PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this isn't true....... [Leo DiCaprio to play Alan Turing?]

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Leo DiCaprio is to play Alan Turing in a new film?

Please! Say it isn't so!

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 01:11 AM
This is really weird. I just saw in my TV guide today that Ed Stoppard is playing him - Monday, Channel Four.

Prominent people from history always seem to pop up in multiple places. This film, that TV series, all at once. There's never one show made about a person. They come in crops.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't know Ed Stoppard. Is that good or bad?

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Son of the playwright Tom Stoppard. That's all I know about him. But I'll be watching. Let's make it a date!

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't mind. DiCaprio can act and Turing had a somewhat youthful face, so I think Leo could pull it off pretty well.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 01:56 AM
DiCaprio can act? Not in my experience but if you say so.....

Celia Cyanide
11-18-2011, 02:16 AM
DiCaprio can act? Not in my experience but if you say so.....

Yes, he can.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 02:17 AM
In your opinion.

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 02:47 AM
I mean, dude does have 3 Academy Award noms and has been acclaimed by multiple critics in several movies. He's not just a pretty face. Not that this has to change your opinion, obviously, but it's not like people are just randomly stating "he can act" with nothing to back up their stance. The kid's got chops.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 02:50 AM
I tend not to take Academy Award noms that seriously, considering some of the crap that's been nominated.

Anyway, all this is beside the point.

My real point is why is an American actor playing Turing? We've got actors. Good actors.

Hollywood rewriting our history. Again.

Manuel Royal
11-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Well, DiCaprio's an excellent, accomplished actor, so I'm sure he'd do a good job. Just needs a good script. Admittedly, he doesn't look that much like Turing, but he doesn't look that much like J. Edgar Hoover, either. With biographical movies, I think it's more important to communicate the essence of the person (as much as that's possible) than to get a look-alike.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 02:52 AM
I'll wait till you read my last post, Manuel.

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 02:54 AM
1) Okay, we get it. You don't like di Caprio.
2) I don't see why an actor has to be the same nationality as the person they play. Isn't acting all about pretending to be something you're not?

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 02:54 AM
I tend not to take Academy Award noms that seriously, considering some of the crap that's been nominated.

My real point is why is an American actor playing Turing? We've got actors. Good actors.

C'mon. Hollywood regularly casts Europeans and Australians as Americans. Russel Crowe played John Forbes Nash for God's sake. Freaking Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson once dueled as American Civil War vets who had it out for each other. That's not "rewriting history." It's just something that happens with casting. I mean, I could see if it was Tom Hanks playing Desmond Tutu or something, but the whole "different nationality" thing... meh...

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Not in this case, no.

I'm just fed up with Hollywood rewriting everyone else's history.

What happened at Bletchley is important. Alan Turing is important. But what the hey? Money talks.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 02:57 AM
C'mon. Hollywood regularly casts Europeans and Australians as Americans. Russel Crowe played John Forbes Nash for God's sake. Freaking Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson once dueled as American Civil War vets who had it out for each other. It's just something that happens with casting. I mean, I could see if it was Tom Hanks playing Desmond Tutu or something, but the whole "different nationality" thing... meh...

Exactly. They cast them as American. And if they're not American, they're villians.

Fine if you don't get my point. I'm not really bothered. I ought to be used to having major historical figures from all over the world having American accents by now.

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I don't get it. Were you upset when Eric Bana and Daniel Craig were cast as Mossad Agents hunting down the terrorists responsible for the Munich Massacre? Do you get upset everytime "Hollywood rewrites history" by casting someone outside of their nationality? Because, again, it happens. And it's not just Yanks taking roles of Europeans, it goes both ways...

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Exactly. They cast them as American. And if they're not American, they're villians.

Y jole.

Ok, A) yeah, they cast them as American, that's my whole point, it goes both ways. B) if they're not American, they're villains? Uh James Bond? Liam Neeson in Taken. Those are Hollywood movies. Those are non-American heroes speaking with their own hometown accents, frequently kicking a Rainbow Coalition of asses.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 03:02 AM
LOL! Yeah right! Hollywood never rewrites history, does it?

Look, it's too late for this over here and I'm going to bed.

When the film bombs in Britain (like that one about American sailors finding the Enigma machine, instead of the Poles who actually found it) we can talk again.

This shit is important over here. But let's not worry about other people's feeling eh?

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 03:08 AM

When the film bombs in Britain (like that one about American sailors finding the Enigma machine, instead of the Poles who actually found it) we can talk again.

This shit is important over here. But let's not worry about other people's feeling eh?

Oh, don't get all mad because your argument fell apart. I didn't say Hollywood "never rewrites history." Look at what I wrote and actually... you know... read that shit. I just said that the casting of Americans as Europeans, or Europeans as Americans, or Englishmen and Australians as Israelis, etc. etc., is not an example of "rewriting history." There'll probably any number of actual historical inaccuracies in the Turing movie to get upset about, just like there are in every historical flick or biopic. Save the righteous indignation for that...

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 03:32 AM
I can piss all over this thread by saying "Mel Gibson as William Wallace."

What do I win? :D

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 03:37 AM
I can piss all over this thread

Ugh. Give a brother a warning next time...

Zoombie
11-18-2011, 04:13 AM
There's a difference between rewriting history and casting people of different nations and ethnic groups.

One is bad. Like, say, the Last Samurai. Ugh. Retch.

One can be fine. Like, say, Master and Commander. That had a New Zealander playing a British naval captain. It was also an awesome movie, one of my favorites.

So long as they don't depict Turing as a playboy who bangs loads of chicks while fighting Nazi super scientists with his sword-cane, I'll be happy.

...actually, I'd pay to see a movie like that, but only if Turing was like Captain Jack Harkness and seduced all the boys.

benbradley
11-18-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm not much into movies, but Turing is an enigmatic (pun intended) character.

There's no question that Hollywood rewrites history, but I thought that was done in the script, not in the casting.

Steve Coate
11-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Freedom!

And just to stay on topic, it doesn't bother me to see actors of one nationality playing persons of another nationality. That's acting. It's why thespians practice accents and mannerisms from around the globe. They get awards for that kind of thing from their peers.

Diana Hignutt
11-18-2011, 03:09 PM
We let a Brit play Batman, ofr Pete's sake. Kermit Bale's brother, I believe...

BTW, put me in the Dicaprio can act. He can sooo act...he's one of my favorites actors...

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
The Beach
Inception
Blood Diamond
The Departed
Gangs of New York
Shutter Island

Some of my very fav movies and he does a phenomenal job in those just to name a few...(yes, I know I left a big one out...but...he wasn't really that great in that one...and besides if Kate Winslet just moved her fat ass over...Leo wouldn't have drowned...)

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
What do people think of The Aviator?

Diana Hignutt
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
What do people think of The Aviator?

That one...I didn't love...but I'm not sure why not...

scarletpeaches
11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I didn't think he was gaunt enough to play Hughes, and too handsome.

When I saw it at the cinema, some kids a few rows in front spent the whole time laughing at the things he did due to his OCD, which made me want to punch them. And they laughed at Cate Blanchett's accent. I thought, "Little bastids probably don't have a clue who Katherine Hepburn even was."

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Gangs of New York? Really?

Although to be fair, that wasn't Leo's fault, it was the director. That film was melodramatic crap from start to finish. In my opinion, obviously.

Diana Hignutt
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Gangs of New York? Really?

Although to be fair, that wasn't Leo's fault, it was the director. That film was melodramatic crap from start to finish. In my opinion, obviously.

Apparently, we have differing opinions, but I think that's okay.

BenPanced
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
*should know the name Alan Turing but goes off to look him up on GoodSearch, anyway*

Archerbird
11-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Yes you do. But I have a similar question. Why is Daniel Day Lewis playing Lincoln in Spielbergs Lincoln?

