PDA

View Full Version : American/British common knowledge

bob88
11-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi people, could really use some help...

I'm not from an English speaking country (in fact I'm from Israel let me know if you drop by =) and need help with my WIP.

I'm writing this novel that has many references to themes from the Old Testament, and then it suddenly hit me that maybe readers from other countries won't be able to relate to that.

So the question is this, if you'll be kind enough to help an author-friend in need:
Which themes of the following are you familiar with? (And it would be so cool if you could state in which country you live, too)

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days
2. Adam and Eve
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible)
4. Noah's ark and the flood
5. Tower of Babel
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son
8. Jacob tricking Esau
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording not mine)
10. Joseph's tales

Plus if there are other wildly known stories from the book of Genesis I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks guys!

Ferret
11-05-2011, 03:33 AM
I live in the United States, and I'm very familar with 1 through 8. I think most Americans would be familar with 1 through 4, and maybe 6 and 7, although it really depends on the person's religion and upbringing.

scarletpeaches
11-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Yes to all of them. I live in Scotland.

waylander
11-05-2011, 03:35 AM
1 to 8

Sydneyd
11-05-2011, 03:37 AM
I live in America, Oregon to be specific. Grew up in a semi religious household.

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days Yes
2. Adam and Eve YES
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) Yes
4. Noah's ark and the flood YES
5. Tower of Babel Is this the one where the trumpets knocked it down? If it isn't then No.
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord Yes
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Yes
8. Jacob tricking Esau No.
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording – not mine) No.
10. Joseph's tales Was this the technicolor dreamcoat thing? If not, no.

Hope this helps :)

scarletpeaches
11-05-2011, 03:38 AM
The Tower of Babel was the prelude to peoples being scattered and the languages of the Earth being confused -- you're thinking of the Walls of Jericho.

scarletpeaches
11-05-2011, 03:39 AM
bob88 -- what about the Sons of God having relations with the daughters of men and breeding the Nephilim?

Sydneyd
11-05-2011, 03:42 AM
The Tower of Babel was the prelude to peoples being scattered and the languages of the Earth being confused -- you're thinking of the Walls of Jericho.

Ahh yes. That is it. I only remember the part in the song "And the walls came tumbling down."

thothguard51
11-05-2011, 03:47 AM
American/British common knowledge ...

That Italian men are better lovers and those of us over 60 are the best...

mccardey
11-05-2011, 03:49 AM
American/British common knowledge ...

That Italian men are better lovers and those of us over 60 are the best...

Why, Mr Berlusconi - is that really you? Is that really all you??

bob88
11-05-2011, 03:49 AM
bob88 -- what about the Sons of God having relations with the daughters of men and breeding the Nephilim?

Wow, you actually learn about THAT in school?

Even here, in our Bible-obsessed-society, we skim through that part...

bob88
11-05-2011, 03:52 AM
And btw thanks everybody! You're SO helping me out here, you have no idea!

more comments are of course welcomed =)

Karen Junker
11-05-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm familiar with 1-8. I went to a Presbyterian church until I was 17 and took bible study classes (must have missed a few). My husband was raised in a non-religious household and is not familiar with any except 1,2 and 4.

We are both from the US.

scarletpeaches
11-05-2011, 04:00 AM

Even here, in our Bible-obsessed-society, we skim through that part...No; we learn next to nothing at school (which I left nearly 20 years ago).

I'm 35 now, and have known about the Nephilim since my late teens, when I started studying the Bible in my own time.

Any Bible knowledge I have -- well, most of it anyway -- is privately-acquired, as a result of my own interest.

I'll admit that I'm probably a little more familiar with obscure Bible stories and texts because of this. Apologies if that sounds arrogant. I don't mean to come over all "I know more than anyone else, nyar nyar!" It's just, as a bookworm, I love reading. And religion, the Bible in particular, has always fascinated me. And it's not something I often get the chance to discuss with fellow writers. :)

ULTRAGOTHA
11-05-2011, 04:25 AM
I can't speak for Britain, but in the United States you can comfortably assume a fairly wide spread, if superficial, knowledge of the Old Testament. A lot of us pick up Bible stories by osmosis.

Many of us have a more than superficial knowledge of the Old Testament, of course. But even people who aren't very religious and don't go to church are going to have some basic knowledge. It's hard to escape here.

I grew up in Oregon in the US and had Bible stories and such from my Catholic mother and all the Confirmation and CCD classes she made me go to. Plus I've read Asimov's books on the Old Testament. So I'm more knowledgeable about it than the average bear.

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days Absolutely, it's the subject of much political rhetoric here.
2. Adam and Eve Absolutely.
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) Yes.
4. Noah's ark and the flood Absolutely.
5. Tower of Babel Not as well known as the others and, as you've seen, can get confused with the walls of Jericho.
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord This is also dragged into politics here.
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Not as well known as the others.
8. Jacob tricking Esau Really not as well known as the others.
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording not mine) Really not as well known as the others.
10. Joseph's tales Really not as well known as the others.

Snick
11-05-2011, 04:29 AM

I'm not from an English speaking country (in fact I'm from Israel let me know if you drop by =) and need help with my WIP.

I'm writing this novel that has many references to themes from the Old Testament, and then it suddenly hit me that maybe readers from other countries won't be able to relate to that.

So the question is this, if you'll be kind enough to help an author-friend in need:
Which themes of the following are you familiar with? (And it would be so cool if you could state in which country you live, too)

2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

Plus if there are other wildly known stories from the book of Genesis I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks guys!

All of those are well known to Christians, and some of those are in general knowledge. If you want to claim that an American or a Brit knew any or all, then you would be justified.

Alessandra Kelley
11-05-2011, 04:56 AM
I knew about the Tower of Babel because I've been a huge fan of MC Escher since before I could read. The other stuff I know about even though I was raised with no religion by lapsed Quaker vaguely New Age hippies. Really, Bible knowledge permeates US culture.

DeleyanLee
11-05-2011, 05:03 AM
2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

I'm in the US, not a Christian, and am familiar with 1-7 with ease, vaguely remember something about 8 & 9 and familiar with 10 if you mean his life story.

Good luck with whatever you're doing.

Lehcarjt
11-05-2011, 05:40 AM
U.S.

Familiar with 1 - 9 easily

I'm not sure what you mean by Joseph's tales. I do know the story of Joseph. The 'Coat of Many Colors' part would be commonly known too - there's even a song about it. (By Joseph's tales do you mean his interpretation of Pharoh's dreams? I can't think of any other 'tales.) I've taught Old Testament to youth and adults (at different times). I'd bet most Americans are comfortable with 1 - 7 and possibly 8.

PorterStarrByrd
11-05-2011, 05:55 AM
US

obviously all of them as my fellow citizens say

don't forget the garden of eden and goins on there

Sampson and Delilah were always a bit hit

Solomon's solution to the two mommies fighting over the baby

David and Goliath

The coat of many colors

all of those are common bible school matter.
I'm sure I've missed others

Parametric
11-05-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm good up to 7.

Siri Kirpal
11-05-2011, 07:21 AM

2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

Thanks guys!

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm familiar with 1-8 from childhood. Wasn't raised in a religious household, but we were raised with high culture art, music and literature. All of which contain at least some of those stories.

I learned #9 later on in the course of spiritual awakening.

I live in Eugene OR USA, raised in San Diego.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lillie
11-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I know them all.
I assume by the last one you mean Joseph's interpretation of dreams. Fat cows, skinny cows and all that.

Other things in Genesis. Esau selling his birthright.

Jacob getting tricked by Laban into marrying two of his daughters instead of one.

That thing where Rachel and Leah get into a pissing contest over who can have the most babies. (personally and by proxy).

Edit. FYI

I'm old. I was brought up with this stuff.
My son is in his 20s and he wouldn't know any of these, maybe not even Adam and Eve, because I made sure he wasn't brought up like me.

lastlittlebird
11-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I've got a pretty good knowledge of the old testament, because, like Scarlet, I read the bible out of interest when I was a kid.
So I'm familiar with all of the above. And I'm from New Zealand/the USA.
But I don't think you have to worry about even the more obscure bits. I find I see them referenced over and over in books.

For example, Many Waters, by Madeleine L'Engle builds quite a storyline using that almost throw-away section (it's something like two sentences isn't it?) of Genesis about giants and the Nephilim having their way with the ladies.

MaryMumsy
11-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I think all would be fairly widely known in the US. I'm in my sixties, wasn't raised in a religious household, and picked up all those and others mentioned above by osmosis. References in books, attending assorted services (Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, snake-handling Baptist) with school friends.

MM

frimble3
11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm a fifty-year old Canadian, raised in a non-religious home, and certainly didn't hear this stuff in school.
A friend of my mother's had this big set of Bible stories for children. So, I know your 1-10 as stories.
As well, Lillie's list, the story of Moses (chiefly based on the '10 Commandments' movies), Ruth and Naomi (don't know if those are Genesis, I may be expanding beyond your parameters.)
Jacob wrestling with the Lord is from the same story as 'Jacob and the Ladder Full of Angels', isn't it?- that one I know from 'Jacob's Ladder', an old-fashioned children's toy.
Never heard of the Nephilim until coming across them in a fantasy book a few years ago.

Lil
11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I would expect all of them to be familiar to anyone reasonably literate. Quite apart from being taught in Sunday School, they all turn up frequently in literary references.

Kitti
11-05-2011, 08:40 PM
In the U.S. and I'm familiar with all but #9 (mostly b/c I'm not quite sure what you're trying to refer to there).

As a reference point, completely aside from religious instruction and my addiction to music & musicals (The Unicorn Song (http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/The_Unicorn_Song.shtml)! and Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat), I had to read Genesis & Exodus for AP English, and I know we did some other stuff on the Bible in 10th grade history (Jacob & Joseph).

