PDA

View Full Version : HEY, MEDIEVALIST! Occasionally the sun shines in Scotland.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
And I can prove it!

Loch Lomond. And yes, I did phone my dad to say "Guess where I am? I'm...I'm...on the bonnie, bonnie banks-- BWAHAHAHAHA!" *collapses and snorts with laughter a lot*
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/SP_A6411.jpg

If you don't know where this is, well, you're a bit of a tit, aintcha?
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/SP_A6515.jpg

Lochan. The weather was perfect that weekend. I got sunburned and lived on ice-cream. *burp*
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/SP_A6558.jpg

Facing West, from the top of Sgurr Finnisg-aig:
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/SP_A6660.jpg

Also taken from the top of Sgurr Finnisg-aig, but facing South East:
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/SP_A6666.jpg
If you look dead centre you'll see a wee sliver of mountain just peeking over the other -- that's Ben Nevis.

AutumnWrite
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Lovely pictures SP! Makes me long to go back. Our first day there we too, got sunburned, though I must admit the days of drizzle out numbered the moments of sun. Enjoy!

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I live here. :D

Those were taken a few months back when I crawled out of my hobbit hole and went to the West coast. (Or near as damn it.)

Sun. In Scotland. Who'd'a thunk it?

AutumnWrite
11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Now I'm truly jealous! We spent three weeks driving around GB, but Scotland was the highlight! Spent a great evening in a little pub in Dryman watching football with the locals. Lovely!

Maryn
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Great shots--but why is the sky blue? (ducking) I love that you called your dad with exactly that message.

Maryn, not well-traveled

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
His reply was, "Pfft. Think you're bleeding funny, dontcha?"

(No, really, it was!)

Snowstorm
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh, Scotland is SO beautiful. *sigh* I'd love to go back!

Thanks for posting the photos!

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Trust me; the weather's rarely that good. It was a freak weekend. Freakend? So I timed it well, being away then.

Now, back home, it's raining. *le sigh* :(

areteus
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Apparently it may be the warmest November for 300 years... according to a news report I saw today... so you may expect more blue skies :)

It is disconcerting... every now and again here this big yellow thing cuts through the grey sky. It seems to make the clouds evaporate which is worrying because I am sure it is the only thing keeping all the air in!

Shakesbear
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
The pics are a reminder of the lovely times I spent in Scotland with my bro. Thanks SP. Mind - once spent a fortnight in Edinburgh and the sun came out for exactly 15 minutes, but it was the summer.

Anninyn
11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
You lie. The sun never shines in scotland. Those pictures are photoshopped.

bettielee
11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
yeah, I don't see any kilts, Or Gerard Butler, or Scott Ferguson, or any of the other 2 Scots I recognize.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
This is the thanks I get for trying to start a mature thread. :rolleyes:

Anninyn
11-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Sorry, Scarlett, we all know you too well.

amergina
11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Lovely. :)

And now I want to go back to Scotland! I had a grand time tooling around the country for two weeks a while back. Fun place to drive, btw.

bettielee
11-14-2011, 10:34 PM

We don't do mature around here.

I'm really disappointed in you for trying to raise the tone of office party.

And for not posting anything in a kilt.

bettielee
11-14-2011, 10:48 PM
And is it true you are retiring from writing the sexiful? Where do you see your writing taking you?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Is it true what they don't wear beneath the kilt?!

scarletpeaches
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
There's a lot going on in the erotic romance epublishing world that makes it increasingly unattractive to me, not least the readers who think they have the right to access authors' private lives.

It's called a private life for a reason.

Plus, HEAs just aren't me. They never were. At most, a HFN if it suits the story. But I'm not the most romantic woman in the world, so mayhap erotica is the genre for me, not erotic romance.

Or erotic-as-a-prefix-before-anything-but-romance.

Whoa. A serious post from SP. :eek:

regdog
11-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Great pics

bettielee
11-15-2011, 03:38 AM
There's a lot going on in the erotic romance epublishing world that makes it increasingly unattractive to me, not least the readers who think they have the right to access authors' private lives.

It's called a private life for a reason.

Plus, HEAs just aren't me. They never were. At most, a HFN if it suits the story. But I'm not the most romantic woman in the world, so mayhap erotica is the genre for me, not erotic romance.

Or erotic-as-a-prefix-before-anything-but-romance.

Whoa. A serious post from SP. :eek:

Sun in Scotland and a serious post from SP.

That's it. The bird apoxyclips is going to happen sometime soon....

But I wish you much successes with your erotic endeavors. :)

Oh wait. Too much? Too personal?... :) I meant the ones on paper.....

Paul
11-15-2011, 03:44 AM
So if I were to say

'But Scarlett, the sun shines every time you bend over'

would that dilute the maturity somewhat?

Snowstorm
11-15-2011, 04:31 AM
... I'm really disappointed in you for trying to raise the tone of office party.

And for not posting anything in a kilt.

On a windy day.

Medievalist
11-15-2011, 04:48 AM
Scarlet these are fabulous; thanks so much for posting.

Where would you personally send Yanks visiting Scotland?

poetinahat
11-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Where would you personally send Yanks visiting Scotland?

England. :D

scarletpeaches
11-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Scarlet these are fabulous; thanks so much for posting.

Where would you personally send Yanks visiting Scotland?Eng--
England. :DWhy I oughtta...!

But seriously, my favourite place to go is Edinburgh. A complete tourist trap but positively oozing with history. And it's only a short train ride away from my place. Is that a plus point or not?

