Alternative use of the word "Tender"

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading this book and one of the character, after failing at his duty as a guard, said to his boss that he will "tender [his] resignation."

And that threw me off, because I've never heard the word "tender" used in that context. Is this kind of usage common? And are there other connotations attached to this word?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
That usage is quite common.

It's been in use for a couple of hundred years:

Examples here

It turns up regularly in news reports etc: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/16/denmark-idUSL5E7KF41P20110916
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202760,00.html

I'm not sure if it has fallen out of favour in the USA - it's interesting that the first handful of examples I dug up were all about people outside of the USA .. even though they were reported in the American press.

If you want to know about other usages of the word, just type this into google:

define: tender

Mac

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that "tender resignation" in an office setting is nothing spacial, but I also agree that in the OP's quote, it reads too artificial.

For me, "tendering resignation" works for a lawyer, a doctor, an officer, or a manager, in the office or via written correspondences. But for a (security) guard in a dialogue, I don't think so. Something like "I quit" will sound more natural to me.

Even Carol Bartz posted she "...just been fired over the phone by Yahoo’s Chairman of the Board." Whereas, since Bostock read from a lawyer-prepared statement, he shouldn't have used the exact word "fire."

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm not so sure, Bing. It depends on the character himself. You can have guards with an extensive vocab. It's the kind of career choice for an ex soldier, or a retired one, and they've had a career using the right tone. Or if the guard wants to show his superiority, he might go for something more eloquent. I don't know anything about the character to be too sure.

I'd use tender my resigniation, and I've worked in a few factories. But I'd also use 'quit', depending on the context and mood I was in.

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
'Tender one's resignation is correct'. Best exposition of some of the various meanings of tender is Polonius's speech to Ophelia in 'Hamlet'.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of "cash tendered" and so has Google.

It's on the online Merriam-Webster, it really is:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tender
but there's the little box with:
1) tender (adjective)
2) tender (noun)
3) tender (verb)
and you have to scroll down to show the SECOND verb definition of tender:
4) tender (verb)
to see the definiton - I thought it meand something like "give" but it means "offer" (apparently things that are "tendered" are rarely rejected):
transitive verb
1 : to make a tender of

2 : to present for acceptance : offer <tendered my resignation>

intransitive verb
: to make a bid or tender
I like turtles dictionaries.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading this book and one of the character, after failing at his duty as a guard, said to his boss that he will "tender [his] resignation."

And that threw me off, because I've never heard the word "tender" used in that context. Is this kind of usage common? And are there other connotations attached to this word?

Yes, "tender one's resignation" is very common. I wouldn't consider it bad writing at all.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Always meant as "to formally submit" to me. It implies gravity over an offer or a proposal.

jaeladarling

I like less than half of you.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm out of the loop. I've never heard of "tender a resignation". I don't see anything wrong with it, however. It seems it's been used in proper context.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, Bing. It depends on the character himself. You can have guards with an extensive vocab.

I've probably misrepresented myself. I didn't mean to derogate a certain profession. I'm not working in any adorable professions myself and I have a very limited vocab. But I've been in HR before so this term is common to me. Anyway, the usage seems to me a little too formal for everyday dialogue. I think I'll raise an eyebrow and expect something deeper from the character saying this, especially if he/she usually speaks casually.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I've probably misrepresented myself. I didn't mean to derogate a certain profession. I'm not working in any adorable professions myself and I have a very limited vocab. But I've been in HR before so this term is common to me. Anyway, the usage seems to me a little too formal for everyday dialogue. I think I'll raise an eyebrow and expect something deeper from the character saying this, especially if he/she usually speaks casually.

It's the sort of thing someone might say who is on his dignity, regardless of whether he's a politician or a crossing guard. At home, he'd say, "I quit."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Common as dirt. I've heard it so many times I can't even really guess at the number. Certainly hundreds of times, and maybe more.

As a verb, tender means to make a formal offer, as in a resignation. As a noun, tender means to offer to do something, or to take care of someone or some task.

A variation of this you probably have heard is something like "I tend the garden" or "I tend to the kids", which is derived form the noun "tender".

I'd be willing to bet I've heard it used on TV shows at least a hundred times.