Please tell me this isn't true....... [Leo DiCaprio to play Alan Turing?]

Reaction score
This is really weird. I just saw in my TV guide today that Ed Stoppard is playing him - Monday, Channel Four.

Prominent people from history always seem to pop up in multiple places. This film, that TV series, all at once. There's never one show made about a person. They come in crops.

Reaction score
Son of the playwright Tom Stoppard. That's all I know about him. But I'll be watching. Let's make it a date!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind. DiCaprio can act and Turing had a somewhat youthful face, so I think Leo could pull it off pretty well.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, dude does have 3 Academy Award noms and has been acclaimed by multiple critics in several movies. He's not just a pretty face. Not that this has to change your opinion, obviously, but it's not like people are just randomly stating "he can act" with nothing to back up their stance. The kid's got chops.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I tend not to take Academy Award noms that seriously, considering some of the crap that's been nominated.

Anyway, all this is beside the point.

My real point is why is an American actor playing Turing? We've got actors. Good actors.

Hollywood rewriting our history. Again.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, DiCaprio's an excellent, accomplished actor, so I'm sure he'd do a good job. Just needs a good script. Admittedly, he doesn't look that much like Turing, but he doesn't look that much like J. Edgar Hoover, either. With biographical movies, I think it's more important to communicate the essence of the person (as much as that's possible) than to get a look-alike.

Reaction score
1) Okay, we get it. You don't like di Caprio.
2) I don't see why an actor has to be the same nationality as the person they play. Isn't acting all about pretending to be something you're not?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend not to take Academy Award noms that seriously, considering some of the crap that's been nominated.

My real point is why is an American actor playing Turing? We've got actors. Good actors.

C'mon. Hollywood regularly casts Europeans and Australians as Americans. Russel Crowe played John Forbes Nash for God's sake. Freaking Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson once dueled as American Civil War vets who had it out for each other. That's not "rewriting history." It's just something that happens with casting. I mean, I could see if it was Tom Hanks playing Desmond Tutu or something, but the whole "different nationality" thing... meh...

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Not in this case, no.

I'm just fed up with Hollywood rewriting everyone else's history.

What happened at Bletchley is important. Alan Turing is important. But what the hey? Money talks.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
C'mon. Hollywood regularly casts Europeans and Australians as Americans. Russel Crowe played John Forbes Nash for God's sake. Freaking Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson once dueled as American Civil War vets who had it out for each other. It's just something that happens with casting. I mean, I could see if it was Tom Hanks playing Desmond Tutu or something, but the whole "different nationality" thing... meh...

Exactly. They cast them as American. And if they're not American, they're villians.

Fine if you don't get my point. I'm not really bothered. I ought to be used to having major historical figures from all over the world having American accents by now.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. Were you upset when Eric Bana and Daniel Craig were cast as Mossad Agents hunting down the terrorists responsible for the Munich Massacre? Do you get upset everytime "Hollywood rewrites history" by casting someone outside of their nationality? Because, again, it happens. And it's not just Yanks taking roles of Europeans, it goes both ways...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. They cast them as American. And if they're not American, they're villians.

Y jole.

Ok, A) yeah, they cast them as American, that's my whole point, it goes both ways. B) if they're not American, they're villains? Uh James Bond? Liam Neeson in Taken. Those are Hollywood movies. Those are non-American heroes speaking with their own hometown accents, frequently kicking a Rainbow Coalition of asses.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
LOL! Yeah right! Hollywood never rewrites history, does it?

Look, it's too late for this over here and I'm going to bed.

When the film bombs in Britain (like that one about American sailors finding the Enigma machine, instead of the Poles who actually found it) we can talk again.

This shit is important over here. But let's not worry about other people's feeling eh?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Yeah right! Hollywood never rewrites history, does it?

Look, it's too late for this over here and I'm going to bed.

When the film bombs in Britain (like that one about American sailors finding the Enigma machine, instead of the Poles who actually found it) we can talk again.

This shit is important over here. But let's not worry about other people's feeling eh?

Oh, don't get all mad because your argument fell apart. I didn't say Hollywood "never rewrites history." Look at what I wrote and actually... you know... read that shit. I just said that the casting of Americans as Europeans, or Europeans as Americans, or Englishmen and Australians as Israelis, etc. etc., is not an example of "rewriting history." There'll probably any number of actual historical inaccuracies in the Turing movie to get upset about, just like there are in every historical flick or biopic. Save the righteous indignation for that...

Reaction score
I can piss all over this thread by saying "Mel Gibson as William Wallace."

What do I win? :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference between rewriting history and casting people of different nations and ethnic groups.

One is bad. Like, say, the Last Samurai. Ugh. Retch.

One can be fine. Like, say, Master and Commander. That had a New Zealander playing a British naval captain. It was also an awesome movie, one of my favorites.

So long as they don't depict Turing as a playboy who bangs loads of chicks while fighting Nazi super scientists with his sword-cane, I'll be happy.

...actually, I'd pay to see a movie like that, but only if Turing was like Captain Jack Harkness and seduced all the boys.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much into movies, but Turing is an enigmatic (pun intended) character.

There's no question that Hollywood rewrites history, but I thought that was done in the script, not in the casting.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
I can piss all over this thread by saying "Mel Gibson as William Wallace."

What do I win? :D

Freedom!

And just to stay on topic, it doesn't bother me to see actors of one nationality playing persons of another nationality. That's acting. It's why thespians practice accents and mannerisms from around the globe. They get awards for that kind of thing from their peers.

Last edited: