PDA

View Full Version : AW vs. Facebook

ReflectiveAcuity
11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Hello again, everyone. I thought I would return to this area of the forum and mention that I am THOROUGHLY ENJOYING this site. It is such a pleasure to become involved with this group where nearly everyone, if not EVERYONE, writes well. Donít get me wrong; I have a lot of dear friends on FB, but almost every time I look at feeds I get nauseated from the continual use of texting-lingo that appears there and the horrific destruction of the English language; many committed by friends that have Masterís Degrees and highly professional careers, believe it or not.

AutumnWrite
11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
That is so true. Being here really does help remind a person that not everyone has such disregard for the variety in the English language. By reducing phrases to three letter abbreviations, you miss out on the nuances that could convey a deeper meaning. True it is faster, but fast is not always better.

My one test reader told me I needed to use smaller words, citing the word mechanically (as in 'he mechanically walked to the kitchen') as an example.

kct webber
11-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Among my facebook friends, I'm that token a-hole who runs around correcting everyone's grammar. :tongue

BardSkye
11-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Has anyone but me ever had the urge to go around correcting spelling and grammar on graffitti?

Hiroko
11-14-2011, 02:20 AM
I have no writer friends on Facebook - or anywhere, for that matter - so trust me, this website is a breath of fresh air.

:kiss:

KellyAssauer
11-14-2011, 02:24 AM
and the horrific destruction of the English language; many committed by friends that have Master’s Degrees and highly professional careers, believe it or not.

Friends? -nope
Master Degrees? -nope
Professional career? -nope
Fazebook? -nope!

:Jump: Sews I kin haz awl da fun I wantz??? :Jump:

:D

Diana_Rajchel
11-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Friends? -nope
Master Degrees? -nope
Professional career? -nope
Fazebook? -nope!

:Jump: Sews I kin haz awl da fun I wantz??? :Jump:

:D

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! :heart::heart:

veinglory
11-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Part of AW's attempt to be a civil place is a general prohibition on bad mouthing other forums--I suspect that would include Facebook?

Silver King
11-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Part of AW's attempt to be a civil place is a general prohibition on bad mouthing other forums--I suspect that would include Facebook?
I think the OP was referencing the sloppy manner in which some people post on FB and not necessarily disparaging the site itself.

lastlittlebird
11-14-2011, 04:17 AM

Does it count if you're just complaining about your own friends and not necessarily FB as a whole?
(Not that I am... my FB friends are awesome-o. I'm sure they're all using LOLspeak ironically. Yeah, that's it. Ironically.)

KellyAssauer
11-14-2011, 04:25 AM
I think the OP was referencing the sloppy manner in which some people post on FB and not necessarily disparaging the site itself.

Maybe it's just me... but I 'test drove' a FB page for a few hours one day, and the generated responses I received from the site (in particular the one that read: Here are some people you might be interested in becoming friends with...) scared the wits out of me. It's as if someone had scanned through every email I'd sent in the last year. I shut my 'test drive' down in record time...

-and I don't mean anything disparaging by that. It just frightened me.

veinglory
11-14-2011, 04:29 AM
I can't say I see a difference on that front. Facebook connects me to my friends and family who are not much into text speak.

atombaby
11-14-2011, 04:31 AM
I have no writer friends on Facebook - or anywhere, for that matter - so trust me, this website is a breath of fresh air.

:kiss:

So true! I can't talk about writing with anyone, and my preferred reading is completely foreign to all of my friends. I have one friend who tolerates my conversations about the books I've read and what I'm writing but... I know she just tolerates it. Bless her.

Satori1977
11-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Thankfully, most of my friends on FB write correctly and don't use text lingo. The only ones that do are my teenage nieces and nephews. It does bug the crap out of me.

