Best Movie Adapted from a Book(s)

The MG Renegade

Humor + Sarcasm + Boys = Good Time
Registered
Reaction score
Debated this with my wife for hours, so I thought I would add it to this foum.

My question is simple; What is your favorite movie that was adapted from a book?

Mine is easily LOTR: Return of the King. Jackson's adaptation was great with the exception of the end. I wanted to see Saruman, Wormtongue, and their gang taking over Hobbiton. But overall, this was an amazing movie. I have watched it over 30 times and never get bored of watching it.

Her favorite was the Stephen King novel, Rose Red. It was a mini-series, so it encompassed the entire novel. While I thought it was OK, I'm not a horror fan.

So what's your favorite? :evil

The MG Renegade

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that... I had to google it... lol..

But wow, it got 13 Emmy nominations! I just ordered it off of Amazon to check it out!

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Princess Bride. Of course it helps that the novel was written by an experienced screenplay writer (who also did the screenplay).

I didn't know Rose Red was a novel. There's a novel based on the Ellen's life/diary, but I thought that just covered the backstory, not the main part of the mini-series.

The MG Renegade

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, didn't know that! I just questioned the wife and she said it was scripted by Stephen King, but there was a novel called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red. But it was this short novel that got her interested. Apparently, it was done as a promotional novel for the mini-series and later made into a movie. I told her that this doesn't count. lol. :rant:

The MG Renegade

Registered
Reaction score
I can probably add the Harry Potter novels to this. While a MG/YA series, it definitely translated well into movies. My personal favorite was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It was actually Socerer's Stone movie that got me into the books in the first place.

The MG Renegade

Registered
Reaction score
The Godfather

Done.

Ooohhh... Great movie... I must admit that I never read the book. I'm gonna have to get it from the library...

I'm starting to think this thread was a bad idea... There's probably gonna be too many things added to my want list. :Shrug:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It's easier to say what is not a great adaptation as there are far more of them :)

In my opinion, the Harry Potter films are better than the books in the same was as True Blood (the series) is better than the Southern Vampire mysteries (the books) but that could simply be because I find both the authors' writing styles slightly irritating in parts.

Neither Watchmen, From Hell nor V for Vendetta are better than the original graphic novels but they are still excellent adaptations. The less said about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the better...

I agree with the Princess Bride being a fine film as well as LOTR though I mainly respect Peter Jackson for his ability to make good use of special effects (i.e. not everything was CGI as happened in some other films of the same period *ahem* Star Wars *ahem* :) )

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh. The book is pretty difficult to read and the film captures of the essence of it all, brings it to life in a way that the book struggles to. Have to rate it as the best adaption in terms of making something more from the source material.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I never read The Princess Bride

but given how that is the best movie EVAR then it wins and you can now lock this thread :)

I can't believe how well that movie holds up even today. I saw it again a few months ago, just flipping through the channels and lo and behold I stopped just to watch a scene. Next thing I know, its 80 minutes later...

Mel...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
TV? Boringly, 'The Wire', adapted loosely by David Simon from his amazing 'Homicide - A Year on the Killing Streets." Filmwise, probably 'The Maltese Falcon'.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A few that come to mind:

Schindler's List

Papillon

Jaws

The English Patient

Das Boot
(The Boat)

The Perfect Storm

For Whom the Bells Toll

And several dozen others, if I took the time to list them all.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few that come to mind:

Schindler's List

Papillon

Jaws

The English Patient

Das Boot
(The Boat)

The Perfect Storm

For Whom the Bells Toll

And several dozen others, if I took the time to list them all.

Isn't it For Whom the Bell Tolls?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, GRR Martins, A Game of Thrones. I anxiously await season 2...

I'm having a hard time waiting myself. :)

We need a season 3 just to see Jaime's character arc begin to come full circle. :D

I'm on board with LOTR. There was no way to make that thing 100% canon and they did such a lovely, beautiful "tribute" to the books.

Last edited:

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
Jurassic Park

I know, the movie was a lot different from the book. But it was good different, it had its own kind of excitement.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
The Exorcist

Get Shorty

The Dark Half (Stephen King)

The Basketball Diaries

M.A.S.H

shit many more . .