How many queries/week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseReifsnyder

Hi everyone,

Melina invited me to stop by this forum...so I raced right over. Nice to meet you!

Here's a question that plagues me. How many queries should a serious newbie send out every week? How many queries CAN a serious newbie send out every week?

My current goal is three per week. Is that a sure road to poverty? It seems to me that a good query requires research and a couple rewrites, but I'm always reading about writers who send out five a day - a day! - or more. How do they do it?

Please enlighten me.

Rose

PS - Here's one of my 2005 New Year's Resolutions: publish a story that pays at least 35 cents a word (please don't recoil in horror. Remember, I'm a newbie).

Melina

Rose-

How great to see you here! As for your question, it's really subjective. It all depends on the time you're willing/able to spend on your writing. Three queries a week is a very respectable goal, and should keep you good and busy. If you're able to write full time, you may find you're able to do more. You're right that you should research your subject before you query-an editor may have questions about your project before he/she gives you the assignment, and you'll want to be able to answer them.

Your goal for the year is a good one--no one here recoiling, or turning up their noses. Many writers get their first few clips by writing articles for no pay. Those clips help them win paying-and then better paying-assignments. 35 cents a word is nothing to sneeze at.

Please, check in from time to time, and let us know how it's going! We love to hear success stories, and are always here for inspiration when you need it!

Good luck!

Melina

RoseReifsnyder

Thanks Melina! For the record, I just landed another assignment for a runner's magazine. I dashed off THAT query in about fifteen minutes - I wish they could all be so easy...

Rose

Mridu

Currently, I'm trying to do 10 a week. How many you're able to send (or want to send) depends on how much time you're willing to devote to it. If magazine writing is the only thing on your agenda, 20 queries a week is not tough to do at all. On the other hand, if you have a full-time job and kids, forget it. Even three a week is tough. No one can generalize. Only you can decide how many queries a week you can send out.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mridu!

I purchased Knock Their Socks Off a few weeks ago, and I'm sure you can guess which chapter I read first: "Chapter 10: 5 Queries A Day?" Your advice to make one idea into three queries really turned on a light bulb for me. It's not as easy as it sounds (yet), but I'm hoping more experience will make those reslants come more naturally.

Your book is very inspiring, and I must admit I'm thrilled you personally responded to my question!

Thanks so much,
Rose

PS - I traveled to India a few years ago, but wasn't able to visit New Delhi. It's on my list for next time. - rr

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Thanks Rose!

Thanks so much, Rose! :Hug2:

I get very mixed reactions from people who've visited India. They either hate it or love it. What part of India did you visit and what's your take?

Oh, and next time you come, you should definitely come to Delhi. I'll show you around. :eek:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
india and queries

Hi Mridu -

I sent you a private reply, since going on and on about India is probably considered off-topic!

Rose

PS - I re-read Chapter 10 this morning, and worked at turning one idea into three queries. I sent out two. So close... rr

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Aw shucks! And I was hoping I'd be able to increase my post count by discussing India at length. Oh well. :Shrug:

{grudingly visiting User CP to send private message}

Status
Not open for further replies.