Bear in mind I'm a history nut. I love art galleries, museums, castles and dungeons* so my answer might not tickle you. (Not you, Oh Hatted Poet. I mean Lisa.)

*Yes, really. Edinburgh is one of only two cities in the world built on top of itself. Dungeons everywhere. Rep point to anyone who can name the other city.

KellyAssauer
11-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I've been to Edinburgh...
and the castle of that name
Down the Royal Mile,
across the Fourth Road Bridge.
We left late that night by train,
sleeper compartments
arrived in London the next morning.

It was wonderful,
I'd do it again right damn now.

(and No, I won't have that much to drink before getting on the back and forth rocking choo choo this time, cause I know'd better now ;) )

AutumnWrite
11-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Edinburgh was amazing, and as SP said, perfect for the history fan, which I am. But the highlight of our trip was finding the small towns, the local pubs, and just hanging out. Most of the time we were asked "why would you come here?" Our answer was always the same - "to see the real Scots."

How can you really know a place, if you don't try to meet the people that make so unique?

Kitty Pryde
11-15-2011, 06:52 AM
That picture framed by trees looks like the cover of a tourist brochure. I really want to go there! Scotland is definitely on my list of places to visit. I would love to do more hiking in the UK, or what do you call it, rambling? More rambling.

jjdebenedictis
11-15-2011, 08:16 AM
THIS LOOKS SHOPPED

I CAN TELL FROM SOME OF THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING QUITE A FEW SHOPS IN MY TIME

/joke

areteus
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with Edinburgh... especially as you can do a pub crawl on the Royal Mile and play a guessing game before you walk in the door as to whether:

- The pub was famous because Burns shagged a barmaid in it
- The pub is haunted by a ghost
- The pub is haunted by the ghost of a barmaid who Burns shagged

It seemed that all the pubs had a claim to at least one of these...

KellyAssauer
11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
It seemed that all the pubs had a claim to at least one of these...

Boggles the mind to think of what SP has added...

;)

scarletpeaches
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
In a pub in Edinburgh, I performed the ritual of the Smirnoff Neti.

Just ask Perks.

Perks
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I think you're just trying to make me sad because it's been so long since I've seen you.

And sometimes, you get both sun and rain at the same time:

(Photo by Perks in Edinburgh, with Scarletpeaches standing at my left elbow)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Vacation09268-1.jpg

aspier
11-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Sun in Scotland? Yes? Where! Where!! Quick!!!!!!

scarletpeaches
11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Ah, Perks...the seagull (which you probably thought was a Scottish pigeon) trying to spear that polystyrene food container with its beak. Those were the days...

JimmyB27
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
*Yes, really. Edinburgh is one of only two cities in the world built on top of itself. Dungeons everywhere. Rep point to anyone who can name the other city.
Ankh-Morpork.

scarletpeaches
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I meant a REAL city in the REAL world, which REAL people can visit.

I expect the Pratchettites will come after me with flaming torches and pitchforks now.

Snitchcat
11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
That real city is Ankh-Morpork! No way you can call that fictional! :tongue

ETA:
Forgot my flaming torches, pitchforks, and the bow with the never-ending and 100% accurate arrows. :D

aruna
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I went too Scotland when I was 12! My stepbrother was born near Edinburgh. My dad came with his family ffrom Guyana - his second wife had relatives in Scotland.

And my dad couldn't resist taking me to Robert the Bruce's cave. He had to.
My dad's favourite motto was "If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try, Try again". From the time I was very very small I could reel that off by heart. He told me the story of Robert and the Spider again and again. And you know, sometimes I think it's that story that keeps me going in this s****y writing business. Ah well.

Lovely pics, SP. I'd love to go to Scotland again. When you win the Booker I will.

scarletpeaches
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Loved the 'when' in your post. :D

areteus
11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Is Robert the Bruce's cave any less damp than Merlin's cave in Tintagel? :)

amergina
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Sun in Scotland? Yes? Where! Where!! Quick!!!!!!

I, too have some photographic evidence of sun in Scotland, in Inverness:

http://pics.livejournal.com/amergina/pic/001yqkts

But that was back in 2006.

Jamiekswriter
11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
:: singing :: "4 and 20 virgins went down to Inverness, and when the ball was over there were 4 and 20 less . . . "

JimmyB27
11-16-2011, 03:35 AM
:: singing :: "4 and 20 virgins went down to Inverness, and when the ball was over there were 4 and 20 less . . . "
Fewer.

;)

BeatrixKiddo
11-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Datz purdy. Thanks for sharing SP. Would love to visit there one day.

aspier
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I went too Scotland when I was 12! My stepbrother was born near Edinburgh. My dad came with his family ffrom Guyana - his second wife had relatives in Scotland.

And my dad couldn't resist taking me to Robert the Bruce's cave. He had to.
My dad's favourite motto was "If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try, Try again". From the time I was very very small I could reel that off by heart. He told me the story of Robert and the Spider again and again. And you know, sometimes I think it's that story that keeps me going in this s****y writing business. Ah well.

Lovely pics, SP. I'd love to go to Scotland again. When you win the Booker I will.

Good day, Aruna, shall we go together? Actually I was never there ... and it still is 'on' my list.

aruna
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Sure! Now it's up to SP to get that Booker!

seun
11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Damn it. Why didn't the sun shine when I went to Edinburgh? :rant:

scarletpeaches
11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Because all the light bounced off your head and went straight back up into the sky.

seun
11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Because all the light bounced off your head and went straight back up into the sky.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.