Elmore Leonard, the Western & Everything In-between ...

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this comes off like an advert, it's not meant to; but I've always liked a bit of Elmore Leonard. :)

Perhaps it was his name that first turned me on. Certainly I was aware of the moniker before I'd read a page of his writing and there is, I think, something great about the collection of letters and syllables that form his handle.

I mean -- Elmore Leonard -- just brilliant.

The man -- and I think it only fair to call him that due to his gender, age, status and brilliance -- can write. And, what's more, here's a man who cut his teeth in the Western genre before he went on to corner the market as the quality purveyor of the pulpy, lowlife crime caper with a moral and socially conscious heart.

So, with Elmore on my mind, I was wondering what views people had on our man as a writer (of any genre but especially the Western). Good, bad, ugly? Plain great or plain grating?

I was also interested in what people thought of his western novels, short stories and film adaptations of said writings.

Finally, I was thinking about how Elmore shows that the Western can be seen (like the blues can be seen as the source of modern music) as the source of much of American modern writing. I wonder whether people would agree with this and whether a discussion of it might bring some new writers into the fold in an exploration of thier roots.

That's a lot of thinking for one night -- I'm guessing it musta been the sarsaparilla that done it. Either way, I'm a looking forward to any and all responses. :)

Last edited:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago I was given a book,the complete collection of western short stories by Elmore Leonard. It is a good book that I have only managed to read half of thus far. The stories are focused primary on the New Mexico and Arizona Territories during the Apache Indian Wars of the late 19th century.

They are all good westerns and would recommend them to anyone.

There are a few other writers whose western works I have found good are Robert Parker, Elmore Kelton, and Charles Porter.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit I have not read anything by Leonard. you have got me thinking I need to remedy that!

In general you are correct that the Western is the basis for American story-telling. Fenimore Cooper pretty much kicked off popular American fiction with the Leatherstocking tales (that's kind of a slight on Brockden-Brown & Hugh Brackenridge, but those guys never had Cooper's impact).

In a general way stories work better with free-agent heroes, big changes, and dynamic settings. That's what Westerns have, but in a distinctly American way. It's the formula of an individualist, in a lawless but valuable land, who effects some change on society by his actions. I've over-simplified, but I think there's some truth in that.

That comes in for a lot of criticism. Slotkin's Regeneration Through Violence and the two succeeding volumes work from Mary Rowlandson & Benjamin Church forward to Star Trek. The idea is that Indian wars in colonial New England created an uber-myth that American's use to pattern everything from fiction to foreign policy. Slotkin rides his concept pretty hard. Pretty soon everyone is an Indian (Confederates+Indians, Outlaws+Indians, Big Business+Indians, Viet Cong+Indians, etc). Still it's an interesting idea if you can wade through it all.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago I was given a book,the complete collection of western short stories by Elmore Leonard. It is a good book that I have only managed to read half of thus far. The stories are focused primary on the New Mexico and Arizona Territories during the Apache Indian Wars of the late 19th century.

They are all good westerns and would recommend them to anyone.

There are a few other writers whose western works I have found good are Robert Parker, Elmore Kelton, and Charles Porter.

I just got The Complete Western Stories myself, CD. :)

I've only dipped into it so far and not read anything in its entirety, but what I've read is good and interesting. It's definitely a useful collection for those interested in 1950's western literature (albeit mostly written for magazines, papers and comics) and also as a document (in concert with the Leonard western and subsequent crime novels) of the progression of Leonard's and American writing.

Thanks also for the recommendations. Will keep my eye out for them on my charity book shop travels. :)

Not a fan of his pulp fiction work...

Aha! You can't just give us an ellipsis there, TG. :)

Maybe you're suggesting that his westerns were great and then it was all downhill after that. Or perhaps you are suggesting you don't like him at all. It could even be you're saying what he writes isn't pulpy.

If it's any or none of the above, I would love to see you lose the three dots and expand a little more. :)

I have to admit I have not read anything by Leonard. you have got me thinking I need to remedy that!

As your attorney, I advise you to beg steal or borrow a copy of Valdez is Coming. It's a big novel in a little book. So well written and with loads of depth. Oh, and exciting, too. You won't regret it. :)

In a general way stories work better with free-agent heroes, big changes, and dynamic settings. That's what Westerns have, but in a distinctly American way. It's the formula of an individualist, in a lawless but valuable land, who effects some change on society by his actions.

