PDA

View Full Version : Best Film of 2011 So Far...

Diana Hignutt
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
What the heck, it's the middle of November already...and I do know that the studios like to save their Academy Films for late...but what do you think? What was the best film you've seen so far this year?

For me, it's easy, hands down...Lars Von Trier's Melancholia...

...second place (but the top action spot) X-Men: First Class

Your thoughts?

gothicangel
11-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Probably Life In A Day, but technically that is a documentary. :)

My money is on War Horse sweeping the board at the Oscars of course . . .

The MG Renegade
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2. It lived up to just about all of my expectations, although it was best watched immediately after the first.

I would have to rank the following:
2) The Help
3) Moneyball
4) Super 8
5) Captain America

As for next year(and this might make a good additional thread), but I am most in 2012 looking forward to:
1) The Hobbit
2) Dark Knight Rises
3) The Avengers
4) Star Trek 2

Rhoda Nightingale
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm trying to remember what I saw this year, that wasn't on DVD...

Easily the one I enjoyed the most was Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2, but what else came out this year?

Shadow_Ferret
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Captain America: First Avenger hands down.

thothguard51
11-16-2011, 08:55 AM
The TV series, A Game of Thrones...

Diana Hignutt
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
So, the consensus here is that Captain America is the best best movie of the year? I liked it alot...but...we can do better...

More picks please...

The Lonely One
11-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Captain America was a film that did everything right. It captured the political anti-communist sentiment in America, the portrayed glory of the U.S. military, tied together strings of the comic book universe and besides was tremendously entertaining. Of course it was hollywood money-making entertainment cinema, maybe "film" is a strong word, but it was good in this context.

I also would give a strong vote to the new Thing. Did such a wonderful job of continuing/tying to the story of the 80s John Carpenter version, and was a great tribute.

Torgo
11-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Drive was great.

Torgo
11-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Also Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Not as good as the Alec Guinness version, but...

The Lonely One
11-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Also forgot Water for Elephants. Anyone seen it?

I'm not sure if I'm confusing liking the movie with liking Christoph Waltz, though.

gothicangel
11-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I saw a great little film called Beginners the other day, it was on such a limited release I didn't get to see it at the cinema.

Ewan McGregor proving that he can be a decent actor away from hollywood. :)

defcon6000
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
So, the consensus here is that Captain America is the best best movie of the year? I liked it alot...but...we can do better...

More picks please...

Cowboys and Aliens. :D

Zoombie
11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Captain America was a film that did everything right. It captured the political anti-communist sentiment in America...

I liked - loved - Captain America...but it didn't mention communists once. Besides, Captain America in the comic books was never part of the "anti-communist craze" and in fact changed name AND costume during Vietnam, which he felt was an unjust war.

There WAS a Captain America who acted as a commy smasher, but that was a fake. The real Cap was in Antarctica, being frozen.

backslashbaby
11-19-2011, 12:35 PM
The Tree of Life, maybe?

I saw Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris and really enjoyed it, but I don't think it's Oscar material, myself.

nighttimer
11-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Here's Entertainment Weekly's predictions for Best Picture of the year (and remember, the Oscars will pick between five and ten this year).

The Artist
The Descendants
War Horse
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
The Ides of March
Midnight In Paris
Moneyball

Excited yet? :e2zzz:

backslashbaby
11-20-2011, 03:40 AM
I haven't seen so many of those.

Thinking about it, Midnight in Paris would be a great movie for certain actors to get Oscars. They got to play writers like Hemingway :) That was really fun, and probably excellent acting. I don't know how the writers spoke, etc, enough to know how well they nailed it.

katiemac
11-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I have so many to see first, including:

The Descendents
Another Earth
Take Shelter
Melancholia
Like Crazy
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Carnage
Hugo
My Week with Marilyn

But some of my favorites have already been mentioned. Others that weren't: Attack the Block, 50/50 and, surprisingly, Crazy, Stupid, Love. None of the above are best picture contenders, but I enjoyed them.

I'm planning on spending some money at the theater tomorrow to see some in my "to see" list above.

fredXgeorge
11-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Though I am slightly biased ;)

Diana Hignutt
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I have so many to see first, including:

The Descendents
Another Earth
Take Shelter
Melancholia
Like Crazy
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Carnage
Hugo
My Week with Marilyn

But some of my favorites have already been mentioned. Others that weren't: Attack the Block, 50/50 and, surprisingly, Crazy, Stupid, Love. None of the above are best picture contenders, but I enjoyed them.

I'm planning on spending some money at the theater tomorrow to see some in my "to see" list above.

I loved Melancholia, Dunst is just terrific. That's my rec, anyway.... Have fun at the movies whatever you see...

gothicangel
11-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Though I am slightly biased ;)

It really annoys me the Warner are lobbying the Academy for nominations. Don't they think the film is good enough to win on it's own merits?

I would expect a Best Film nomination, but the money is on Spielberg cleaning up with War Horse and maybe for the CGI in TinTin.

Diana Hignutt
11-20-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't scoff at Potter getting an Oscar nod. What an accomplishment of logistics and continuity that series was. They gave LOTR a nod the Return of the King. I could see that for Potter too.

The Lonely One
11-21-2011, 06:43 AM
I liked - loved - Captain America...but it didn't mention communists once. Besides, Captain America in the comic books was never part of the "anti-communist craze" and in fact changed name AND costume during Vietnam, which he felt was an unjust war.

There WAS a Captain America who acted as a commy smasher, but that was a fake. The real Cap was in Antarctica, being frozen.

Ah, well I misspoke; more meant the nationalism than anything. I take back the anti-communist bit.

katiemac
11-21-2011, 07:03 AM
It really annoys me the Warner are lobbying the Academy for nominations. Don't they think the film is good enough to win on it's own merits?

I would expect a Best Film nomination, but the money is on Spielberg cleaning up with War Horse and maybe for the CGI in TinTin.

All of the studios lobby for their films to be nominated in multiple categories... it's not just Warner Bros. and it's not just for Potter.

Satori1977
11-21-2011, 09:11 AM
I just realized I have not seen one new movie this year. Nothing in theatres, nothing new to DVD. I think that is a first for me.

Dr.Gonzo
11-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

That film really surprised me. I like monkeys. I like them in films. Didn't expect to like computer monkeys that much.

I have been spoilt this year. Thor, X-Men, The Monkey Film...

O, hated Captain America. Hated. Never liked that toss bag, never will. I heard the film was quality. I think the horrendous 3D got in the way of said quality. I'll give it another try at some point.

Heard good things about Drive. I'll watch it soon and maybe come back in here and knock the monkeys from the top.

childeroland
11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
1) The Tree of Life
2) Certified Copy tied with 13 Assassins

Tanglewood
11-24-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm probably going to take a little heat for this, but the best movie I've seen this year is definitely the critically panned 'Immortals'. Almost everything about it is admittedly awful. The story, dialogue, acting, everything. The visuals, however, are some of the most mind-blowing I've ever seen. Tarsem Singh, the director, is probably one of the most visually minded directors working in Hollywood today. He's a cinematographic savant, capable of conjuring up images which stay with you for weeks after you leave the cinema. It's very rare that you get the chance to see a genuinely beautiful film. Immortals is one of a very rare set.

kuwisdelu
11-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa, easily.

KTC
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
I've seen a LOT of movies this year. Almost every weekend! My favs:

1. 50/50 (so awesome!)
2. Super 8

I know that I'm going to LOVE Hugo too. I just KNOW it.

gothicangel
11-24-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm probably going to take a little heat for this, but the best movie I've seen this year is definitely the critically panned 'Immortals'. Almost everything about it is admittedly awful. The story, dialogue, acting, everything. The visuals, however, are some of the most mind-blowing I've ever seen. Tarsem Singh, the director, is probably one of the most visually minded directors working in Hollywood today. He's a cinematographic savant, capable of conjuring up images which stay with you for weeks after you leave the cinema. It's very rare that you get the chance to see a genuinely beautiful film. Immortals is one of a very rare set.

