Political [In]Correctness Gone Mad

gotchan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gordonrhorne.wordpress.com
I'm reading a public library copy of the 3rd edition of Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey. Someone ahead of me struck through all the gender inclusive language with a black felt pen.

For example:
"A note about the term 'hero': As used here, the word, like 'doctor' or 'poet,' may refer to a woman or a man."

"In romantic comedies, the Call to Adventure might be the first encounter with the special but annoying someone the hero or heroine will be pursuing and sparring with."

"MENTOR (Wise Old Man or Woman)"

"Note that I use the word Hero to describe a central character or protagonist of either sex."

The initial 's' of every instance of she is blotted out. Every 'her' is expunged. Sometimes 'him' is written in, sometimes not. As the book progresses the blotting becomes heavier and more frantic. Crazed scribbles saturate the page with ink and nearly tear through the paper. Then, around page 38, it stops.

I think the reader had a stroke. Pity. I was looking forward to how he or she dealt with the discussion of Beauty and the Beast, Wizard of Oz, or Titanic.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every 'her' is expunged. Sometimes 'him' is written in, sometimes not. As the book progresses the blotting becomes heavier and more frantic. Crazed scribbles saturate the page with ink and nearly tear through the paper. Then, around page 38, it stops.

I think the reader had a stroke. Pity. I was looking forward to how he or she dealt with the discussion of Beauty and the Beast, Wizard of Oz, or Titanic.

Sounds like a nasty misogynist who has no respect for books or consideration for others who may want to read them.

The library should have a record of who borrowed the book last. I hope you report the vandalism.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Sounds like a nasty misogynist who has no respect for books or consideration for others who may want to read them.

The library should have a record of who borrowed the book last. I hope you report the vandalism.

If you report it maybe they will get charged for a replacement copy?

Problem is the last person to check the book could just say it was like that when they took it and they forgot to mention it on return.
This happens all the time in my library. Anyway, the person who did this obviously has issues. They're not likely to own up to being a complete fruitcake.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In this case I'd be happy to by the replacement myself, rather than subject downstream borrowers to his post hoc editing.

Although a guy who'd mark up a library book might just admit to it if they call and ask.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, someone clearly has serious issues.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At my library, something similar came up in a book I had checked out. Someone had eradicated all the coarse and graphic language in a mystery novel about the murder of prostitutes. I showed it to the librarian when I brought it back and she told me she knew exactly who'd done it but would go through the steps, confirming this individual had checked out the book, then charge him or her for a replacement copy.

It's just pathetic that someone still does get the message that women aren't children or chattel. Sheesh.

Maryn, shaking her head

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Edit: Oopsie, duplicate post.

gotchan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There's no "Damage Noted" sticker in the book. So I will report it when I take it back. However, there may be others between marker boy and me who did not report the damage.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Problem is the last person to check the book could just say it was like that when they took it and they forgot to mention it on return.
This happens all the time in my library. Anyway, the person who did this obviously has issues. They're not likely to own up to being a complete fruitcake.
That's good reason for the library to keep track of who checked out all marked-up books, and see if there's a pattern of one person having checked out several of them. Even so, such books could have been marked up in the library when no one had them checked out. A person who had checked out two such books could be falsely accused, especially if they (or "he," or "he or she" - see below <sigh>) have check out a large number of books, as they may have coincidentally checked out two marked-up books. A statistician should be part of such an investigation.
It's just pathetic that someone still does get the message that women aren't children or chattel. Sheesh.

Maryn, shaking her head
Whoever did this definitely has "issues" of some kind, probably misogyny, but it occurs to me the person might be an English Language Nazi who wants to enforce the convention (as I was taught in the early 1970's) that indefinite (?) male pronouns such as "he" and "him" apply to both men and women.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
That's good reason for the library to keep track of who checked out all marked-up books, and see if there's a pattern of one person having checked out several of them. Even so, such books could have been marked up in the library when no one had them checked out. A person who had checked out two such books could be falsely accused, especially if they (or "he," or "he or she" - see below <sigh>) have check out a large number of books, as they may have coincidentally checked out two marked-up books. A statistician should be part of such an investigation.

A nice idea but my library (as with most in the UK - the ones that are still open, thank you, Cameron) is operating with a pretty thin level of staffing so I don't think many libraries would have someone free to do this.

gotchan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm thinking TIRL (Troll In Real Life).
I don't think so. You can see marker boy getting angrier page by page. The first few redactions are thin, neat single lines. Gradually the strike-throughs get heavier and messier. The last few are huge black splotches. You can see the frenzy in the pen strokes. I think if he'd been using a ballpoint he'd have gone right through the paper.

It's a fascinating little study of a deteriorating mind. No matter how hard he tries, he just cannot make these women go away! There's always another one on the next page.

(Sort of like that old Sesame Street book, There's a Monster at the End of this Book.)

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A nice idea but my library (as with most in the UK - the ones that are still open, thank you, Cameron) is operating with a pretty thin level of staffing so I don't think many libraries would have someone free to do this.
I was thinking a few lines of SQL code added to already computerized databases, could pay for itself in finding the culprits of just a few books.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty scary. It's not surprising if you think about it, but it's damned scary.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Whoever did this definitely has "issues" of some kind, probably misogyny, but it occurs to me the person might be an English Language Nazi who wants to enforce the convention (as I was taught in the early 1970's) that indefinite (?) male pronouns such as "he" and "him" apply to both men and women.

That occurred to me too. Of course, it doesn't make him less of a douche-bag. Either way, he either has an unhealthy disrespect for property rights and women, or an just an unhealthy disrespect for property rights. Either way, he (or she :tongue ) has the morals of a poo-flinging monkey.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
The initial 's' of every instance of she is blotted out. Every 'her' is expunged. Sometimes 'him' is written in, sometimes not. As the book progresses the blotting becomes heavier and more frantic. Crazed scribbles saturate the page with ink and nearly tear through the paper. Then, around page 38, it stops.

I think the reader had a stroke.
Yeah, this person is probably dead now. I'm surprised it took so long.

Whatever views someone holds, that kind of behaviour is pure vandalism. Vandalism of books is serious business. If it was indeed a man who performed this act, and it seems likely, and if he's not already dead, then I'd like to see him given a hard slap on the wrist and a sex change and sent on her way.