PDA

View Full Version : Junior Agents vs. Agents

WriteStarfish
11-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I had a partial requested today by a junior agent at a BIG agency. This is a dream agency and I'm thrilled that this agent has shown interest. My question is... aside from junior agents having more time and thus taking on more clients (because their lists aren't already full) and the long-term potential especially as a young author- are there any major differences about working with a junior agent? This particular agent has been with the BIG agency for over 3 years and she's made some sales with full agents. Are all sales typically made in conjunction with another agent, while an agent is under the junior status? Any personal experience stories from other authors? And, would the clout of the agency more affect the deals than the junior status of the agent? Thanks!

peace
11-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Ms. Snark has a really helpful post on this:

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2006/03/junior-agents.html

WriteStarfish
11-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks very much!
I've read some of her things but I hadn't seen this.

ScribeLady
11-12-2011, 02:21 AM
From what I read on the Agent Query site, publishers force newbie agents to jump through more hoops than established agents. AQ reports having stopped recommending newbies for this reason. I'm wondering if this applies to major agencies like ICM or Trident.

Scribelady

WriteStarfish
11-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes, that's what I was wondering too. While not ICM or Trident, this agency is definitely on par with them.

MandyHubbard
11-19-2011, 03:59 AM
From what I read on the Agent Query site, publishers force newbie agents to jump through more hoops than established agents. AQ reports having stopped recommending newbies for this reason. I'm wondering if this applies to major agencies like ICM or Trident.

Scribelady

I truly have no idea what you are talking about here. I'm not doing any hoop-jumping becuase I'm newer (18 months as an agent). I've received six figure pre-empts a few days after I sent a project out. No hoop jumping neccessary. (Having a hard time imagining what such a hoop would even be!)

I was also listed on AQ as soon as I faxed them my information.

I don't have a "junior" label, but that's something various agencies do or do not do by their own choice. Some are just an 'agent' the day they join the agency-- there's no such thing as a junior agent--and some have a series of levels-- assistant agents, associate agents, junior agents, senior agents, etc.

AP7
11-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I wouldnt hesitate in the slightest to work with a junior agent at a great agency. You are getting the backing of a big agency and possibly extra time and loving care that a senior agent with a full client list wouldnt have to give.