Motorcycle Crash Needs a Doctor's opinion please

Jax3683

writing around the edges of life
Registered
Reaction score
I am waiting for an email back from a friend of mine - who had a similar crash to the one I'm thinking of - but he's slow to respond and who knows when I'll hear back! So, I hope someone here can help me...

I have a character who was in an accident - it was just him, and he was wearing a helmet (as well as a leather jacket, boots and jeans). He laid the bike down going around a curve in the road, I'm not sure his speed.

He wound up in the hospital, I'd like to keep him there at least 2-3 days. I'd also *like* for him to have to go home with someone (a caretaker, crash on a friends spare bed, etc) for at least a week - to aid my storyline...

Is this feasible? And what injuries would he have?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
He laid the bike down. He and it left the road. Break the collarbone, the arm, a concussion and probably some ribs. He's in for a few days, has the weird immobilizing cast and will need someone to open jars, make meals, and make sure the concussion doesn't have any lasting effects.

That's just my two cents. We've a few doctors around the place. One will probably be along in a bit for a second opinion. :)

ETA: I edited the title to "hit the call button", so to speak.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Jax3683

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you SO much :) That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

By some (rather large) miracle, my husband has yet (**Knock on Wood**) to lay his bike down or have any real accidents! so I'm thankful for my lack of knowledge in this area.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
And don't forget the road rash.

Even with proper leathers and denim, it's like being skittered across a giant cheese grater. It takes a long painful while to wash and scrub all the gravel out of their anterior and lateral surfaces of their legs. I've contended that they need to make plate armor for motorcyclists.

Jax3683

Registered
Reaction score
Yep; I'd written in road rash, I remember when my friend had his skid. *shudder* I have never seen an injury that looked more painful than road rash.

MJM

Not a fish, already have thick skin
Registered
Reaction score
As to speed, it can really depend on HOW you crash as much as anything else -- I laid my first bike down wearing shorts and tennis shoes, still doing over forty when I came off the bike, and only bruised the palm of my hand when it slapped the pavement-- got hurt WAY more wiping out on my roller blades going down a hill -- but I have friends who've been seriously injured in relatively low-speed crashes. Especially if you get sideways and a bike flips, which turns you're lovely ride into a six or eight-hundred pound catapult ... with you being the cat that gets apulted. ;)