I'm in agreement and I think the thing I was interested in with regard to Elmore Leonard (and most of American fiction from literature to film) is the move from the Western to the Crime genre.

After the American western internal expansionism (I'm not mentioning external American expansionism or things will get, well, expansive) ended and literature and film caught up and did it to death; the only things that remained were the ideals you mention -- but not the landscape.

Thus, I think, the Western gave way to the Crime genre in which individualism can still be played out in all its American glory. The interesting thing is that (with a few exceptions) both the landscape and the freedom of the actors in the crime genre has been much reduced. I'm thinking about a landscape contracted to cities blocks and characters that are free to pursue both the 'American Dream' and all the subverted facets of it, but are also -- and paradoxically -- trapped because they have no real and new place to either conquer or escape to.

The western did and, dare I say it, still can offer a place for the American ideal to play out and both reflect the loss of this freedom and, ultimately suggest a path to a 'better' way. Or maybe I'm wrong and the only place for the discussion of these things is in Sci-fi. I think I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Either way -- and no doubt I'm preaching to the converted here -- I hope writers (and especially American writers) know that there is no better vehicle for the discussion of America and no better way of getting to the American heart than through writing in the Western genre.

Or perhaps I'm wrong about that, too. Perhaps the Crime genre is the new (and with its greater involvement of ethnic groups without the need for revisionist works it may well have a head start) vehicle for the discussion and propagation of these ideals. Still, even if this is the case, I've a feeling there are many riches to be found in tilling soil already over worked.

Farmers don't leave a field fallow for nothing. Even if crops don't grow, imagine the buried treasure underneath all that earth. :)

Slotkin's Regeneration Through Violence and the two succeeding volumes work from Mary Rowlandson & Benjamin Church forward to Star Trek. The idea is that Indian wars in colonial New England created an uber-myth that American's use to pattern everything from fiction to foreign policy. Slotkin rides his concept pretty hard. Pretty soon everyone is an Indian (Confederates+Indians, Outlaws+Indians, Big Business+Indians, Viet Cong+Indians, etc). Still it's an interesting idea if you can wade through it all.

Excellent suggestion. Never heard of the fellow, but will keep him/her in mind when next I tax the local Uni's library.

I should add I that I have a few issues with Mary Rowlandson after taking her 'removes' to pieces with regard to the consistency and logic of its puritan religiosity -- so I can totally see how our man gets to Star Trek from her. All theatre, morals and hypothesis to order, ain't it.

Talking of hypothesis to order, I totally understand what you're saying about Slotkin riding his concept hard. Any hypothesis, especially a Leftist (which I presume Slotkin's is) hypothesis can be beautfully subtle at first, but the more far reaching it gets the broader its strokes become in trying to fit everything into it.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Last edited:

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of food for thought there Harry. The Western definitely has an emotional & sentimental value for Americans no other genre does. I think sometimes that gets in the way.

The crime genre was about as old as the Western, but in the 1920s, just as America was becoming a majority urban country, crime fiction got a make-over in the form of the hard-boiled. I'm not sure if the Western had figures who impacted it the same as Hammett, Chandler, Cain & Woolrich did crime & thrillers. Much as I like Max Brand or Zane Gray, they stayed in a sentimental style. To put it this way, read Red Harvest & then look for a contemporary (1920s) Western that has that impact.

I wonder if readers want a Western that remains innocent. It would be hard to process something like Blood Meridian if the Western is supposed to represent one's belief in the innate goodness of America.

The opposite reaction is to reject it as an unbearable lie. Why read Westerns if they are all sad stories of the rape of a continent?

So for me, what I want is something that recognizes the corrupt nature of the world AND the striving of heroes to be in it & maintain their integrity.

Have you ever read "The Simple Art of Murder"? It is a great essay by Raymond Chandler about crime fiction. But what Chandler has to say applies a lot to Westerns, Fantasy, and any other genre you care to name.

In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.

Simple Art of Murder

I don't want to sound unduly negative, because Westerns fascinate me. They can say anything. A lot has been said with them & will continue as long as Americans still tell stories.

PS, picked up Valdez is Coming from the library! :D

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please excuse the font, I wrote this in Word and it's not translated well. :)

Just got around to reading The Simple Art of Murder, DH.
I'd never heard of it before – my knowledge of Chandler started and ended at The Big Sleep until now -- so I am most pleased you posted it because it’s an excellent read.

The essay was so applicable to the Western Genre that it couldn't help but further my view of the Western genre as being intrinsically linked (the move from one to other) to the crime genre. I also wondered if my application of Chandler's essay to the western would be the same as yours or the next guy or girls.

I'd be interested to hear what you made of it in this regard -- further than your quoted passage -- as well as your opinion of how much -- obviously you don’t think too much otherwise you wouldn’t have posted it -- the piece has aged and what, if any of it, you think is not applicable today to either the western or crime genres.*

I couldn't fault much of what Chandler said and the best thing about it -- you know, beyond all that boring stuff about writing (ahem) -- is that he says it so well. It was funny; and so sharp I cringed a few times when Chandler landed blows on things I am guilty of.

The essay also made me want to read Dashiell Hammett and reminded me of a quote about him -- at least I think it was him -- by a critic of the time which is quite relevant to the essay. Here I'll have to paraphrase because I can't remember the exact words -- in fact, it may have even been a quote about Chandler, but what the hell, the meaning I'll draw from it is the same.

The critic said -- of either Hammett or Chandler or one of the hardboiled writers -- their detective caused more problems than he solved. After a body count, the critic said of the (something like) 12 deaths, 8 could've been prevented if the detective had of stayed at home and not taken the case.

Funny, yes; but, in relation to the essay -- and even if the critic was just being arch -- it well illustrates Chandler's point about Hammett's style of 'realism' allowing the characters to live and create the story as opposed those of Dorothy Sayers whose central characters were incapable of being real by virtue of being subservient to the formulaic plot.

It's showing, in my opinion, how the cause and effect of action, and the untidiness of life manifest and change a genre when the author tries to breath 'real life' into a character. The characters begin to write the story rather than the other way around, by doing this the characters can propel both narrative and genre into something that has not gone before. Which is, when taken in regard to the western, a very interesting concept indeed. It also prods my arm as a writer and makes me wonder how the stories I tell come about. From central story idea? From character? From underlying theme? Hmmm?

Anyway, I think that's quite enough from me. So in deference to the detective genre I will light a cigar, put on a crumpled raincoat and leave.

Oh, just one more thing ... have you started Valdez is Coming yet, DH?

*This is a big ask, so feel free not to be bound to giving a long reply or even a reply at all. :)

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
I came late to this discussion, so I guess I'll start at the beginning. :) I discovered Elmore Leonard for the first time earlier this year. I read a couple collections of his short stories. I also thought they were great, although a few of the ones focusing on the Indian wars were a bit bloody for my taste. I usually incline toward character-driven stories, both in my reading and my writing, so my favorites were "Saint With a Six-Gun", "The Man With the Iron Arm", "Blood Money", "Three-Ten to Yuma" (I had heard of the movie, but never realized it was based on a short story) and so on. "Saint With a Six-Gun" just might be one of my favorite Western short stories. I loved the touch of dry humor, especially at the end. Leonard seems to be one of those writers who can say a lot in a few straightforward words. There's a fine line between being able to do that and having it come off sounding too short and clipped.

Incidentally, I recently took a look at the free sample of the Kindle edition for his complete Western stories, and was a little surprised to see there were only a handful in there that I hadn't already read.I'd been under the impression that there would be a lot more - maybe just because most other Western writers I read were so prolific.

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the touch of dry humor, especially at the end. Leonard seems to be one of those writers who can say a lot in a few straightforward words. There's a fine line between being able to do that and having it come off sounding too short and clipped.

Yup, I'd agree with you here. He's got a great low key humour and is a master of saying a lot without saying much. I wish (and most people who listen to what I say or read what I write would agree) I had that talent. :)

Incidentally, I recently took a look at the free sample of the Kindle edition for his complete Western stories, and was a little surprised to see there were only a handful in there that I hadn't already read. I'd been under the impression that there would be a lot more - maybe just because most other Western writers I read were so prolific.

I believe Leonard wrote some 30 or so Western shorts and the great majority were written in the early stage of his writing. The same goes for his western novels, maybe six or seven books -- something like that anyway. Compared to the more prolific writers its not much, but then again, a few good ones are better than a lot of bad ones. :)

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I started on Valdez, but it's been a crazy busy so I haven't had time to dig into it properly. I get most of my reading done on my lunch break at work these days... Anyway, please pardon my rambling pontifications below!

