PDA

View Full Version : Interval between querying another novel

Dgullen
11-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I have two novels I'm looking for representation for, one's near-future SF, the other is contemporary urban fantasy, so target agents/agencies are similar. I wondered what peoples opinions are on how soon it is sensible to query the second novel after querying the first to any given agent.
My main worry is I don't want to give the impression I'm just churning through the trunk novels - I'm not, I'm proud of them both. On the other hand should I not worry and let the work speak for iteslf?

Thanks,

Dave

LydiaNetzer
11-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Pitch one -- choose your best work, or if you can't decide, think of what would work the best as a first novel. If you get a hit on that one, you can always pitch the other one and talk to the agent about it as a possibility. Even if you get a request for a partial, and then it doesn't work out, you can come back with the other book. But definitely do not pitch two novels in your first query.

Drachen Jager
11-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I'd give it a month. They're not very likely to remember your name after that time-period, unless they were impressed or your query was so god-awful they tacked it up on the office pin-board for a laugh. Either way it can't hurt to query again after a month.

Chalula88
11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree with Drachen Jager, I don't think there's anyway they would remember you after a month.

MandyHubbard
11-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Yes, I'd give it a month as well-- after you receive your rejection, that is, not just a month apart. I don't tend to look at the names so much as the pitch itself.

If you get a full request and it comes really close, then consider mentioning the other as a reply. That's the only time i'd reccomend replying to a rejection with a pitch.

one of my clients was someone I rejected who replied in this way!

thothguard51
11-19-2011, 04:07 AM
31 days, 17 hours, and 28 minutes and not a minute sooner...