Fantasy: When does an author go too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matiasve

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding Fantasy books:

When does an author crosses the line?

For example:

A lot of people dont like 'twilight' (including me) because it pretty much ruins the whole vampire concept.

What else could make alot of people hate a book?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Corrected the A lot mistake, thank you for telling me.

Hope I didnt make that mistake in any of my DUTCH stories.

Last edited:

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
When it's another genre. Then the author has cross the line over into another genre. It's as simple as that. If you're asking some sort of moral/aestethical boundary then it has to do with sales IMHO. If it gets published and sells then it aparently is fine.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
When the underlying premise lacks any consistancy because the author decides that 'this will happen because I need it to happen' rather than 'this will happen because that is how X works in my setting and here is the reason why...'., In other words, avoiding using your 'magic flangebeast' to solve the plot by some Deus ex machinae methodology...

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with areteus. However, that's pretty much it.

I haven't read the Twilight books. I don't intend to. But, when my wife watched the movies, I was right there with her (for obvious reasons). The author didn't 'ruin' the vampire concept. She twisted it - which is perfectly fine. If an author just gives you the same old thing, what's the point in reading her stuff? If you don't like it, that's fine too. Don't read it.

I don't dislike Eddings, even though he didn't write about the same dwarves and elves that Tolkien wrote about. People have imaginations. Let them be used.

Remember, vampires don't actually exist. You can write or prefer what you want.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
When it's another genre.

There are a few specific instances which I can think of where a change of genre after a couple of books has been the salvation of a series (moreso graphic novels than prose, but the point is still valid). When a successful series changes tack mid-novel, then it becomes a problem, but I see each installment as a potential new genre anyways. Some series tread the line between genres to begin with, so moving more towards, say, horror for a specific book (or any other genre) is well within the remit of the author.

As an addendum to that point, the change of genre can often be more popular with readers than the original - who here remembers Fist Of The North Star before it was a post-apocalyptic franchise? It wasn't always set in the irradiated wastelands. Similarly, the television series The Wire went from a (arguably) procedural police show in the first season, to become much, much more in later seasons. Genre-jumping is fine if you know what you are doing.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Alot of people dont like 'twilight' (including me) because it pretty much ruins the whole vampire concept.
Not to derail this but- I didn't like Twilight because I considered the writing to be terrible- just terrible- I had no objection to SM twisting the Vampire thing-in fact I thought it showed great imagination- yeah ok I didn't buy the sparkles- but still not the reason I didn't like it-

I don't think there is a thing as taking it too far in fantasy- it's sort of required isn't it?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
To seriously answer your question, it only goes too far when your readers are no longer willing to suspend disbelief.

You can do that in the way the world is created or by having impractical rules in your worlds that conflict with each. Those are the two most common ones I've come across.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A book can't ruin a concept, it can just do something with it that doesn't interest you.

If Stephanie Meyer crossed a line I want to know where that line is and the location of the nearest crossing.

MAP

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding Fantasy books:

When does an author crosses the line?

For example:

A lot of people dont like 'twilight' (including me) because it pretty much ruins the whole vampire concept.

What else could make alot of people hate a book?

But a lot of people liked Twilight too. This really just comes down to personal tastes.

But the Deus ex machinae thing feels like cheating to me.

ETA: tjwriter that link was awesome. I love Alots. :)

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I think the best fantasy novels have a very well defined set of physical laws. That is to say, magic and mythical creatures are fine, but they need rules. That's one thing I give Eddings great credit for, his magic obeyed some of the basic laws of our universe. You can't create or destroy energy/matter, all you can do is make it change states.

The author doesn't have to explain the rules, but I think they should know the boundaries in their own mind.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When they spell 'a lot' as one word.
Way to make a new person, whose introduction explained he's not a native speaker and knows he makes mistakes, feel welcome.

Maryn

Reaction score
Now how about you quote the other person in this thread who referenced that point?

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
There is no too far, just different directions.

I'd rather read a story where an author picked one, acted as tour guide and took me on an interesting journey than one where the author is constantly changing course before leaving it to the satnav to get me there.

If they want to drive past a few sparkly vampires then I'll accept a few stops I don't like if the destination is worth it, if they want to drive over a few sparkly vampires I might go on their next tour too.

The whole twilight thing is a bit strange to me. I'm a big fan of Mark Kermode's film reviews and he defends it by saying that something appealing predominantly to a young female audience isn't a problem because there's nothing wrong with writing something for a young female audience. I happen to be oldish, cynical and male so I quietly ignore twilight and it quietly ignores me.

Craig

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with areteus. However, that's pretty much it.

I haven't read the Twilight books. I don't intend to. But, when my wife watched the movies, I was right there with her (for obvious reasons). The author didn't 'ruin' the vampire concept. She twisted it - which is perfectly fine. If an author just gives you the same old thing, what's the point in reading her stuff? If you don't like it, that's fine too. Don't read it.

I don't dislike Eddings, even though he didn't write about the same dwarves and elves that Tolkien wrote about. People have imaginations. Let them be used.

Remember, vampires don't actually exist. You can write or prefer what you want.

I agree, I don't think Meyer ruined the image. There is no such thing as vamps, therefore we can make them do anything we want!

As for ruining a book, I hate convenient endings. I read a book once where it looked like the MC and her man would surely die. Instead, the most powerful vamp in the world just happened to be in the area, and just happened to sense the male, thus getting there in time to save his life.....huh? If you knew there was no other way to save him, why'd you put him in the situation?

Boston Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As for ruining a book, I hate convenient endings. I read a book once where it looked like the MC and her man would surely die. Instead, the most powerful vamp in the world just happened to be in the area, and just happened to sense the male, thus getting there in time to save his life.....huh? If you knew there was no other way to save him, why'd you put him in the situation?

Deus ex machina

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
As the OP said, he isn't a native speaker, and making jibes, or sarcastic comments, isn't helpful, from any member. And I'm not referencing anyone in particular here, just a general comment that would go in any forum that has new members asking questions, who may not be native speaker/writers of the English language.

So let's keep this thread on topic, please, with relevant and helpful replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Not Fantasy (well, arguably) but I think the Mission Impossible movie crossed the line when it made Jim the villain. That was a serious betrayal.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I was an editor for a couple of years for a paranormal romance line at a small romance epub. I saw a lot of submissions and I can tell you that quite often writers will open their stories with a character waking from a dream or nightmare, followed by the character looking into a mirror or other reflective surface and describing their looks.

I've even read this type of opening in published novels -- but no matter how well-written they are, they still seem a cliche' to me.

I also think the author crosses the line when they seem to be stunt writing--impressive sentences thrown into otherwise humdrum work. I like it when they are consistent (Elizabeth Peters) in their awesome sentence structure, not just throwing in some great sentences here and there (Patrick Rothfuss). Just my opinion. :)

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You know, I'm seeing more and more threads in here that are discussions, not requests for expertise or research.

Matiasve, you might want to start this discussion in the Science Fiction/Fantasy forum. I could port this there, but given the thread is half derailed already I think you're better to start afresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.