Interval between querying another novel

Dgullen

Ustom Ser Itle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgullen.com
Hi everyone,

I have two novels I'm looking for representation for, one's near-future SF, the other is contemporary urban fantasy, so target agents/agencies are similar. I wondered what peoples opinions are on how soon it is sensible to query the second novel after querying the first to any given agent.
My main worry is I don't want to give the impression I'm just churning through the trunk novels - I'm not, I'm proud of them both. On the other hand should I not worry and let the work speak for iteslf?

Thanks,

Dave

LydiaNetzer

If the crockpot fits...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lydianetzer.blogspot.com
Pitch one -- choose your best work, or if you can't decide, think of what would work the best as a first novel. If you get a hit on that one, you can always pitch the other one and talk to the agent about it as a possibility. Even if you get a request for a partial, and then it doesn't work out, you can come back with the other book. But definitely do not pitch two novels in your first query.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'd give it a month. They're not very likely to remember your name after that time-period, unless they were impressed or your query was so god-awful they tacked it up on the office pin-board for a laugh. Either way it can't hurt to query again after a month.

Chalula88

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Drachen Jager, I don't think there's anyway they would remember you after a month.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Yes, I'd give it a month as well-- after you receive your rejection, that is, not just a month apart. I don't tend to look at the names so much as the pitch itself.

If you get a full request and it comes really close, then consider mentioning the other as a reply. That's the only time i'd reccomend replying to a rejection with a pitch.

one of my clients was someone I rejected who replied in this way!