Does it matter where the actors come from as long as they're good enough?

Ugh, anyway. I hope they make the movie, but without DiCaprio, because he's a horrible actor, not because he's American.

crunchyblanket
11-18-2011, 06:12 PM
and besides if Kate Winslet just moved her fat ass over...Leo wouldn't have drowned...
Give me Kate Winslet's fat ass any day of the week ;)

I'm indifferent to DiCaprio. He's had good performances and awful ones, and that's fine. The awful perfomances seem to occur in films that are awful all round, so maybe it's a case of finding the right director for him.

Anyway, I hear he's been rumoured for the role of Norman Jayden in the adaptation of Heavy Rain, which...well, he could pull off, I think, although he looks all wrong. Better than Keanu Reeves, though. Nobody has any idea what I'm on about, do they? /slinks away

Jcomp
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Give me Kate Winslet's fat ass any day of the week ;)

Amen, brotha.

The one movie I really didn't quite dig Dicaprio in was Gangs of New York, but I think a good many people in that flick just suffered in comparison to the F5 storm of awesomeness that is Daniel Day Lewis. Once you have Lewis and Liam Neeson verbally and then physically spar in the opening scene of your flick, it's virtually impossible to go uphill from there.

SirOtter
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
And they laughed at Cate Blanchett's accent. I thought, "Little bastids probably don't have a clue who Katherine Hepburn even was."

I do, and I cringed every time she was on screen. It was the most grotesque performance I've seen since Lon Chaney played the Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was damned near painful to watch. I was stunned when she won the Oscar for it.

mirandashell
11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Save the righteous indignation for that...

Oh don't worry. I will.

gothicangel
11-19-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm indifferent to DiCaprio. He's had good performances and awful ones, and that's fine. The awful perfomances seem to occur in films that are awful all round, so maybe it's a case of finding the right director for him.

Same here. My attitude to Dicaprio is 'meh.'

I was 17 when Titanic came out, and yeah I thought he was brilliant. I watched it again and I cringed all the way through. I thought Winslet was good despite the dodgy script though.

gothicangel
11-19-2011, 01:40 AM

When actors like Tommy Lee Jones can win for films like The Fugitive [good film, but oscar material?], you know something is wrong.

mirandashell
11-19-2011, 01:43 AM
I think the Oscars stopped being about the quality of the films a long time ago.

BenPanced
11-19-2011, 01:50 AM
http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/000k0a2d

Haggis
11-19-2011, 01:56 AM

You win Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon. :)

Jcomp
11-19-2011, 02:04 AM
You win Anthony Hopkins as Richard Nixon. :)

I thought she won Kenneth Branagh as FDR.

eyeblink
11-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Put me in the "DiCaprio can certainly act" corner.

I remember people asking why Meryl Streep was cast as Lindy Chamberlain in Evil Angels (aka A Cry in the Dark outside Oz) when an Australian could have played her. Not that Streep wasn't very good in that role. We're now about to get Streep as Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. I'll suspend comment as I haven't seen it, though the fact that it's from the same director as Mamma Mia! doesn't inspire confidence. (Not that Mamma Mia! isn't enjoyable, but it was never the best-directed film out there.)

mirandashell
11-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Bloody hell...... Meryl Streep?

Can Hollywood leave nothing alone? They really are opening a HUGE can of worms with that one!

And not because it's Meryl Streep.

Over here, Thatcher is either adored or hated. And I mean hated. Not disliked. Hated.

Boy oh boy, this will be fun.......

gothicangel
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Over here, Thatcher is either adored or hated. And I mean hated. Not disliked. Hated.

The queue to hand her over to Satan is already forming in the north . . .

gothicangel
11-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll suspend comment as I haven't seen it, though the fact that it's from the same director as Mamma Mia! doesn't inspire confidence. (Not that Mamma Mia! isn't enjoyable, but it was never the best-directed film out there.)

Now there is someone I would like to shoot for forcing Amanda Seyfried on to cinema audiences.

Victoria
11-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Okay, Henry Cavill as Superman. Yeah, I know he's a fictional character, but lots of folks are pissed about a Brit playing the iconic American superhero. Personally, I think he's gonna rock it out hard. Why does it matter who plays the character as long as they do it well? And goddamn he fills out that suit...

mirandashell
11-20-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't blame them being pissed about it. I would be.

The Lonely One
11-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Why not just wait until the movie comes out before forming an opinion?

I've enjoyed movies with actors I disliked in other roles. For instance Johnny Depp is a pretty face but he's also a legit actor. Fear & Loathing? Sweeny Todd? Edward Scissor Hands? etc.

Pirates was pretty much hollywood recycling movie after movie, but
the guy's got it.

Jim Carrey's comedy is waaaay too slapstick for me; I don't think he's funny, to be honest. But his roles in The Majestic, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine, The Truman Show, have really snuck him into my heart.

Maybe Leo's just been type-casted into certain roles. And I don't think Titanic really showed what he could do...

He was in the Outsiders, which I didn't know. Don't think he had a large role, though. He's also casted for the Great Gatsby, which is in production now.

And hollywood is a known evil on our side of the lake, too. No one pretends it isn't. Though every so often they produce something worthwhile.

America does have a tendency to make Jesus white and all, but ethnocentric propaganda is a problem anywhere there are borders.

Not trying to change your opinion but I'm more inclined to judge the individual performance rather than the actor.

The Lonely One
11-21-2011, 05:22 AM
I don't blame them being pissed about it. I would be.

Also, this is almost starting to sound nationalistic and anti-this country or the other. For Christ's sake Super Man isn't AMERICAN he's from a dead planet trillions of miles away. True, he grew up on a farm but the farm was in Metropolis. Please point to Metropolis on a map.

Victoria
11-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Also, this is almost starting to sound nationalistic and anti-this country or the other. For Christ's sake Super Man isn't AMERICAN he's from a dead planet trillions of miles away. True, he grew up on a farm but the farm was in Metropolis. Please point to Metropolis on a map.

Bingolicious, buddy...all except for the fact that the farm was in Smallville, KS, definitely in America. Supes is the world's hero, not just America's. Still, you can be born anywhere and become an American citizen, which I think he eventually did...? Anyway, I was just pointing out the fact that some people have a serious problem with their heroes being protrayed by actors not of the same nationality as the OP does, at least in this case.

The Lonely One
11-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Bingolicious, buddy...all except for the fact that the farm was in Smallville, KS, definitely in America. Supes is the world's hero, not just America's. Still, you can be born anywhere and become an American citizen, which I think he eventually did...? Anyway, I was just pointing out the fact that some people have a serious problem with their heroes being protrayed by actors not of the same nationality as the OP does, at least in this case.

Oops I was more of a Batman/Green Lantern man myself, knew I might get some of that a little wrong...still, I think superheroes are fair game.

Plus with foreigners playing roles from other countries, there's something exciting about an actor spending so much time learning an accent. Make them work for their moneyz!

Satori1977
11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Add me to the DiCaprio can act. I had my doubts about him when he was younger, thinking he would fade away and no one would notice. But I have been quite impressed with him lately, and cannot wait to watch J. Edgar.

I also agree people need to watch the damn movie before forming an opinion. Just like what I say to my kids when they claim to not like something."Have you tried it?" "No." "Then you can't say you don't like it."

I don't care what your nationality is, as long as you do the role justice. As for rewriting history, Hollywood takes some (major) liberties at times. But that has nothing to do with the actors, or their ability to do the role. Don't confuse the two.

Diana Hignutt
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

I have an official DC comics Map of America from the 80's, I think.

Metropolis is about where Dover, DE is. Gotham's near where Millville, NJ is.

And, as has been pointed out, Smallville is not Metropolis.

scarletpeaches
11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Why not just wait until the movie comes out before forming an opinion?Don't be silly.

mirandashell
11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Ok, I probably need to explain myself a bit here.

My problem with the Alan Turing film is not really Leo. I don't like him much as an actor but what the hey. A lot of people do.

My real problem with the film is that it's the latest in a long line of films that mess with other people's history. According to Hollywood, America won WWII on their own. I've seen films where America have won battles they weren't even in.

My complaint isn't nationalistic. Not in the sense that no-one should play an actor from somewhere else.

It's the effect these films have that angers me. A lot of kids have grown up in this country with no idea of what happened during a lot of events except what Hollywood tells them happened.

As for actors learning a different accent, how many actually do that? Not many. Usually because they are bad at it and it becomes a distraction.

Normally I just ignore this stuff. But not Turing. He's important. He did important things.

Sorry, but that's how I, and a lot of other people here, feel about it.

scarletpeaches
11-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I can agree with you on that. I'm a Leo fan. Well, not even that much. Admirer? And I don't have a problem with people playing characters of different nationalities. (Except when they do the "We need a villain! Is Rickman available? Give Irons a call!" bullshit.)

What I object to is the rewriting of history in the script itself.

ClockworkMuffin
11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
This is really weird. I just saw in my TV guide today that Ed Stoppard is playing him - Monday, Channel Four.

Prominent people from history always seem to pop up in multiple places. This film, that TV series, all at once. There's never one show made about a person. They come in crops.

Well, 2012 is the 100 year anniversary of Turing's birth, and people are already gearing up for a lot of Alan Turing stuff next year. So that's the reason for the most recent Turing crop :)

Edit: birth, death, apparently it's all the same to me. Edited to correct FACTS because I originally wrote Turing had been dead for 100 years!

veinglory
11-21-2011, 08:48 PM

It is not rewriting history if he can act the part. Can you explain what is being rewritten? I expect the film will be very true to history as his history is very well known and documented.

DiCaprio played the poet Rimbaud pretty convincingly in Total Eclipse, so why not? House is British, the Mentalist is Australian. Good actors can play across nationality.

And he does look a little like Turing.

mirandashell
11-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I think I already answered your question, Veinglory.

And considering Hollywood's record of respecting history, we'll wait and see on the last one.

The Lonely One
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM
I have an official DC comics Map of America from the 80's, I think.

Metropolis is about where Dover, DE is. Gotham's near where Millville, NJ is.

And, as has been pointed out, Smallville is not Metropolis.

Alright, nerds! Sheesh ;)

Missing my main point overall, which was that, c'mon, Obama is waaay more American than Superman. You can imaginarily place Metropolis on a map, or Gotham on a map, but they aren't real places in America. It's a fictitious pseudo-America so there's no historical reason Brits can't play the parts with the correct geographical accents applied.

Also is this a small independent film company making the film or is it one of the major hollywood studios? Might have an effect on the quality and accuracy as compared to sacrificing these things to "MAWR ACTIONS"

veinglory
11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
I think I already answered your question, Veinglory.

And considering Hollywood's record of respecting history, we'll wait and see on the last one.

You answer seemed to be just an assumption that all hollywood movies rewrite history--but actually some do and some don't. It isn't something we know about this film (producer, studio etc?) and so being angry seems a tad premature. Hollywood is just a place, so I think you'd need to look at the creative team's history before jumping to conclusions.

gothicangel
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
You answer seemed to be just an assumption that all hollywood movies rewrite history--but actually some do and some don't. It isn't something we know about this film (producer, studio etc?) and so being angry seems a tad premature. Hollywood is just a place, so I think you'd need to look at the creative team's history before jumping to conclusions.

Could you name some of these films? I would be interested in seeing them.

Rufus Coppertop
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM

A pound of haggis and a black pudding.