I think Chandler's essay is still spot on. To my point of view, Robert E Howard did for fantasy what Chandler & Hammett did for crime fiction. Hammett is another favorite writer. Red Harvest is one of my all-time favorite books. Funny thing is it's a Western in all but name. A Western city, beset by criminals, brought in by a greedy business baron, faced down by a lone man who relies on his wits & his gun. Note it got re-made as a Samurai film which got re-made as a Western. I'm not usually much for endless re-makes, but these were all good ones!

You can find a lot of Westerns too that are basically detective stories set in the West. That's a great thing about the Western, you can do so much with it.

My preference is for the gritty. I probably watch more Westerns than I read Westerns. I like John Ford, Sergio Leone, & Sam Peckinpah, the usual Western movie guys. Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann) is a brilliant example of a hard-boiled Western. Funny you should mention heroes who manage to destroy a place to save it: that's sort of the point of Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars. Peckinpah's protagonists tend to do the same, though most of them are so trigger-happy you're surprised anybody's left alive. To be fair, Peckinpah made some good, not over-the-top violent Westerns such as Ballad of Cable Hogue & Junior Bonner.

I guess there's one consolation of writing Westerns in the era of their eclipse. You have freedom since no one really cares what you do with abandoned property. Westerns will come back, it'll be the pioneers who re-worked those abandoned claims & found new paydirt.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started on Valdez, but it's been a crazy busy so I haven't had time to dig into it properly.

That is good news, because it means you still got some greatness to come. I got my hands on The Maltese Falcon today and am looking forward to starting it in the morrow.

I think Chandler's essay is still spot on.

I'm with you -- apart from what he says about readers. Whilst I think the essay is still applicable to the contemporary reader with regard to them wanting to enjoy a book and not to look too deeply at it, I think the modern reader is (much like the modern writer mentioned in Chandler's essay) much more sophisticated.

I think it harder for the modern reader to suspend their disbelief and swallow obvious contradictions in fiction than it was for their earlier counterparts. Though one could say the writer moves on as fast as the reader and therefore the gap is always the same.

Either way, nothing I’ve said can explain the popularity of some modern blockbusters -- so what do I know? :)

Red Harvest is one of my all-time favorite books. Funny thing is it's a Western in all but name. A Western city, beset by criminals, brought in by a greedy business baron, faced down by a lone man who relies on his wits & his gun. Note it got re-made as a Samurai film which got re-made as a Western ... You can find a lot of Westerns too that are basically detective stories set in the West. That's a great thing about the Western, you can do so much with it.

I'll keep an eye out for Red Harvest. Sounds a little like Stephanie King ripped it off for his Dark Towers thing. :)

I think, if I read you right, you're correct in inferring that the western genre is more than just a pre-cursor to crime here.

Certainly the western, in any of its incarnations (American, Japanese etc), could be seen as what I would term as the original 'life on the edge of coming civilization' narrative. When viewed as such -- and when seen as malleable due to an arguably universal mythic status -- one can surely see a future in it.

The above statement may, of course, sound counter intuitive -- how can a moribund genre have a future?

I think an answer – though not the answer -- can be found in further discussion of the American western.

First, let us imagine the reason for the death of the American western in classic form is that it's 'life on the edge of coming civilization' narrative has been made redundant by Americas post 1980s perceived self-progress and civilization. This view would surely make the western dead, and yet -- it lives.

Look at the 1992 Clint Eastwood film Unforgiven – Revisionist, yes. Violent, yes. But at its heart still a western story of redemption, simpl[ish] morals and life on the edge of the corruptive house building civilization of Gene Hackman’s Little Bill Daggat.

Why did the America of the early 90s take to heart (and wallet) a western after so many years of avoiding it?

Perhaps because Clint Eastwood is a kick ass fella? Could be – but maybe, after the presidency of Bush Snr, Americans didn't feel too civilized and sought a return to a simpler way embodied in a mythic narrative that reflected it – just look at the end of that film for evidence of this.

If this is the case, one would also do well to ask why, on the cusp of a Reaganite era, Heaven’s Gate died a death at the box office, and then ask further questions of whether an Obama Whitehouse is conducive to a western or not.

Certainly – just by asking these questions and by thinking on them – one can see how the western narrative and genre can be seen as a living (or at least temporarily dormant until needed) thing in contemporary American culture rather than moribund.

So, if the western is intrinsically linked to the 'life on the edge of coming civilization' narrative that I have suggested, what other evidence shows the genre isn't moribund?

