Question about copyright/publishing

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Mods, I apologize in advance, but I didn't know where to pose this question. Feel free to move this thread accordingly.

My brother has an idea and he'd like to have something produced and marketed to a very large chain. It's a logbook/scrapbook of sorts, geared to a specific market, so only a few stores would carry it, although they'd be large.

He (and I as well) think the idea is great but we have no idea how to make it happen. If he approaches a large company to help him produce the book, can they just make one themselves and market it without crediting him?

Also, how and who should he approach about creating this thing?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a blank/empty product (logbook, journal, diary, scrapbook, etc.) that the purchaser is intended to use (write in, fill, etc.) I don't think it would fall under the category of intellectual property; a copyright would not be appropriate. However, a product can be patented and/or trademarked. I would suggest that your brother consult an attorney who specializes in the field.

For further reference - http://www.uspto.gov/

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You can certainly copyright the text and images used in a workbook.

If the unique feature of this is something other than text or images, then I agree that a patent would be more appropriate.

If the unique feature of this is the idea of having a journal in which one can record, say, one's sugar intake for the day? Not copyrightable or patentable.

Last edited: