Capitalize the first letter when listing a genre?

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
Hi,

I'm in the process of querying agents for my 2nd novel, 'To be Maria', but am getting confused over one little thing. Do you capitalize the first letter when listing the genre/genres that your book falls under?

Will it make a difference to the agent whether its capitalized or not?

Thanks

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yea, that was one thing I hadn't heard anywhere either. It wasn't until I started reading in Query Letter Hell and noticed the title capitalized in almost all of them.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
On the italicisation question, it depends on the format in which you're querying. If you're sending a hardcopy letter via snail mail, italicise titles. If you're sending e-mail, use all capitals LIKE THIS. The reason for the latter is that italics don't always 'stick' in e-mail -- that is, the words might or might not appear in italics upon receipt; it depends on the recipient's e-mail client. Whereas all-caps always stick.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Thank you so much for your input. It's greatly appreciated. I can say I've flubbed, probably going to get nothing but rejections from the agents I did submit to, but it's still early in the game.

No agent will reject you based on a capitalized genre or lowercase title. It may stand out as "hm, not a good sign" but if the rest of the query is good, they'll still ask to see more.

Last edited:

RunWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Another newb mistake I realize I just made -- not including contact info in the e-queries. I guess I assumed the reply would be via reply, and I have gotten some rejects that way, but I'm thinking it also looks less professional. Live and learn.