Rufus Coppertop
11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
My real problem with the film is that it's the latest in a long line of films that mess with other people's history. According to Hollywood, America won WWII on their own. I've seen films where America have won battles they weren't even in.

I can't bring any to mind that I've actually seen where I was aware of that but I can tell you I know a few fellow Aussies who nearly spewed when watching the one about the Enigma machine.

What I object to is the rewriting of history in the script itself. This.

dpaterso
11-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Leo DiCaprio is to play Alan Turing in a new film?
Please! Say it isn't so!
I don't see it announced on his imdb profile: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

-Derek

Haggis
11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
A pound of haggis and a black pudding.
:Wha:

mirandashell
11-22-2011, 04:42 PM

So would I cos I don't think I've ever seen one.

Diana Hignutt
11-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Hmmm...the only thing I've got...is the Hollywood treatment of The Ghost and the Darkness which is pretty much spot on according to the two accounts of the two witnesses who survived. More true story than history though...

ETA: American Val Kilmer plays an Irish colonel in the Royal Corps of Engineers...

Alpha Echo
11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't mind. DiCaprio can act and Turing had a somewhat youthful face, so I think Leo could pull it off pretty well.

Yes, he can.

I agree. I think he's actually a pretty damn good actor. Just watched him in Shutter Island, actually.

(Now to read the rest of the thread and find out why some don't think he's such a good actor)

Diana Hignutt
11-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh my Gosh, how did I leave The Man in the Iron Mask off my list of great movies that Leo is in. Put in on there.

gothicangel
11-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Hmmm...the only thing I've got...is the Hollywood treatment of The Ghost and the Darkness which is pretty much spot on according to the two accounts of the two witnesses who survived. More true story than history though...

ETA: American Val Kilmer plays an Irish colonel in the Royal Corps of Engineers...

I'll check those out. Thanks.

I remember reading about historical accuracy in Gladiator. Remember, this is a film in which Ridley Scott want to be accurate as possible, so he hired a team of historians, one resigned and one refused to allow the use of his name on the credits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_accuracy_of_Gladiator_(2000_film)

gothicangel
11-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh my Gosh, how did I leave The Man in the Iron Mask off my list of great movies that Leo is in. Put in on there.

I loved that when it first came out. Wore out the VHS [back in the day. :D]

Still has the best casting to date of the Musketeers. Gorgeous looking film, too.

gothicangel
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
(Now to read the rest of the thread and find out why some don't think he's such a good actor)

I wish he would take some smaller films.

It wouldn't hurt for him to mix it up a bit, every film doesn't have to be serious. Nothing wrong with doing the odd romantic-flick or historical adventure once in a while.

Rufus Coppertop
11-22-2011, 06:56 PM
:Wha:

It's all right, she might not claim the prize! :D

Sai
11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm mostly ticked off at this because it means that this movie will overshadow the Alan Turing play that I, well, err, still have yet to write. But it's on my list!

Also, I'm not really hot on Leo as an actor. He's the kind of actor who strikes me as very methodical. When I watch him, I don't think 'Wow, that detective sure is torn-up over the death of his wife,' I think 'Wow, that actor is really giving a good performance.' But that's bad, as I should be invested in the character. I should forget that there's an actor and just be thinking about the person he's playing. I can never quite to that with Leo. I always feel like I'm watching someone acting instead of someone being.

Plus, I find in the last couple of roles he's taken, he's played his all of his characters in a kind of disjointed, cold style (I'm thinking of Inception, Shutter Island, The Departed) and I think for the role of Alan Turing you need a little more warmth.

Hmm, let's see, if I were casting the film...I think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a swell Alan Turing. He'd be able to nail both the eccentricity and genius while still keeping him human. And he's British, for people who care about that kind of thing.

SPMiller
11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm concerned that the movie's narrative won't focus on Turing's most important accomplishments. But then, that'd only be par for the course where movies are concerned.

MttStrn
11-22-2011, 08:57 PM

While The Ghost and The Darkness is a great film it is not close at all to the true story if you read the book, The Maneaters of Tsavo.