If we're talking visuals, then it has to be The Eagle for me. A gorgeous looking film, and Anthony Dod Mantle is a genius. Probably the best film I've seen for capturing a Roman look, and Scotland is stunning. Great soundtrack too. Not going to win any awards, but probably my perfect film.

Of course Channing Tatum soaked to the skin is never a bad thing. ;)

Eldritch
11-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Another vote here for Super 8.

Diana Hignutt
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Another vote here for Super 8.

I liked it, but not enough for the convetted title of Best of 2011...I liked Thor and Cap better...

The Emissary
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Captain America The First Avenger...blew me completely away, saw it twice, couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I'm biased, though, cause I'm extremely similar to Steve Rogers and fantasize frequently about turning into a hot, muscular chick-magnet over night..(No, really.) X-men First class is a VERY close second....VERY close.

Satori1977
12-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

That film really surprised me. I like monkeys. I like them in films. Didn't expect to like computer monkeys that much.

I have been spoilt this year. Thor, X-Men, The Monkey Film....

Off-topic, but monkeys and apes are not the same thing. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Continue :)

kuwisdelu
12-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Off-topic, but monkeys and apes are not the same thing. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Continue :)

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the apes have an issue with it as well.

Pemako
12-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Another vote for Melancholia, though Hugo is also wonderful.

Jake Barnes
12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Captain America was the most passive super-hero I've ever seen. Except for the beginning when he's trying to join the Army, he has to be pushed into taking action by somebody else.

Liked the period detail, though.

Ed Panther
12-09-2011, 05:14 AM
I think "Drive" is easily the best movie so far this year.

AyJay
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Ooh...I just blogged about this, and it's funny and cool to see many of the films I picked mentioned above.

I missed a lot of the critically-acclaimed, more "serious" films (like Midnight in Paris, which I'll catch up with on Demand). My top choice was Super 8. Then Paul. Then a quiet, indie film Weekend that doesn't stand a chance for any big awards.

I also loved Deathly Hollows 2 and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and there definitely was something extraordinary about Melancholia; though it dragged for me a bit and maybe was just a touch pretentious.

jamesn65
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
I've seen a LOT of movies this year. Almost every weekend! My favs:

1. 50/50 (so awesome!)
2. Super 8

I know that I'm going to LOVE Hugo too. I just KNOW it.

You will. It's a freaking masterpiece. That, and Super 8 are my favorites of the year, followed by Deathly Hallows 2

MamaStrong
12-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Also forgot Water for Elephants. Anyone seen it?

I'm not sure if I'm confusing liking the movie with liking Christoph Waltz, though.

Yes I saw it. Considering I read the book first, I think they did an amazing job on the movie. I liked seeing Robert Pattinson in something other than Twilight related. However, I don't think Reese Witherspoon was a good pick for the female lead. :/

Ed Panther
12-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh I completely forgot about Midnight in Paris! That is a great movie too! I love Woody Allen.

defcon6000
12-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Captain America was the most passive super-hero I've ever seen. Except for the beginning when he's trying to join the Army, he has to be pushed into taking action by somebody else.

Liked the period detail, though.

Really? What about when he chased down that Nazi who assassinated the scientist and tried to steal the formula? Oh, and when he charged into the compound all be himself to set those captured soldiers (and his friend) free.

He was a solider, so he did take orders, but he also acted on his own when no one else would.

MamaStrong
12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never....

:D just kidding.

I thought these were good....

Paul
Unknown
Friends with Benefits <---didn't think it would be very good, but it wasn't horrible either.
Water for Elephants
The Help

blacbird
12-09-2011, 11:08 AM
The best movie I have seen in 2011 was made in 1975.

caw

KTC
12-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Saw HUGO last weekend. My wife looks over and says, "Why are you crying?" I said, "The fucking plastic bag is blowing in the wind and it's been caught on film again!" Jesus...I love beauty.

robeiae
12-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Tie: Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Super 8.

SirTysonius
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Gotta be Captiain America. Not only was the movie amazing, but it gave us our first glimpse into the Avengers. Two fantastic things at once!