This begs the question, where are the new Westerns in the time of Bush Jnr and Obama?

They are there if you look for them. They just turn about the narrative (as i define it) a little bit and this turning is, I think, telling.

The truly modern westerns -- I'm not talking Unforgiven here, or even No Country for Old Men -- are The Road, The Book of Eli and the TV show The Walking Dead. Each work tweaks the same narrative I have defined, but instead of a coming civilization, they talk of one that has gone.

Where else but in an apocalyptic setting is the Western -- whose narrative I have defined as 'life on the edge of coming civilization' -- better played out on the television and cinema screens of a civilization that -- perhaps wrongly or prematurely or even in an awareness of its death throes -- considers itself already civilized?

You may give the Crime genre as an answer to this question. And it is, as I have already posited in previous posts and will no doubt discuss further in future posts if you aren’t all bored, definitely an option. But the above apocalyptic films, with their return to true or mythical frontier (or cyclic post-frontier) ethics and representations of the west, would certainly seem to be indicative of the modern western form.

What this says about modern America, and what hope or lack of hope it gives with regard to the (perhaps) moribund western genre, is palpable.

As I have said, here [America] is a civilized country looking at itself in the mirror in the only way it knows how. It’s a pragmatic country who discusses itself in the dreams of its fictions. But it’s a country in trouble. It can’t go back honestly. It can’t return itself to the open landscape of the frontiers because it has had to lie to itself about its urban (and urbane) civilization to become civilized.

It is a country grown up too quick and as such does not like to recall playing cowboy and Indian in the hot summer days of its youth. It can now only – save for the occasional Unforgiven -- look to the present (in the reductive crime genre) and the future (in the apocalyptic western and dystopian sci-fi genres). It is a place which has ignored its own mythic and constructed narrative for too long.

What does this mean for western writers? Does it mean a moribund genre is doing itself to death by rushing on into a future where it can only subsist on lies and projections of how a ‘culture’ wants to see itself?

I think not. I think America is a young and a lost nation that, in its tumble forward, needs its mythic past in both recognizing itself as it was and in recognizing itself as it wants (or at least wanted) to be – and, though there is both an epic heroism and tragedy in this, for writers of the western genre there is only a deep seam to mine.

Be it in the classic, the modern or the futurist form – the western is the perfect vehicle for America discussion of itself and a perfect reminder of how it – in both sides of its character – was and was wanting to be.

So, after far too many beers I’ll finally bring this rant to a close and say -- write on western writers. Your country – in fact, all countries need you. :)

My preference is for the gritty. I probably watch more Westerns than I read Westerns. I like John Ford, Sergio Leone, & Sam Peckinpah, the usual Western movie guys. Winchester '73 (Anthony Mann) is a brilliant example of a hard-boiled Western.

Same here. In fact, I’ve read only a handful of western novels (trying to change that) but I think you can’t go wrong with a good western film.

I’m more a Peckinpah kind of a guy – not for the violence (after all, Peckinpah’s violence was more about showing the awfulness of violence than the thrill of it) but because its – and I hate to admit this – on the cusp of the modern.

I still like the older stuff, but – as stylistic as Peckinpah can be – when one watches an older film (pre 50s) the younger viewer really has to deal with an style all its own.

Whilst its true that older film has a beauty all its own, I think there is nothing so great as watching Pat Garret and Billy the Kid and not having to translate the acting style and mise en scene.

Sometimes it just great to say – okay 70s, and what the hell is Dylan doing? But still, what a marvellous all the way through.

I should add now that I am very, very drunk. :)

I guess there's one consolation of writing Westerns in the era of their eclipse. You have freedom since no one really cares what you do with abandoned property. Westerns will come back, it'll be the pioneers who re-worked those abandoned claims & found new paydirt.

Right on. Right. Bloody. On.

Western writers of the world unite! After all, the world looks like it needs you. :)

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Am I the only one here who has read The Virginian by Owen Wister?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I read / skimmed Harry's dialogue above. I'm going to throw out a totally different idea on the demise of the American western - women's lib. Think about it - in the early days of television there were many westerns - it was a man's world. Women's lib came along and suddenly there was a glut of shows featuring the fairer sex in various roles. Don't discount the roles women's liberation and the equal rights movement have had on the shape and scope of literature and film. Puma

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I must admit, I have not read The Virginian. I am just about through with Valdez is Coming. I see what you mean Harry! (Hurrying back to editing/reading/cleaning the house).

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Count me among the uneducated too, Dan. I've never read the Virginian. You obviously like it a lot, could you give me a short synopsis of why (which might prompt me to check for it in the library.) Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Puma, for me its the novel that got me started writing at all. Basically its the first real Western Novel. Printed in 1902, it paved the way for many more famous western authors like Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour. The TV western The Virginian is based on the book.

FROM WIKIPEDIA

Plot Summary
Written from the standpoint of the narrator, the book holds strong reflections to Wister's earlier visit to Wyoming. Starting with the authors' arrival in Medicine Bow, WY, the novel describe his encounters with the wild west. He makes friends with the strong minded foreman of the Shiloh Ranch, and discovers the west to be very different from what he had thought. From that point onward, the novel revolves around the foreman, known only as the Virginian, and his life as he lives it. As well as describing the Virginian's conflict with his enemy, Trampas, and his romance with the pretty schoolteacher, Wister weaves an excellent tale of action, violence, hate, revenge, love and friendship. Wister succeeds in making the Virginian a stern man with a soft side to his personality. The book contains many different stories throughout. In one scene, the Virginian must participate in the hanging of an admitted cattle thief, who had been his close friend. The hanging is represented as a necessary response to the government's corruption and lack of action, but the Virginian feels it to be a horrible duty. He is especially stricken by the bravery with which the thief faces his fate and the heavy burden that it places on his heart forms the emotional core of the story. The ongoing conflict with Trampas, his never ending enemy, is resolved at the end, when after five years of hate, there is a fatal shootout. Trampas is shot by the Virginian, and the foreman leaves to marry his young bride. The next day, he and she ride off together into the mountains. The book ends with a short description of their later life, and the fact the Virginian eventually became a great man with several children.

Last edited:

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
The Virginian is on my to-read list too. I've been kind of avoiding it for a while, because I love the TV show, and I know the book is very different (e.g. in the TV show Trampas is the Virginian's pal rather than his "never ending enemy", plus there's additional characters created for the show). But since it's considered such a classic of the genre I think I really should read it.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Am I the only one here who has read The Virginian by Owen Wister?

Now, as a man who likes to smile when he says things – I do declare I haven't read said book, but will be perusing the library for it in the not too distant future. Any other classic western texts I should be looking out for? :)

I read / skimmed Harry's dialogue above.

That is universally accepted as the favoured way to read anything I write, Puma. :)

I'm going to throw out a totally different idea on the demise of the American western - women's lib. Think about it - in the early days of television there were many westerns - it was a man's world. Women's lib came along and suddenly there was a glut of shows featuring the fairer sex in various roles. Don't discount the roles women's liberation and the equal rights movement have had on the shape and scope of literature and film. Puma

Super interesting point. :)

I think you are, to a certain extent, spot on here. When you consider the western genre, -- certainly the film genre -- what great roles are there for women and, therefore, where does a western fit into a feminists film collection?

With regard to ‘great roles’, a fellow in possession of a penis such as myself might – in that terrible male way – say, Annie Oakley, maybe. The occasional and easily maligned The Quick and the Dead, perhaps? Mary Rowlandson and some other real actors, could be?

If my lack of examples shows anything more than my phallus, I would suggest that there is a dearth of possibility for the female actor – in all senses of the word -- in both the west and the western genre.

In response to this, the first questions we should, perhaps, ask are:

What, if any, are the great roles and types for women in the western genre? As well as, in the 'real' west, what in the hell were all the women doing, and why weren’t they noticed -- or were they?

(I am aware a more primary question would be – what makes a great female role and should such a role even be gendered? But I am trying to get to bed at some point tonight.)

Secondary questions follow and are, in this case, genre specific:

Do westerns limit female action? Are they reductive to the questionable Shakespearian concept of 'mother/wife/whore'? If this is the case, is it so because of the time period and geography of the classic western? Furthermore, do revisionist, modern, apocalyptic and interstitial westerns give greater scope for female ‘equality’?

A tertiary question would, in my booze addled mind, certainly involve the western genre in relation to a post-feminist society.

Is the western -- with all its stereotypical ‘where men are men’ genre tropes -- likely to face a resurgence because of the wilting (yes, a debatable topic) of the feminist ideal? Moreover, can the genre appeal to the pre-feminist, feminist and post feminist all at the same time?

Be interesting to hear some thoughts on this and I’ll be damned if a prompt doesn’t come out of it – women’s fic tie in, perhaps?

I am just about through with Valdez is Coming. I see what you mean Harry!

Glad you liked it, DH. :)

I just finished The Maltese Falcon, myself. Was rather good, and so modern for the time period -- or should that read -- created the modern style and we’ve not moved on since?

I was fascinated by the opening descriptions of Spade. All those V’s were a bold tactic, it almost read super literary and I wondered what in the hell the publisher thought when they first saw it – and then .. and then! We are given the hero as Satan!

Sure, this worked well in the ‘what kind of a man and what kind of a world does this man inhabit’ vibe, and also perfectly in tweaking the reader (and those characters in the book) to wonder about the moral motivations of the man and also to question ourselves too ...

Deep breath ...

But still! -- no matter how tongue in cheek or well worked or hard boiled or important to the plot in a trickster type way or as a comment on the nature of the adult, knowing, cynical, human condition -- I repeat, but still we are given the hero as Satan on the very first page!

Well, goddamit, that is something and my hat is tipped to Mr Hammett.

With regards to Chandler's essay, the way the book took a new form in the face of the old styles of detective fiction was clear.

For me, The Falcon was all about the lies of the dishonest and, paradoxically, the honest. The book, as detective fiction, then became -- as Chandler infers -- less about the dropped clue and more about (like life) the importance of reading character (and trusting and distrusting in character when big things are at stake).

Whilst there is a search for clues, in the end the truth is brought out, again paradoxically, by deceit and judging (in Spades case the villains) and (in the case of the villains) misjudging or being fooled by character.

The reader does the self same thing. Unless we trust Spade, what happens to our perspective on the crime and the guilt and the players involved.

Do we support our man Spade, a devil from the first, all the way through? In fact, do we even trust him at the last? Is his honesty, that can be bent (just like ours) in favour of a higher purpose (and therefore any purpose), honest?

Is his love real? Is he really Satan or is he just a man with a moral code and all the facts? Is the level of perception and understanding and ability to act -- what we call the devil?

Great book. :)

Stop drunk typing now. :)

And P.s

Anyone get the feeling that Grahame Green based Brighton Rock's Pinky on Wilmer and that Muriel Spark read The Maltese Falcon before writing the excellent Ballad of Peckham Rye?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see you picked up the gauntlet, Harry, booze addled though you are. (I'm also glad to see you see what I'm saying.)

My solution in my western - three main characters - two brothers and a sister. The sister is kidnapped from a Northern Pacific train and taken to a mining town to become a prostitute. Brothers, obviously, rescue her, but not before she's had an opportunity to show a lot of spunk and actually kill her captor. So, it's a very feminine role for the female initially, but also very much a survivor role.

In general, my impression is that women in westerns have been cast as dance hall girls, madames, school teachers, wives, and not a lot more. And your question is very right, Harry - what were women doing in the real west? Many of them were working right beside their husbands to carve a living out of the land - not very glamorous for either sex.

So, next question is whether the image that was portrayed of the men of the west in literature and film was accurate or was there too great a proportion of gunslingers and mule drivers and miners and ...

Then, how can women fit into the western image other than the few roles they've previously been given? J'Dubee's on to one possibility with his Mama. Mail order brides have shown up in some prior works (but more could be done with them). Daughters who've inherited the ranch after Pa died have shown up from time to time but could be placed in other situations (mines, etc.)

It really is an interesting question - what did women do in the classical west? Puma

ETA: The link below might give us some ideas.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-women.html

Last edited:

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
I've a WIP on a couple of my wife's relatives in southern Missouri beginning in 1860. A brother and sister from a well-to-do slave owing family from Kentucky, each is living a separate life, yet both associate with the same people. They are real and are mentioned in several history books, but they've been overshadowed by those same associations.

The sister's role is as big as the brother's, but alas, she's only a daughter, sister, wife, mother, divorcee, lover, adventuress, maybe -- a confederate soldier, lover (yes, I said that before), prostitute, single mother, and grandmother before her death at 41.
The brother was only a farm hand, bushwacker, confederate guerrilla. prisoner-of-war, union army conscript for nine days, union army deserter, confederate guerrilla, displaced person to Mexico - California - Oregon & Missouri, successful horse breeder in Texas, and short story author before his death at age 74.

Mighty interesting stories involved with those two.

It may take the rest of my life to write half of them...

But I'll give it a try.
:)

Last edited:

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
Western women

There was a saying that the West was good for men and cattle but hell on boys and horses. Women seem conspicuous by absence.

Most of my pioneering ancestors were fairly quiet quiet folk, the men might go off to a war or a political brouhaha. The women minded the home fires.

There is one exception, though to find her you have to go back to when the Western frontier ran all the way to the Atlantic. Anne Hutchinson managed to set the Bay Colony on its ear with her Bible-study class. She verbally bested the magistrates in her trial and ended up an exile in Rhode Island. She was eventually killed in an Indian war in New Netherlands (New York, the Bronx actually). Her daughter Susannah ended up a captive & was reluctant to leave the Indians (I'm descended from a different daughter, Bridget Hutchinson).

So maybe one role that was very important for women was being the voice of conscience, or even a trail-blazing reformer. It's also a reminder that the woman Indian captive goes back to the earliest frontier (Mrs. Rowlandson again!).

It's relevant too to Elmore Leonard. I just finished Hombre where the McLaren girl has exactly those roles. She's a former captive of the Apaches. She's also the one who speaks up for what's right (as opposed to what's expedient) when the men remain silent.

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
I've a WIP on a couple of my wife's relatives in southern Missouri beginning in 1860. A brother and sister from a well-to-do slave owing family from Kentucky, each is living a separate life, yet both associate with the same people. They are real and are mentioned in several history books, but they've been overshadowed by those same associations.

The sister's role is as big as the brother's, but alas, she's only a daughter, sister, wife, mother, divorcee, lover, adventuress, maybe -- a confederate soldier, lover (yes, I said that before), prostitute, single mother, and grandmother before her death at 41.
The brother was only a farm hand, bushwacker, confederate guerrilla. prisoner-of-war, union army conscript for nine days, union army deserter, confederate guerrilla, displaced person to Mexico - California - Oregon & Missouri, successful horse breeder in Texas, and short story author before his death at age 74.

Mighty interesting stories involved with those two.

It may take the rest of my life to write half of them...

But I'll give it a try.
:)

I have a gg-grandfather from the Arkansas Ozarks who was sort of the opposite. He was a Confederate draftee, & deserter who joined a Union cavalry force in Missouri to chase bushwhackers. Like a lot of Ozark folk he we was pro-Union & his father-in-law was part of the Peace Society. He ended up moving his family from Arkansas to Missouri, Texas, & Idaho, before settling in Colorado.

I think the Ozarks are a bit overlooked in their role as a cradle for Western legends. Paul Wellman sort of went that way in A Dynasty of Western Outlaws where he connected Quantrill, the James-Younger Gang, Belle Starr, the Daltons, Henry Starr, Al Spencer & Pretty Boy Floyd. I think you can do a lot with Ozark settings.

ElisabethF

Registered
Reaction score
There seem to be two or three discussions going on concurrently here. First thing I noticed was that you'd edited the thread title to reflect that. :)

And your question is very right, Harry - what were women doing in the real west? Many of them were working right beside their husbands to carve a living out of the land - not very glamorous for either sex.

I think that's true - and here's a suggestion. Do you think the bent of the 'popular' western in fiction, film, etc. toward action and adventure - the gunslinging (is that a word?), the outlaws, the range wars and so on, tends to obscure that? The everyday life and work, I mean? Maybe I'm getting close here to that split between the Western and Historical genres that bothered Louis L'Amour. I just finished reading his memoir Education of a Wandering Man, and he had a lot to say about history, the recording of it, and research. For instance, at one point he mentioned how Western life was a lot more social than most people realized, and that bears out what I've noticed in some books I read this past year - personal accounts by women and teenagers (both boys and girls.)

I agree with Puma about the feminist movement, but I think it goes deeper than just an expansion of film roles for women. Feminism was an assault on society as it had been in previous years; it was hostile to the traditional values and morals of the 19th century where our historical/western tales are set. I think modern authors, filmmakers, etc. tried to adapt a revisionist style, projecting modern and politically correct mindsets into period stories in order not to offend anyone, and that's probably gone a long way toward our losing sight of what really happened years ago.

Any other classic western texts I should be looking out for? :)

My suggestion would be Chip of the Flying U by B.M. Bower. She's one of my favorite Western authors. Chip was her first novel, released four years after The Virginian and I believe occasionally compared to it.