Prom Question! Relive the joys of high school!

Domino Derval

FREAKING OUT!
Registered
Reaction score
That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotligh
Website
denisedanes.wordpress.com
I'm writing a story in which the election of prom royalty is a major plot point. While trying to remember back to my high school days, however, I'm blanking!

I do remember Homecoming. Blank ballots were passed out in class, those nominated the most were the court, and you could vote on who got to be King, Queen, etc. during lunch. Winners were announced during the big football game. Prom probably had something similar. On the other hand, I've seen shows and movies where the voting is done at the dance itself. Or where there is no court beforehand and it's all blank ballot.

I know different schools do it different ways. If anyone remembers how their school worked, or how their kids' schools work, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I was voted as one of the lesser royalty for our prom. I think it was as you describe it, with the top nominees getting to be on the ballot and then we voted one day. We did know who was King/Queen well before the event, but there was a little ceremony at the event where the women got little tiaras.

I got engaged at my prom, to a guy whose ancestor was a famous dead general. I'm so glad fate intervened and we didn't end up actually married. Thanks for dredging up those memories :)

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
For our prom royalty they passed out a paper that had all the guys/girls (who qualified (meaning, they had decent grades)) from the junior class (ours was a junior prom. They did the seniors for homecoming) during second period and everyone circled their top six choices of girls and guys. Then, generally the next day, they'd have the six guys/girls with the most votes on "CVTV" (the "channel" for the high school that they did announcements on every Friday), and then we'd vote three from those six. The ones with the most were king/queen, and then first and second attendants.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
If I recall, ours was definitely a popularity contest (I never had a shot at it- I wasn't popular ha ha). The kids with the most nominations made it onto the ballot. We received small slips of paper in Home Room with the nominees' names printed on them and got to pick our top faves in each category. How far before prom this actually took place, however, I don't remember.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I vaguely remember having to check a box for something while sitting down at a table during prom. I bet that's what that was :D :D

We came late and left early. Great night, though! They must have crowned folks at the very end.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
in our high school we pass around blank ballots in first hour. everyone votes and the winner is announced at the end of the day on the pa system. we teachers have the last say on candidates, though. in the whole history of the system we only vetoed once and that was because of unexcused absences. the candidate had something like 20.
i was homecoming queen in college. it was at the height of the hippie daze. i was more of the anti-candidate but i made it despite wearing peace signs, an arlo guthrie hat and blue jeans. i never wore makeup and refused to tease my hair --s6

Last edited: