The Immortals

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this yet? I'm thinking about going this Friday, but as broke as I am, I need to make it count. Still, can anything with Henry Cavill really be bad?

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen it but the review I have seen are terrible. I'll see it eventually because I love Greek mythology but no way am I paying full price. It looks like they beat the Theseus myth to a bloody pulp then threw it in a blender. Seriously, after this and Clash of the Titans, can anyone make a Greek Mythology movie that actually sticks to the myth? The closest has probably been the movie version of Tre Lightning Thief and that was terrible.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't seen it but the review I have seen are terrible. I'll see it eventually because I love Greek mythology but no way am I paying full price. It looks like they beat the Theseus myth to a bloody pulp then threw it in a blender. Seriously, after this and Clash of the Titans, can anyone make a Greek Mythology movie that actually sticks to the myth? The closest has probably been the movie version of Tre Lightning Thief and that was terrible.

The original Clash of the Titans was actually pretty decent, albeit cheesy effects, and stuck to the original myth. Hollywood just seems to be interested in all action an no content these days, which is a shame, because I'd actually pay to see a good story being told.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
The story's not that bad--it really has nothing to do with the Theseus Myth, except a labrynth is visited and a man wearing a bull-shaped helmet is inside. Bad continuity (unless there is a sandal store inside said Labrynth). I could have used a lot more of the gods. Not sure what Stephen Dorff was doing in the movie.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Tarsem needs a better script writer. The three movies by him that I've seen - The Cell, The Fall and The Immortals - all have one thing in common.

They.

Are.

Gorgeous.

The Fall, for one, is easily the most beautiful films I have ever seen. It's full of visual flair. The Immortals is stylized as hell, and has some of the best action I've ever seen - in a 300ish way, but without all the icky military fetishism and "foreigners and dark skinned people are teh evils".

But their scripts are TERRIBLE.

TERRIBLLLLEEEEEE.

Now, Tarsem just needs to make a movie set in the Exalted universe.

He'd like it. It has all the mythic stories, exotic locals, and insane action you could want, with a surprisingly good mythology and plot material!

SirTysonius

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it yesterday. It's a typical 'Swords and sandals' epic. But holy gods they played it so loud I started bleeding out of my ears.