PDA

View Full Version : NY Agents vs Other City Agents

MokoBunny
11-12-2011, 02:29 AM
I was curious to hear about people's opinions regarding agents based in New York versus agents in other cities.

I wonder if people think one is better than the other or if agents in certain cities have better connections and things like that. Or even if there are absolutely no differences at all.

I apologize if my curiosity seems like an uninformed rookie mistake. And yes I know being too curious can be bad XD

Please indulge me! :D

Drachen Jager
11-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I think there's an edge with NY agents. IF they know editors personally they can just set up a meeting whenever it suits their schedule. If they don't have close personal contacts with editors it makes no difference really.

rainsmom
11-12-2011, 05:34 AM
I expect it used to matter a lot more than it does now. Now, with email and Skype, it's easy for anyone who is willing to make regular trips in to New York to be an effective agent. I think it's more important that the person have excellent contacts and a good sales record.

Ferret
11-12-2011, 05:52 AM
My agent is in New York, but I can think of some good agents who aren't. Being in New York might be helpful, but as rainsmom said, it's the sales record that matters.

Anaquana
11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Just off the top of my head I can think of at least half a dozen well-respected and successful agents who don't live anywhere near NY.

As was said above, with email, Skype, and all that technology has to offer distance isn't a factor any longer.

Pepperman
11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
In this era of video conferencing and instant messaging, I don't think it matters where you call home. A product that is good and is properly marketed will eventually sell--or at least I think it will.