Do you want someone pointing out mistakes in your published works?

How do you feel about receiving error reports after your book is published?

• I love the feedback.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I can use the feedback to hassle my editor.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I get frustrated by it.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I like pie.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • There's nothing I can do about it.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I can fix it for the next run / online edition.

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
I don't know whether it's because of an expanded awareness or increased sensitivity, but I've recently started noticing small mistakes (totally wrong word or "he" in place of "she" or punctuation weirdness) in books by well-known authors. These are books that I loved, but just had some little glitches.

I just finished a book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and of the half-dozen of her books I've read, it's the first I found with mistakes. 25 of them!!! Should I contact her?

I've contacted a couple of other authors about glitches in their books (along with glowing praise for the work, of course) and got polite responses. But I wonder if I'm making more trouble for myself than it's worth.

So the poll. How valuable is feedback on errors after the book is already published?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
So the poll. How valuable is feedback on errors after the book is already published?

Publishers will appreciate being told (well, I do, anyway.) The typos go into a reprint correction file and if it's reasonably practical they can be fixed at the next printing.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Authors have been hit with publishing mistakes for as long as books have been published.

Some readers do not realise that the mistakes are publishing related and not author related. I am sure both the publishers and authors appreciate the notice.

Unfortunately, I feel this is going to get worse because of self publishing. In those cases, it would be the author's fault as they are totally responsible... (NOT saying all self published books will fit into this category. Just to clarify...)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I find it incredibly douchey to tell a published (in print) author that there is an error/typo in their finished product. What are they supposed to do about it?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't contact the author. Chances are very high that the errors were not made by the author. Chances are also very high that they already know about them. If you feel an overwhelming need to point out such errors, send the info to the publishing company, they are the only ones who can do anything about it. And then only if there are additional printings of the book.

MM

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I'll second what Mary said.

(inserts amusing anecdote about how a reader emailed a publisher about errors and how the editor had to admit that somehow an early proof of the book had been submitted for publication--thankfully it was an epub and the errors were easily corrected)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only time it happened to me was a family friend sent me a list of mistakes but said nothing else about the story. Cheesed me off, really. I might have taken it better if he had said other things about it, even if he'd said he lined a birdcage with it.

Being this was a POD book, the errors could have been mine or the publishers (this publisher is known to introduce errors, some of which I caught in the proofs).

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
My cousin seems to delight in pointing out that he's found a few errors in mine. I suppose I should ask him what they are, especially for the one that is in hardcover at the moment, so the changes can be made to the paperback (if it gets that far), but his gleefulness is annoying me too much right now.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether it's because of an expanded awareness or increased sensitivity, but I've recently started noticing small mistakes (totally wrong word or "he" in place of "she" or punctuation weirdness) in books by well-known authors. These are books that I loved, but just had some little glitches.

I just finished a book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and of the half-dozen of her books I've read, it's the first I found with mistakes. 25 of them!!! Should I contact her?

I've contacted a couple of other authors about glitches in their books (along with glowing praise for the work, of course) and got polite responses. But I wonder if I'm making more trouble for myself than it's worth.

Typographical errors should absolutely be pointed out. It can always be fixed for the next batch of books released, right?

As for subjective opinions? About my short stories I've had some as odd as "I don't like the character's name." I just remind myself that an editor liked it enough to take it, opinions are opinions. Plus if you ever get a large readerbase there will be many opinions, I'd gather.

But it appears I've misread and you're speaking from a reader's perspective. Yeah, I don't see harm in sending publishers a note.

Last edited:

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I think that some mistakes are made, or at least overlooked, by editors. A few years ago I read a book that featured a character named Mark Jr. Every time the characters's name appeared, there was a comma after it. So there were sentences like:

Mark Jr., went to the store.
Mark Jr., woke up.
Mark Jr., liked it.

And so on.

The first time I saw it I thought it was just a typo. After seeing it literally hundreds of times, I realized it was an editorial thing. Even if it was done by the author himself, an editor should have found the errors and cleaned them up. But clearly this editor thought a comma was necessary after "Jr." every time.

Scary.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

This happens. No one is perfect, and when proofing 90 THOUSAND words it's understandable that one or two mistakes might be missed.

Depending on the printing sytem used the mistake could be made at any level.

