PDA

View Full Version : Fonts?

Keyan
11-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Are there any fonts that are particularly good or especially avoidable for the text of a story or a book on Kindle?

I rather liked the look of Palatino Linotype, but then wondered if it would grow old quickly.

AllisonK
11-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Unless things have changed with the release of the new Kindles, it's best not to specify a font face in your ebook file. The Kindle will display the book's text in its default font, and if the reader chooses, they can change it (and the size) in their device's settings. But because readers want the ability to customize type to their own comfort levels, the advice I was always given was not to mess with that aspect of the formatting.

Hope that helps.:)

merrihiatt
11-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Times New Roman and Arial/Helvetica are the two most common. I prefer Times New Roman, especially if you are using italics anywhere in your book. Arial is a sans serif font and sometimes comes across "cleaner."

Times New Roman - I like to use italics in Times New Roman.
Arial - Other people may like italics in Arial.

J. Tanner
11-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Unless things have changed with the release of the new Kindles, it's best not to specify a font face in your ebook file. The Kindle will display the book's text in its default font, and if the reader chooses, they can change it (and the size) in their device's settings. But because readers want the ability to customize type to their own comfort levels, the advice I was always given was not to mess with that aspect of the formatting.

That's all still true with my new Kindle. Reader chooses, not book formatter.

Keyan
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks, everyone!