speech labels & "as" & commas

Wordcraft

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so which one is right - and why?

1. 'Wonder where she's got to?' Ron said as he and Harry went back to Gryffindor Tower.

2. 'Wonder where she's got to?' Ron said, as he and Harry went back to Gryffindor Tower.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which version is in the book?

Depends on context and intent.

If Ron said it at the same time as he was walking back I would go for 1.

If the walking back was the reason for saying it and the 'as' is used as 'because', I would go for 2.

Either way, it's clear he said it 'while'... and I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

But I may be way off beam - see what the experts have to say. ;)

Last edited:

Wordcraft

Registered
Reaction score
#2 is used in the books. I would have thought the comma should not be there whenever "as" is present. We wouldn't write "I smiled, as I looked at his strange hairstyle."

However, maybe there is some special rule here with speech labels.

Anyone know? :)

Wordcraft

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand how it could have two different meanings - in this context at least. The speech is being said while they are doing something therefore I cannot see why it would ever have a comma.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends upon intent. It's nothing to do with 'speech label rules' -whatever they are.

I have to go out now, but read Strunk & White re commas before independent clauses, including the use of 'as' etc., it's section 4 in my copy.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
OK, so which one is right - and why?

1. 'Wonder where she's got to?' Ron said as he and Harry went back to Gryffindor Tower.

2. 'Wonder where she's got to?' Ron said, as he and Harry went back to Gryffindor Tower.

I read through some of the AW link mentioned below in this thread, and I'm still on the fence about the comma before "as." Or rather, I'm unsure of the rule behind it. I think at one point I pinpointed it down to the whole restrictive or nonrestrictive element thingiemabob. Or, in other words, is the "as" clause essential to the meaning of the sentence? If so, no comma. If not, comma.

Jodi

Wordcraft

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's not a black-and-white thing... I see that, using HP, again, we have seemingly inconsistent use, where we find both

Harry said dully.

AND

Harry said, dully.

In nearly all cases the adverb does not have a comma before it, so I may have just found something the editor overlooked.