They're Thinking of Amending My Contract

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
In trying to decide on a cover for my novel, The Sailor and The Carpenter, a historical work about 18th Century California, I clearly explained why their well-done proposed cover didn't quite cover the story line.
I just received a email from them indicating that, while they have first rights of refusal on any further works, they didn't realize it was a trilogy.
So, they're serious thinking of giving me a contract for all three novels!!!:hooray:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Unless there is more to the email, that may not be what they mean.

How did they find out it was a triology?

I am surprised the editor did not see it or talk about the possibility with you during the editing process.

Hope it all works out...

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I would want three independent contracts where the advance/royalties/returns provisions are not computed as one agreement.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I would want three independent contracts where the advance/royalties/returns provisions are not computed as one agreement.

Thanks for the tip!!!

They knew, when they gave me the contract, it was Book One of Father Serra's Legacy - so they had to know there was more!

Anyhow, we haven't gotten to the editing process yet - we are simply trying to come up with a good cover.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!!!

They knew, when they gave me the contract, it was Book One of Father Serra's Legacy - so they had to know there was more!

Anyhow, we haven't gotten to the editing process yet - we are simply trying to come up with a good cover.

Congrats and isn't it odd they are working on the cover before editing the book? Just curious, not trying to be snarky. It just seems odd.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and isn't it odd they are working on the cover before editing the book? Just curious, not trying to be snarky. It just seems odd.

Maybe they've already edited the novel and felt it was so well-written that they didn't want me to change anything!!!!

[Snicker - snicker - snicker] :roll:

It could also be possible they want the cover so they can sent the preview copy out for reviews.