Hell no.

If you feel that you must point it out to someone, then do so to the publisher, who can deal with it on their end, especially if they are minor mistakes like punctuation or spelling.

I would say that the praise is what got you the polite response, not pointing out errors that were, in all likelyhood, not the writers fault.

Reaction score
What do you think the author can do about it?

Nine times out of ten it's an editorial/publication error. Unless, as has been mentioned, it's a self-published book.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Not so much typographical errors, but I would certainly appreciate someone pointing out historical inaccuracies.

Though saying that, I left a review on Amazon telling on author his history of Hadrian's Wall was BS, for the author to say I was wrong. Excuse me? Who is the one with a Classical Studies degree? ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... there are always typos in novels, except in ones put out by publishers like Penguin. I guess they have the resources to meticulously go every book. I don't really mind the typos, unless they become too frequent. Then it's annoying.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What do you think the author can do about it?

Run around the world with a pencil, striking out and correcting the error in every copy everywhere. That's what they SHOULD do. And then Clarence should eat their face.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't think I ever read a book where I didn't find an error. ERRORS HAPPEN. A book is never finished...just abandoned.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
... there are always typos in novels, except in ones put out by publishers like Penguin. I guess they have the resources to meticulously go every book. I don't really mind the typos, unless they become too frequent. Then it's annoying.

Penguin is not immune. No publisher is.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
That strikes me as unnecessarily nitpicky and petty. "Hey, you know this comma's in the wrong place. And you didn't close this parenthesis." Really?

No one wants a book full of typos. But I'd be aggravated if, at the end of reading my (theoretical) published book, that's all someone would have to say about it.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, if there was anything glaring in Wolf Storm, I would have noticed it and my son would definitely have noticed it. Somebody is being a bit nit-picky!

I suppose I'd want to know if there was something I could do about it, but if not, then no.

What's the point?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Factual mistakes, yes. Nitpicking errors like the ones you mention, no, I really don't have the time to read one more complaint. Ten minutes after the book is published, we ALL see every mistake in it, but what can you do?

I'd be willing to be you didn't catch them all. Getting a book to print without mistakes is tough, no many how many eyes go over it.

And more often than not, most of the "mistakes" I make along the lines of grammar and punctuation are intentional, but readers point them out, anyway, apparently thinking a novel should use perfect grammar and punctuation at all times. But even if they aren't intentional, don't yell me, tell my editor.

Odds are about ten thousand to one that we've both noticed them after the book was published. Odds are also good that neither of us made the error.

Really, though, who has time to read such a complaint, run to whichever book it is, thinking, "Oh, God, there's a "he" when it should be a "she"? If it is an error, it's already been made, it will also certainly be corrected without the complaints, and new mistakes will replace these.

But when I receive such complaints, I, or someone, sends back a polite response. You do no harm by pointing out such goofs, but they don't help me, and I doubt they help ,many others, simply because the moment it's too late to make corrections, every mistake and typo in the book jumps off the page at you.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
In a recent urban fantasy from Del Rey, I found more than five occasions where 'there' was used for 'their' and 'they're'. Sheer laziness on the proofreaders' part, on a book that I otherwise loved.

Sounds like "there" proofreader is named Spell Checker.

I don't report mistakes. Ain't my job as a reader. If the publishers want me to proof for them, they can pay me. ;)

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

No publisher puts out perfect books. Meticulous doesn't get the job done, either. I've had books published with a few mistakes, even with three very experienced people trying to find them all, and I find as many typos in books from top publishers as in books from tiny publishers. Sometimes more because the editor at the tiny publisher is under less stress, and can take a good deal more time with each book.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I get frustrated when people mention it when it's just a few typos or mistakes. It happens and it's not a big deal. It always amuses me, actually.

Now, if you have a case where the author refuses editorial input *cough*Hamilton*cough and the problems are major enough to interfere with the reading, I'd leave a review on Amazon or the like. Same for self-published books that have really poor editing or grammar. I'd have no problem leaving a review that said there were lots of grammatical errors or what not.

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying, "There was a typo on page 6." That doesn't really matter, IMO. ETA: That holds true for self-published books as well. I get that a lot of people expect errors and go looking for them, but I've seen a review before that was trashing someone's editing skills because they found a few minor typos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.