PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire vs. iPad vs. Netbook

Jersey Chick
11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Okay, here's the deal, seeing as how I am not what you'd call technologically savvy and tend to lean more toward "Oooh! Shiny!" than "Yes, that would be practical and useful." when it comes to gadgets, I'm throwing this out to see what the general opinion is. And, if it turns out it's wrong, I'll blame you. :D

Anyway, our second laptop died over the summer. Just. Stopped. Working. I finally got around to taking it to someone to see if it can be fixed, only to find out that it would be more cost effective to replace the machine.

But I don't really need to replace it. I have my machine that I work on. The one that died is one the kids use to visit their websites and play whatever games they find on them, and my husband uses it to dick around on FB. That's it. I see buying a whole 'nother laptop just for that.

So, I was thinking a netbook. Or an iPad. And then someone suggested a Kindle Fire. And now my head just might explode.

Which brings me to here...

(and mods, I didn't know exactly where to put this, because it didn't quite seem to fit in the tech subforum. But, if it would be a better fit there, please punt it over. Kthnxbai)

thothguard51
11-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I got my Kindle Fire yesterday and still playing around with it. I knew when I bought it that there are limitations, but I have other devices I can use for important stuff. So far, it's a lot a fun just exploring what I can and cannot do...

What I have already learned, is that I doubt I could pen any novels on one of these devices. Its very frustrating at how sensitive the on screen key pad is and very time consuming compared to desk top or lap top. So for my writing, I think I will keep with my other devices.

So far, I can surf the web, pull up my email, browse my kindle library and pull books and I have even watched a video. The color is very good and its not as hard on the eyes as I thought. I still have a lot of experimenting to do with it before I will be comfortable.

Talk about a way to waste time...

alleycat
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
I just got a Kindle Fire yesterday. I can't really give you a review of it yet but, just going by your post, I would think a netbook, or perhaps an iPad, would be better for what you want to use it for.

aadams73
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Go for the iPad or the netbook; the Fire is just too limited for your needs.

For what it's worth, I have an iPad and it does everything I need. When we traveled recently, I didn't bother taking my MacBook. I'd marry my iPad and have its babies, if I could; that's how cool it is.

However, the netbook is probably a little more cost effective, so it's definitely got that in its favor.

Jersey Chick
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
I love the idea of an iPad - but my son (he's 6) will be using it as well. And I'd hate to have to sell him to the gypsies because he broke the iPad. :D

aadams73
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Well there's definitely that. :D

But the iPad is really pretty sturdy. There's no bits for the little guy to break off, either.

I'm thinking, though, that a netbook might be the way for you to go.

heyjude
11-16-2011, 08:00 PM
My six year old boy uses my iPad just fine. There were heavy lectures at first, threats of death if he dropped it, etc, but it's been fine. As long as they know you can't give it a bath, leave it lying on the floor, like that, the kids do great with it.

ETA: I had a netbook that the kids played with and they hated it. The screen was small, the keyboard was squished... they just never ended up using it. So now they have their own laptop for playing on (I know, they're spoiled rotten). Lots of good Black Friday deals coming up. :)

KellyAssauer
11-16-2011, 08:09 PM
'Tablet' computers were available from several manufacturers two years before Apple launched it's ipad.

The reason you didn't know about this is because no one wanted them... until Apple launched it's ipad.

Mull that over for awhile before you decide if this is something you need, or just something you're being told you need...

=)

-Kells-

cray
11-16-2011, 09:17 PM
'Tablet' computers were available from several manufacturers two years before Apple launched it's ipad.

The reason you didn't know about this is because no one wanted them... until Apple launched it's ipad.

Mull that over for awhile before you decide if this is something you need, or just something you're being told you need...

=)

-Kells-

no one wanted them because they, yanno, sucked.
apple did it right.

and of course it was all set up with the success of the iphone.

Cliff Face
11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
I voted before reading the first post...

Hence, I have voted for Kindle Fire, because I assumed this was going to be about what I would prefer...

But for your purposes, I suppose a netbook could be the way to go. Less breakable than an iPad, easier to use than a Kindle, a nice cheap price (in general).

That said, I've never used an iPad, so I don't know what they're like. I know 2 things about them, and 2 things only. They're expensive, and they will SHATTER if you drop them on something hard. (At least, that's what I've been told. Apparently when they were first released here in Australia, a woman walked out of the Apple Store with one of the first ones sold in this State. She took it out of the box, and dropped it on the ground. SHATTER. She was in tears, apparently.)