Recognizing Someone has died??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky P.

Registered
Reaction score
Where I was promised it wouldn't frost or freeze b

I have a question or two about death, and behavior of the Aunt who find her niece dead... I have added some background to help in brain storming or actual help from experts.

One of the MC's (In her mid 30's) died in a living-room recliner but 2 other adults (Her Aunt and close friend) in the house failed to notice she had died until hours after they had woke up.

By the time her Aunt discovered she was dead, the girl was blue/gray and had visible rigor mortis.

911 is called and both rescue and police arrive and pronounce her dead. ** I am still waiting on the actual autopsy report(s) (Legal for me to request in my state) to find the M.E.'s Est time of death, but my question is this....

How could 2 adults not notice that this girl is blue, not breathing or snoring, hasn't moved for hours?? Now mind you, 30 some months before, the Aunt also finds the girls older brother dead, in the same house, and due to the same cause (Drug OD). And her story is almost identical, word for word.........

The Aunt claimed that at about 12:30 pm she decided the girl had slept long enough and tried to wake her... BUT, eye witnesses say that the Aunts actions earlier in the day lead some to believe she did know her niece was dead, and she was readying the house for an investigation.

So, My question for this area of the story, has me crossing my fingers that there maybe some people who have knowledge in these areas, or is at least willing to help me brainstorm plausible explanations, and or theories on the actions of the Aunt.

Thank you in advance :)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Beyond that it happens, I'm reluctant to go any further in a real situation.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't find it at all surprising for someone to not notice that someone had died. I assume that the niece was in a room sleeping by herself. Until someone decided to open the door there was no reason for anyone to think that she was dead. I don't know the exact ages of the characters, but teens have been known to leep for twelve hours. I did that sometumes, and no one thought it strange.

Becky P.

Registered
Reaction score
Where I was promised it wouldn't frost or freeze b
TY Snick. The young lady was in her 30's and she was found by her Aunt in the living room in a recliner. She had decided to sleep there that night, according to the close friend, who had slept on the couch in the same room. The close friend had been in and out of that room a few times throughout the morning hours and the Aunt had been in and out the room at least 3 times that morning.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Like Jim, I'd be reluctant to comment on what's probably an on-going investigation, especially if charges may be filed. At this point, it's not an issue of whether or not we want to help your story; it's the possibility that any comments of ours could serve in one way or another to contaminate an investigation.

Wait until this thing's gone through the courts (if it does), and it may be easier for some of us to add our 2 cents worth of hindsight.

Edited to add: Even if criminal charges aren't filed, so long as there's a possibility of a lawsuit, it could still be improper to comment on the issues.

Last edited:

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Off the top of my head....

Was this individual someone who usually slept very soundly/was in the habit of passing out? (My mother used to vacuum the room I was in while I was sleeping - I never woke up - no drugs involved, just a very sound sleeper.)

Was she covered up/perhaps on her side turned away from the others in the room?

Were the others "under the influence" or otherwise impaired?

Are there reasons for a possible cover-up? (IE, could she have obtained the drugs from someone in the house, or might there have been weapons or other items that people wouldn't have wanted the police to find?)

I'm afraid you really don't have enough info to make any sort of informed guess as to what really happened.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Jim and L.C. Have good points, since this is a real case I think you'd do best to wait until the relevant info is available from officials. Anything else is speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.