If you were to step into a 15th century tavern in Buda...

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
And there were (3) musicians playing, what instruments would they be using? They don't need to be indigenous to the country, common instruments used during the renaissance is fine, instruments that would be used for dance. I have thought to use the hurdy-gurdy and pipe and tabor, but can't think of a third. I found this website that has pictures and sound clips of several medieval and renaissance instruments, but I don't know what to pick. Some are obvious non-choices, but others could be used and I don't know what to pick. Suggestions?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Yes, I am talking about Budapest, but back then they were separate cities. Buda also had a large German population back in the day, and this tavern my characters are going into will have mainly German patrons. I hadn't thought about the mandolin, but the others mentioned have crossed my mind. Hmm, decisions!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well if you have gypsies in the story, the fiddle or violin would have been a common instrument. Not sure when the accordion was developed, but its been around for centuries...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The geige (the jig, the fiddle, the viol), the laute (lute), blockflöte (blockflute, recorder.) The Bas Laute would most likely be the bass instrument.