Word conversion to PDF for createspace??!! Agh!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, without knowing what exactly the problem is, I'll do my best.

The easiest way to do this is to use the createspace templates for the trim size you want.

Make sure that you are NOT using tabs etc as they will look weird on the template, follow the steps below.

1. download and open the CS template for the trim size you want. It automatically opens in word - it's easier to use the already formatted one and just paste in your text.

2. open your MS in another document.

3. One your MS - select all

4. clear / remove all formating and styles - this will remove all the tabs etc.

5. in the 'paragraph' tab there is a section for 'indentation' in teh drop down for 'special' select first line, then in the 'by' drop down select the right indent - bear in mind that the trim size is smaller and the indent in in cm, so you will need to reduce it by about half.

6. Start to copy your text by highlighting it one chapter at a time and pasting it into the correct section - sometimes word does weird spacing here, but here's how to fix:

7. in the template highlight all of the text you just pasted in, go back to the 'paragraph' tab and this time you want to go to the 'spacing' section at the bottom, make sure you select '0' in the drop down menu for 'before' and 'after' - this will remove the weird space between the paragraphs.

this should solve all the weird things that word pdf's do.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Just get CutePdf (free) and write your word file to a PDF file (actually, you print it to the PDF file).

It's never failed for me.

If you have word then you can download the PDF add-on from Microsoft for free.

Jason E Thummel

Registered
Reaction score
I've used pdf24, which is free, several times without a hitch. One nice feature is you can drag your word doc and drop it into pdf24 and it does the conversion.

Good luck.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
What is your trim size? I'm willing to set up the basic layout for you, but you will need to go through the document to change spacing, alignment, headers/footers and centering chapter headings. I can get it into the format in just a few minutes. It's all the tweaking that takes time. I can get you started, but you will need to finish it using Word software and doing all the detail work yourself. I already have your document on my hard drive, so if you tell me the trim size you're using, I can download the CreateSpace template for it. I'm offering to do the easy part! Ha! But, it should get you started on the right path, at least.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Ok.... I tried the pdf24 in particular and it wont convert anything I try to dl???? Ug. Is there any pdf I can work on after I pdf it?

No. You want the Word document to look exactly as you want the book to look. They call this camera ready (i.e., it's ready to print as is). Then you save it as a pdf and that it was you upload to CreateSpace.

If your pdf isn't looking the way you want, you need to reformat the Word file.

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Just sent you via e-mail a very quickly formatted 5.25" x 8" document. You will need to "pretty it up," but you have headers and footers, appropriate auto indents, and justified text alignment. You will need to center your chapter headings and, as I said, make any adjustments you want as far as spacing is concerned (dropping first chapters part-way down the page, etc.). Good luck!