Querying Agents in Other Countries?

buxfan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.NewBabyProductions.com
I was wondering what the etiquette was for querying agents in other countries. I haven't really thought about it until now, but our book may be more receptive in other parts of the world. I am specifically looking at the UK.

Is it ok to query agents in the UK? Is it frowned upon? Any success stories? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
Why would it be frowned upon? With technology as it is you are never likely to meet your agent/publisher. From my experience being an expat writer in Asia, agents like the idea of writers from new regions, if they are good enough, sure, it might work as an advantage.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So long as the work you are offering is marketable in the country the agent operates in, there is no reason not to.
I know of many writers - some on this board - who have agents in different countries.
A few UK agents specify that they do not wish to for with ex-pat writers, but most are OK with it.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
There's no problem with it, but be aware that the UK querying system can be different to the US one (a lot of UK publishers request covering letters and synopsises, not queries).

CarlyeKnight

Registered
Reaction score
I know here in the US, agents get 15% for domestic sales and 20% for foreign. If I decided to go with an overseas agent (assuming my book would have overseas appeal), I'd have to see how the percentages get distributed.

I should probably JFGI. ;)

FUwriting

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it, but prepare for some surprises. I submitted to the Chicken House contest and they asked for a chapter outline. Never heard of that in my life. Turns out it's just a few summary sentences for every chapter in the book!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I'm also the other way around. I live in the Netherlands; my agent lives in the US. It hasn't been a problem. He called me to offer rep and since then we've used e-mail. (Also, since I get up late and he gets up early, we're practically in the same time zone!)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, my agent is in Germany (I'm bilingual). As I went through the process of finding an agent, all the agencies I contacted were fine with accepting the MS by email, even the ones who stated on their website they only accepted MS by mail - one thing I had been worried about.
We worked out the contract so that this agent only rep's work I write in German.

I will be looking for a Canadian or US agent to rep my English language MS. Maybe a bit convoluted, but this approach seems to make the most sense to me.