• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need a Beta Reader for a query letter (YA Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

palomazlowe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
palomazyanya.tumblr.com
So I have my manuscript basically, complete, I just need to work on a couple more scenes. But I am trying to write the query now, and am having trouble be objective. I have sent out queries in the past, and have been told I either put in too much info or too little, so basically, I am trying to create the perfect balance, so that the agent reads the query and is intrigued, but doesn't feel overwhelmed.

The query is of course very short, not even a page, and it would be really great to hear how people react who haven't read my novel.

Thanks so much in advance to those who can help me out!

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
The best way to do this is to get 50 posts and post it in the appropriate SYW thread. I did it with my query, and the responses and commentary helped me polish it pretty quickly.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
The best way to do this is to get 50 posts and post it in the appropriate SYW thread. I did it with my query, and the responses and commentary helped me polish it pretty quickly.

This.

Why get a single beta when you can have a dozen reads in qlh?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
So I have my manuscript basically, complete, I just need to work on a couple more scenes. But I am trying to write the query now, and am having trouble be objective. I have sent out queries in the past, and have been told I either put in too much info or too little, so basically, I am trying to create the perfect balance, so that the agent reads the query and is intrigued, but doesn't feel overwhelmed.

The query is of course very short, not even a page, and it would be really great to hear how people react who haven't read my novel.

Thanks so much in advance to those who can help me out!

by the way, just to nitpick a bit, because it is important to have some idea what your audience is like:

they probably aren't overwhelmed in any case--agents are pretty sharp. They may be getting bored because you drag on, confused because you cram too much stuff in, but don't have the room to actually tie it together, or convinced the book isn't promising because with too much material, you don't have the space to actually do justice to any of it, so you're left to tidbits and cliches

snoop QLH a bit. Then some more. Crit some stuff--you want folks there to write a query for you, it may happen if you just submit and take their line edits; if you want to LEARN to write one, you need to get your own hands dirty....shoulders deep. You may not be comfortable saying "an agent wants this", but you will learn what works for you as a reader and what does not, and why.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm just going to throw in my two cents and recommend Share Your Work's Query Letter Hell.

They took my query apart and made me realise how utterly clueless I was when it came to queries. Their advice was priceless, and it was useful seeing who agreed and who disagreed with different points. They're brilliant, tough but fair.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Take your time while you wait to read and comment on other queries. Try to figure out why they work or don't work. That'll help you get to 50 and also help you write your own query.

Status
Not open for further replies.