Questions on gunshot wounds

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
1. How long would it take to die if you sever a branch of the pulmonary artery?

2. I've heard of cases of people living with a bullet permanently lodged in their lung. Does this really happen?

3. Where exactly on the body would you have to get shot in order for the bullet to hit the brachial plexus?

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
1) Seconds to a couple of minutes. Very fast. For all intents and purposes it's about the same as being shot through the heart.

2) Could happen, a Chinese guy had a 9" blade in his head for ten years without noticing (seriously, look it up).

Brachial_Plexus.jpg

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
1) Seconds to a couple of minutes. Very fast. For all intents and purposes it's about the same as being shot through the heart.

Damn, I need something a little bit slower (5-10 minutes).

I wanted this character to get shot in the chest area. Heart is obviously out.

There is a healer in the vicinity. Her magic isn't working, but she probably has enough supplies and know-how to make a chest-tube apparatus, so the wound has to do more than cause a pneumothorax.

What if the bullet punctures an artery or vein farther down in the lung? Is that still instant death? Or what happens if a bullet hits one of the lower bronchi?

MTaillard

Registered
Reaction score
Pulmonary artery is pretty hard core but like anything else it depends on how bad the damage is. If its just a little nick then a little quick clot and you'll be fine. Completely sever it and you can still survive it but only if you have someone to help stem the blood loss and get you immediately to the hospital. Even with quick clot and constant pressure, you're talking maybe 30 minutes.

A bullet permanently lodged in the lung? Well, the limit of my expertise on this subject is the immediate care of a wound. I really don't know anything about the long term effects. I don't remember where I heard this but I vaguely remember hearing that any solid object in the lungs will cause the lung to... do something or other that would hurt your ability to breath. Was it grow scar tissue? Fill with fluid? It was one of those things I overheard but didn't pay attention to because I didn't care at the time, so maybe someone else can elaborate. The breaking burgundy said, the brain can take a lot. Go read the case of Phinneus Gage. This guy got a railroad spike through the brain, which caused brain to squeeze out of his head when he sneezed, and survived for quite a while afterwards.

Last edited: