PDA

View Full Version : Jurisdiction

Graz
11-14-2011, 03:22 AM
A high ranking Federal official, cabinet level, is found murdered in a small town. Feds muscle in and want to run investigation, local authorities are resentful. Whose case is it?

mirandashell
11-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Feds, surely? It's one of their own.

But then, I'm English so what do I know?

mickeyDs4
11-14-2011, 03:44 AM
As far as I know if a murder happens to a federal employee or on federal land it goes to the FBI.

Snick
11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
unfortunately, the feds have expqanded their power so that even common crimes are in their jusirdiction, if they demand. It might get tossed back to the State, if it turns out to be a common street crime, but generaly it would be a federal offense, because the victim was a high governemnt official.

jclarkdawe
11-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Take a look at Criminal Resource Manual 1628 Protection of a Member of Federal ... (http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01628.htm)

It would be a Federal crime and the Feds would have jurisdiction.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironmikezero
11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Pragmatically speaking, it is concurrent jurisdiction (violations of state and federal laws) so a cooperative investigation is entirely possible (and often politically expedient). Investigators from the state/local agency work with investigators from the appropriate federal agency in essentially an ad hoc task force. An inherent advantage is that evidence discovered in the course of the investigation is usually deemed admissible in subsequent prosecutions in both state and federal courts. There is no double-jeopardy issue, simply concurrent jurisdiction.

MTaillard
11-14-2011, 10:51 PM
In a lot of cases, ironmikezero would be correct; you read about the FBI working cooperatively with local law enforcement on cases that cross jurisdictional boundaries and such. In the case of a federal official I tend to think there would be a lot of talk about national security. I think the question would be more about whether the case goes to the FBI, HLS, or NSA, which would depend entirely on the political environment at the time and the associations that the perp has with other organizations, their method of attack, and their motive.

Graz
11-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone. The hit was set-up to appear random and occured away from DC. I guess you could call it an inside job. Local guy smells a rat, Fed officials want him to go away, mind his own business

GeorgeK
11-15-2011, 09:19 PM
If a member of the president's cabinet was killed, wouldn't that also bring in Secret Service? Wouldn't they have had a Secret Service bodygaurd detail in the beginning?

Graz
11-15-2011, 10:00 PM
If a member of the president's cabinet was killed, wouldn't that also bring in Secret Service? Wouldn't they have had a Secret Service bodygaurd detail in the beginning?

Don't know, good point. I guess so, even a Fed Reserve member probably has security details.

Richard White
11-15-2011, 11:44 PM
In a lot of cases, ironmikezero would be correct; you read about the FBI working cooperatively with local law enforcement on cases that cross jurisdictional boundaries and such. In the case of a federal official I tend to think there would be a lot of talk about national security. I think the question would be more about whether the case goes to the FBI, HLS, or NSA, which would depend entirely on the political environment at the time and the associations that the perp has with other organizations, their method of attack, and their motive.

FBI, Secret Service, Homeland Security, INS, DEA, BATF, Coastguard, Customs == Law Enforcement Missions

NSA, CIA != Law Enforcement

ironmikezero
11-16-2011, 01:51 AM

The security detail, assuming the victim had one, would most likely be comprised of highly trained personnel (typically of the 1811 classification - criminal investigator) from that department, or an agency within that department. They would also most likely be included in the homicide investigation (cooperative or ad hoc task force).