Silver King
11-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Maybe it's just me... but I 'test drove' a FB page for a few hours one day, and the generated responses I received from the site (in particular the one that read: Here are some people you might be interested in becoming friends with...) scared the wits out of me. It's as if someone had scanned through every email I'd sent in the last year. I shut my 'test drive' down in record time...
The exact same thing happened to me when I test drove the site a while back. I joined using an alias and a throw-away e-mail account. Still, the site knew who I was. It was unsettling, to say the least, and was especially freaky when friends and family members, whom I hadn't spoken to in decades, tried to friend my alias. Like you, I abandoned my account in short order.

Something ain't right about that site. (I was going to say, "Fuck Facebook," but that might sound disparaging.)

KellyAssauer
11-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Still, the site knew who I was. It was unsettling, to say the least, and was especially freaky when friends and family members, whom I hadn't spoken to in decades, tried to friend my alias.

That's nowhere near creepy for me, that's my worst nightmare coming true - and probably worth at least a year of therapy sessions...

*shivers at the thought*

Thank goodness for AW! =)

Silver King
11-14-2011, 06:15 AM
That's nowhere near creepy for me, that's my worst nightmare coming true - and probably worth at least a year of therapy sessions...
I didn't mention it earlier, but you know what's even freakier? A few people who tried to friend my alias on FB are members of AW. No kidding.

Please tell me, someone, anyone, how in the hell FB could hone their algorithms to such an extent that joining their site with an alias and a throw-away e-mail account would lead to my presence on AW? Please note that I do not share my true e-mail account here publicly with anyone.

MaryMumsy
11-14-2011, 07:03 AM
This was in today's cartoons:

http://www.gocomics.com/pickles

I've never been on FB, and you can't make me.

MM

BigWords
11-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Please tell me, someone, anyone, how in the hell FB could hone their algorithms to such an extent that joining their site with an alias and a throw-away e-mail account would lead to my presence on AW? Please note that I do not share my true e-mail account here publicly with anyone.

Did you clear your cookies before you tried Facebook?

jennontheisland
11-14-2011, 07:27 AM
I can't say I see a difference on that front. Facebook connects me to my friends and family who are not much into text speak.
I suspect the textspeak and grammar issues have more to do with the friends than with the facebook.

And there's a very easy solution to the OP's frustrations.

Silver King
11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Did you clear your cookies before you tried Facebook?
No. But I nearly tossed my cookies afterward. ;)

BeatrixKiddo
11-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Pffft. FB blows. Stick with us kid, and you'll go places.

I have a FB account but mostly because half of my office is on there. I usually visit once a week at the most. I haven't tried to friend any AWers on there because honestly, I kind of like to keep these two worlds separate.

I don't mind if an AW member wants to friend me on there but I don't actively seek AW members myself on FB. I just don't visit FB enough to warrant that. (I'd much rather be here, and I'm on here more often then FB anyway)

shyne
11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
I use Facebook to test ideas and concepts.

Wayne K
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Face Book is awesome in a lot of ways. I had a guy friend me and thank me for protecting him from bullies when we were kids :) I connected with a lot of people from the past. I sell most of my books to Face Book friends.

AW is my home away from the internet. Face Book also makes me vulnerable to stalkers. Which I still have :(

As far as textspeak it doesn't bother me. I want to beat people over the head with "Their, There, They're" and "Two, To, Too" but that's bad manners, so I don't. I have PM'd people about it

bettielee
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Most of my "friends" are writers, there is only one who has horrendous spelling and textspeak, and I want to strangle her everytime I see one of those

wwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee! I cnt wate 4 summmmer! posts.

I know I'm guilty of LOL speak and I get a little loose with the capital letters... but I try to spell and use mah proper grammars.

Lavern08
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
* Thinking *

I wonder what a Facebook is? :Shrug:

Devil Ledbetter
11-17-2011, 01:11 AM
It seems to me that there is just one person on FB who is a horrible speller with atrocious grammar and an exclamation point key that sticks. Trouble is, she writes "Copy & paiste this too you're stylus if u argree!!!!" and no one on FB can resist that order. Even if they don't agree.

Devil Ledbetter
11-17-2011, 01:12 AM
* Thinking *

I wonder what a Facebook is? :Shrug:It's Tumblr.