Not open for further replies.

Sam Best

New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sam-best.com
Heya everyone.

I want to try something similar to Pete's plan here, but with two short stories used to promote a novel that will be released early to mid December.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing and noticed that they actually gain some interest? I thought about selling the two shorts for $.99 but I want to get a little bit of my work out there, and I figure I can always price them later if I start doing really well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Getting them published prior to having the novel ready is fine.

I wouldn't set them to free until the novel is ready. Publish at 99 cents for now. The vast majority of the visibility you gain is the first 1-2 weeks of free. If you have nothing to sell at that moment, you'll be missing your window.

(Free shorts have generally been determined to be less effective overall than a free novel in a series. But it's probably better than nothing.)

Last edited:

Sam Best

New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sam-best.com
I see, thanks for that.

Something I forgot to ask is which platform is best for short stories (if any are superior). Smashwords, Amazon? All?

Last edited:

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
I'd post my work on every available forum.

Otherwise, if you're only willing to pick one, go Amazon.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Post everywhere you can. Post the stories on Smashwords, Amazon, and PubIt. Post announcements of them here on AW (in the Announcements forum), on your blog, your web page, FaceBook, everywhere you have a voice or audience.

You are your own best marketer and you have to be your own publicist.

Sam Best

New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sam-best.com
Thanks for all the help. I started at 99 cents for each, and you can see the links in my sig. I'll drop them down to free right before I plan on publishing my book. Time to get the word out!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that Amazon doesn't allow you to set a free price point. The only way to do that is to make it free elsewhere and wait for Amazon to price match it.

Status
Not open for further replies.