Sitting, apparently, can kill you

Reaction score
I know that we all need to exercise and to be more active in general, but this thing scared me:

http://geekcentricity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sittingiskillingyou.png

It's a panoply of things that can happen if you spend an appreciable amount of the day sitting, and apparently exercising doesn't help much; most of the damage that can be done to your health is done just from sitting.

Does anyone have a standing-up solution for writers? :D

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a discussion about standing desks here, and here's a little alarm widget to remind you to get up regularly and move.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Crap statistics and an object lesson in correlation/causation fallacies.

Yes, if you sit all day and don't move regularly, you probably have an unhealthy lifestyle. It does not follow that sitting, itself, is responsible.

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Also remember, everything in excess can kill you. :)

My dad (who is now thankfully retired) spent his whole life standing at work. His legs are full of varicose veins, which, from what I was told, hurt like a bitch.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Sitting still all day can kill.

Which is precisely why I am taking up tightrope walking across shark infested rivers, while juggling live grenades...

I want to live forever.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
The "Sitting 6+ hours per day makes you 40% likelier to die within 15 years than someone who sits less than 3. Even if you exercise." part kinda got to me... I sit for about 12 hours a day because I'm doing school work during nearly all of my spare time. I'd like to turn 33, please... :Shrug:

:tongue

~Amber~

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's great.... just great. And here I was thinking I'd made a such an improvement moving from the couch to my ergonomically correct computer chair.

:tongue

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...was thinking I'd just sit on my exercise ball, that way I could move around...but then I got to that "175 degree angle" bit... sitting on ball + leaning back=good laugh for fam + sore ass for me.

Reaction score
here's a little alarm widget to remind you to get up regularly and move.

Here are a couple more:
Both are free. I use them both and I swear by them.

Hmm...was thinking I'd just sit on my exercise ball, that way I could move around...but then I got to that "175 degree angle" bit... sitting on ball + leaning back=good laugh for fam + sore ass for me.

I used to do that, actually, but the office got too cluttered for it. It's main benefit is for the abs. The link I put into my OP talks about the dangers related to your circulation that are posed by sitting; which is why it says that sitting for prolonged periods is bad for you even if you have an otherwise active lifestyle. Would sitting on an exercise ball fix this? I have no idea because I am not a physiologist. One would think that someone who sits on an exercise ball is not completely motionless, so perhaps it changes the equation somewhat. Who knows?

I'd love to have a standing desk, so long as it can be safely lowered for those times that I do need to sit; either that or I'd get a bar stool to go with it, and sit on that for part of the day.