I'm the writer, the creator. So how do my characters keep taking over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I had written and completed a book. I'm now revising it for a publisher. During this process, my male character decided he no longer wanted to be a Choctaw with long hair, but a white man with short hair (think Sam Worthington) with blue eyes. Huh? I'm the creator. How did everything change while it was in the drawer?

Do all characters conspire when we're not looking, just decide to not only change their looks, but their race and personality, as well? I'm assuming this is my subconscious mind telling me the original male wasn't right for this story?

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Did you change him accidentally?

My characters are odd. My MC is nuts and female lead is too righteous.

My MC takes the world for a nice turn or two. He starts to change my story as I write, so yeah, he does take over sometimes.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's weird when that happens. Of course it isn't actually the characters taking over, but something in our subconscious or . . . something. Still I know what that's like. I wrote a very small role of a servant boy at the beginning of my latest, and suddenly he became a major secondary character. He just wormed his way into the story. And I'm so happy he did :) .

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
They definitely conspire against you when you close the file. Last time I opened my WIP there was a sentence I didn't write, in bold red type, that simply said If you do what I think you're going to do to me, you'll regret it.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
They definitely conspire against you when you close the file. Last time I opened my WIP there was a sentence I didn't write, in bold red type, that simply said If you do what I think you're going to do to me, you'll regret it.

Okay, that would freak me the hell out...and it takes a lot to spook me!!!

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I was recently working on my WIP and one of my MCs instructed me not to write a poem in a certain way, so I can sort of relate.

I guess our characters become alive in the process and take on their own kind of meaning while we're busy trying to write them out on intangible paper.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Probably just means you've built up some strong elements of storytelling that have enough umph to sway you in one direction or the other, kind of as if they have a personality of their own.

Just one theory.

AutumnWrite

Old enough to know better
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At first, I would get really stubborn when they insisted on going in a way I hadn't invisioned, or being something I hadn't pictured. But I'm getting used to it. I let them tell me who they are...for the most part.

Reaction score
I love it when this happens. They take on a life of their own. It freaks some people out, but not me. It shows "It's alive! IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!!"

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Hee! I love it when this happens. I don't kid myself into thinking I'm the creator. I'm merely a conduit for the characters. Yep, I'm a dumb pipe.

AutumnWrite

Old enough to know better
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The really weird thing for me was, how right they were...they are alive.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I had a story (screenplay, actually) that my MC's girlfriend kept bouncing back and forth between dying in a plane crash and not getting on the plane in the first place.

Woman has more lives than a cat..... :crazy:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I tend to treat my fiction writing as more of an interview process.

I'm the neutral, noncommittal interviewer recording everything while asking the characters "Go on", or "Then what happened?" If they deviate from a direction I can use, I either steer them back or dig deeper until I find something more interesting than my original plan.

Now, I don't really *believe* I'm a conduit for other intelligences. I made these characters and their universe. But once I've given them enough personality and history, it really is like guiding an interview session.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
It's weird when that happens. Of course it isn't actually the characters taking over, but something in our subconscious or . . . something. Still I know what that's like. I wrote a very small role of a servant boy at the beginning of my latest, and suddenly he became a major secondary character. He just wormed his way into the story. And I'm so happy he did :) .

Those damn servant boys! I have one in mine who was supposed to be a very minor character, but is ending up being much more important to my MC than I intended him to be. He's become such a sweetheart. It's going to be sad when I have to kill him.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
Not just my MC does it. One of my antagonists decided he wanted to jump my MC two scenes earlier (right when I was down to my last 9 scenes). he ended up abducting two supporting character who were supposed to be in the next few scenes. I lost two scenes in the process, but all in all, it's turned out better for the story. :)

Reifier

No Stamina
Registered
Reaction score
Those damn servant boys! I have one in mine who was supposed to be a very minor character, but is ending up being much more important to my MC than I intended him to be. He's become such a sweetheart. It's going to be sad when I have to kill him.

I Lol'd.

But yea, I use to wonder at some of the authors talking about their characters doing whatever it is they wanted and I would think - the hell?!

Then I realized that its been happening to me all along, that my characters are sneaky, insidious individuals. D'oh!

Isn't there's a name for this affliction..? and a place reserved for that matter...

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I Lol'd.

But yea, I use to wonder at some of the authors talking about their characters doing whatever it is they wanted and I would think - the hell?!

Then I realized that its been happening to me all along, that my characters are sneaky, insidious individuals. D'oh!

Isn't there's a name for this affliction..? and a place reserved for that matter...

Not sure about the name, but you're already in the right place. Here at AW you have many who will sympathize with you. ;)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I still remember the cardboard villain I tried to write a decade or so ago. He acted out of character, would never do what I told him, and generally derailed the story. Until I had a clear epiphany that he actually wasn't a villain, but the sympathetic protagonist my story needed. I switched gears, and we had a great time. I might even go back and revise his story, if I'm lucky enough to find a publisher for my current work.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
It's simply your inherent knowledge of people (most probably acquired by observation and empathy) taking over- which in my opinion, this is what being a writer is about.

It makes sense to you, in terms of consistency and understanding of the human nature, that you character would do something different than what you want him to do as the plot-structuring master. Which, for me, is brilliant. I always believed that the best plots stem from character, not in the sense that plot-driven stories are any lesser (not at all), but that story and plot exist in a bidirectional dynamic. Sometimes characters adjust to plots, and vice versa, but it's important it all makes sense and flows naturally.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a very small role of a servant boy at the beginning of my latest, and suddenly he became a major secondary character. He just wormed his way into the story. And I'm so happy he did :) .

Hah. Same thing happened to me. Only with a young space pilot, who was supposed to fly my MC from planet A to asteroid B. Now the whole manuscript revolves around this pilot, and his relationship with the MC.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters recently decided to tell me that she'd been on a cheerleading squad at one time. It has changed quite a bit how I originally envisioned her.

Status
Not open for further replies.