ClockworkMuffin
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Hmm, let's see, if I were casting the film...I think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a swell Alan Turing. He'd be able to nail both the eccentricity and genius while still keeping him human. And he's British, for people who care about that kind of thing.

Yes! I would so go to see that!
I mean, I'll probably go to see it regardless of who plays Turing. But Benedict Cumberbatch would be perfect, and amazing.

Jamiekswriter
11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
...actually, I'd pay to see a movie like that, but only if Turing was like Captain Jack Harkness and seduced all the boys.

Me too.

I suppose mentioning the ridiculous tease that Justin Bieber will play the Dr. in the "proposed" movie will just get rotten tomatoes thrown at me????

Jamiekswriter
11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=gothicangel;6759049]I'll check those out. Thanks.

I remember reading about historical accuracy in Gladiator. Remember, this is a film in which Ridley Scott want to be accurate as possible, so he hired a team of historians, one resigned and one refused to allow the use of his name on the credits.

QUOTE]

There's a great OOPS on the DVD. In the chariot scene in the arena, when one chariot tips over, you can actually see -- plain as day the tanks that powered the chariot.

gothicangel
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=gothicangel;6759049]I'll check those out. Thanks.

QUOTE]

There's a great OOPS on the DVD. In the chariot scene in the arena, when one chariot tips over, you can actually see -- plain as day the tanks that powered the chariot.

Love it. :)

mirandashell
11-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah, good shout!

That I would be happy with. Now we just need to talk to the writers.....

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2011, 12:15 AM

Sorry, but I just have to say this...Batman is not British. And if you think Batman is not important to American people, just because he isn't a real person, think again. Ironically, Bale was trashing DiCaprio for acting in a film based on a British book, and then he ended up playing Batman.

It is not just my opinion that DiCaprio can act. He has proven that he can. I have worked with people who truly can't act, and they don't get very far. I don't know what it is about DiCaprio that people constantly point to the 1 or 2 performances in which he isn't very good, and say "he can't act." Any decent actor who has been around that long has also given a few performances that were less than stellar. It doesn't mean they aren't talented people.

James Dean was brilliant in every movie he did. All 3 of them. Had he lived, he probably would have had some low points in his career as well.

mirandashell
11-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Errr what? I didn't say anything about Batman. I think that was someone else.

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2011, 12:26 AM

No, you didn't. I did. If you think DiCaprio should not play Alan Turing because he isn't British, then shouldn't I be just as pissed off about Bale playing Batman because he isn't American?

mirandashell
11-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Yep.

Actually, you should just be pissed off with Christian Bale. I know I am.

Maxx
11-23-2011, 01:05 AM

While the Poles did figure out how to decode some Enigma stuff early on and did manage to get this know-how out to their Western Allies, it may be worth noting that:

1) the machine was available commercially before the war
2) there were a number of different coding systems using the machine
3) Bletchly broke the Luftwaffe codes (and many Army codes) very early and never lost them (thanks, Poles, Turing, Welsh (?) et ali)
4) all the "history" (romance?) seems to cluster around the naval enigma codes and there the RN did move things along by capturing various U-boats and/or their code books and rotors.
5) But the USA did build a vast array of the more successful code-breaking machines and Turing did help out with that

So there's enough history there for everybody. Except the Germans. Who plum ran themselves right out of history fortunately.

mirandashell
11-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Yep.

Actually, you should just be pissed off with Christian Bale. I know I am.

Errrmmmm...... Just in case I upset anyone with the above..... I was kidding. Sorry.

I'm English, I can't help it. Sarcasm is coded into my genome.

In fact, every time you see a post on this board, assume I'm not serious. Unless I say I am.

That's probably safest for everyone.

And yes I'm being serious.

I think.....

gothicangel
11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
It is not just my opinion that DiCaprio can act. He has proven that he can.

Also, I'm not really hot on Leo as an actor. He's the kind of actor who strikes me as very methodical. When I watch him, I don't think 'Wow, that detective sure is torn-up over the death of his wife,' I think 'Wow, that actor is really giving a good performance.' But that's bad, as I should be invested in the character. I should forget that there's an actor and just be thinking about the person he's playing. I can never quite to that with Leo. I always feel like I'm watching someone acting instead of someone being.

Plus, I find in the last couple of roles he's taken, he's played his all of his characters in a kind of disjointed, cold style (I'm thinking of Inception, Shutter Island, The Departed) and I think for the role of Alan Turing you need a little more warmth.

I think Sai has hit the nail on the head here. Dicaprio isn't connecting to his audience on an emotional level [perhaps why the Academy have yet to recognise him?]

I really enjoyed The Basketball Diaries and Catch Me If You Can. But of late he leaves me cold. So much so, I would rather watch lesser actors over a Dicaprio movie.

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Errrmmmm...... Just in case I upset anyone with the above..... I was kidding. Sorry.

Heh, no I got that. :)

Really, it doesn't bother me too much that actors are cast as characters different to their nationalities. But it did bother me that Bale was complaining about it, and then accepted the role of Batman. Batman is not just a character who happens to be an American. He's a very significant part of American culture.

mirandashell
11-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Totally. So I think we actually agree on this one.... LOL!

CB is an idiot anyway. I wouldn't pay any attention to what he says.

Actually, do you want keep him? You can have him with our blessing. The UK's average IQ went up when he left......

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2011, 02:20 AM
I think Sai has hit the nail on the head here. Dicaprio isn't connecting to his audience on an emotional level.

And I completely and utterly disagree. I didn't really like Shutter Island, and I think part of the reason was that he made me sympathize with his character way too much. I got the sense that I was supposed to think he had done something very wrong. When all I saw was a good man who had been pushed way past all reasonable limits.

And I loved The Departed, but he was the only character I connected with emotionally at all.

crunchyblanket
11-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I think Sai has hit the nail on the head here. Dicaprio isn't connecting to his audience on an emotional level.

That's interesting, and I think you're on to something here. I've enjoyed his performances in certain films but, save for Gilbert Grape, have never actually found myself connecting with his characters. Inception was a glaring example of this for me - I thought Cobb was well-crafted and the performance was great, but I cared more about the minor characters than I did him. And it was essentially his story, so...

Diana Hignutt
11-23-2011, 04:36 PM

That was me, sorry...

Diana Hignutt
11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry, but I just have to say this...Batman is not British. And if you think Batman is not important to American people, just because he isn't a real person, think again. Ironically, Bale was trashing DiCaprio for acting in a film based on a British book, and then he ended up playing Batman.

It is not just my opinion that DiCaprio can act. He has proven that he can. I have worked with people who truly can't act, and they don't get very far. I don't know what it is about DiCaprio that people constantly point to the 1 or 2 performances in which he isn't very good, and say "he can't act." Any decent actor who has been around that long has also given a few performances that were less than stellar. It doesn't mean they aren't talented people.

James Dean was brilliant in every movie he did. All 3 of them. Had he lived, he probably would have had some low points in his career as well.

Wait, was that after Bale played the title role in American Psycho? Snicker...

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Wait, was that after Bale played the title role in American Psycho? Snicker...

Actually...it was around the time that American Psycho was going to be made. A producer got involved who wanted DiCaprio instead of Bale. Bale was jealous.

American Psycho was one movie in which I actually liked Bale, but the irony of him playing that role, and then Batman, after what he said about DiCaprio was not lost on me.

crunchyblanket
11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Christian Bale is a knobhead.

Sai
12-27-2013, 10:32 PM

First stills of Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing (http://www.thewrap.com/benedict-cumberbatch-alan-turing-imitation-game-first-look-photo). Boo-yah! I'd high-five my 2011 self except we'd cause a temporal conundrum that would destroy the world.