Buffysquirrel
11-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm in the UK. Not sure what Joseph's tales are or the Jacob wrestling with the Lord bit, but all the rest is familiar. Jacob and Esau makes me think of the mess of pottage. Had no idea what that was for years.

I went to a church primary school, so I had no chance of avoiding this stuff, lol.

Siri Kirpal
11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Other well-known Bible stories:

Moses & Pharoah (you can find a take-off on this one in the Mainstream/Contemporary SYW section titled "Joe Goes Biblical")
Daniel in the Lion's Den
The Hebrew Children in the Firey Furnace (that's a direct quote from a popular African-American spiritual)
Susanna and the Elders (yes, I know, it's apocryphal)
Solomon & the Queen of Sheba

There's also a video series call "Veggie Tales" that does children's versions of Bible stories as told by vegetables. [Eg. Davy and the Big Pickle]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Karen Junker
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I'd just like to add that I took a Comparative Religion course at the graduate school level and was taught that the US is only 70% putatively Christian. Meaning that even the folks who don't attend church or Sunday school might think of themselves as Christian. But it's only 70%.

I've read the bible in both English and Spanish (more than once) -- and some of the stories you list simply did not have any staying power with my memory. While they may be referenced in literature, they may not be explained fully enough to make an impression or they may just not be interesting enough to me for me to have remembered them.

Like one of the previous posters, my children were raised to have little or no familiarity with any of the stories of the bible.

Maryn
11-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Bob, I'm in the US. You'll need to keep in mind that the US is still a nation of immigrants, many of us not using the Bible as our holy book. While in my childhood the public schools incorporated Bible stories into the curriculum, it's no longer allowed, so these stories are taught only in religious schools or at home. (And at churches and such.) We also have a large atheist population.

I was raised hearing some of these stories at school and at home, but as atheists we did not teach them to our children. I suspect you're going to find far more people of older generations know these stories than younger people unless the young people have Biblical education.

Yes for me, yes for our adult kids.
2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
Yes for me, no for our adult kids.
8. Jacob tricking Esau
No for me, no for our adult kids.
10. Joseph's tales

Maryn, happy heathen

jennontheisland
11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Canada, so half way between US and UK, ;) and absolutely no religion taught in public schools.

1 through 4, I have an idea of, and know they belong to Christian myth, could probably paraphrase the stories if I had to.
5 and 6 I know the words but not the stories.
7 and up I probably would have been able to figure out that they were somehow related to the bible, even if they weren't presented to me in this context, but have no clue what they are.

I grew up in a completely non-religious household and learned what little I know of this mythos from popular culture and friends who were indoctrinated as children.

melnve
11-06-2011, 02:13 AM
2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

I'm Australian and a committed heathen. Went to Sunday School as a kid and did a little RE in primary school. I am familiar with 1-7.

That said, I also would have no interest in reading a book that is tied up so much with any type of religion, so perhaps that is something to remember - the audience for a book with strong religious overtones would perhaps be more familiar with these stories than just the average person who is not religious?

girlyswot
11-06-2011, 02:33 AM
In the UK, people do often know the story of Joseph even if they don't realise it, because of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.

Buffysquirrel
11-06-2011, 03:12 AM
I know the story of Joseph and his brothers, but wasn't sure if that were what was meant by Joseph's tales. We did Technicolour Dreamcoat in Music in secondary school.

LJD
11-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Canada.
I am familiar with 1-5
the others I know of vaguely.

My parents were non-religious and the area I grew up in was Jewish. I am in my twenties. You wouldn't hear of this stuff in public school at all here. Not anymore.

Lillie
11-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Been thinking about this.

There is also the whole Abraham/Sara thing. Where she can't have kids so he knocks up the servant, Hagar.
And loads of stuff happens where Hagar gets kicked out and took back.
And then an angel comes to visit and says Sara can have a kid after all, even though she is 90. And she does.

Also there is the story of Lot and his dirty daughters 'preserving their father's seed'. That's kind of memorable for all the wrong reasons.
But after their father tried to give them to the mob in Sodom to save his own skin, it's no wonder they ended up going a bit crazy and getting their dad drunk in order to seduce him and have babies.

The bible is full of weird stuff. And there's a lot of it that's not taught in Sunday School.

Zelenka
11-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Brought up in Scotland, now living in the Czech Republic. I'm really familiar with all but number 8.

We did actually get taught a lot of it in our school, though it wasn't a religious / denominational school. The local minister visited a couple of times a month and told us a lot of these stories in Primary, and we had a basic few classes of religious education in the first two years of secondary.

skylark
11-06-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm familiar with all of them.

In the UK, I'd guess that most people would be vaguely familiar with 1-5 and would struggle with the rest. I'm a bit surprised at the confusion about the Tower of Babel, given Babelfish's connection with languages...

Other Old Testament stories people would "just know" about? David and Goliath for sure, Samson and Delilah probably.

Over here, everyone learns about religions (lots of different ones) in schools, and it's mostly done by means of religious stories. So my son could tell you about Noah's Ark...and also about Shiva, and Ganesh, and since RE wasn't like that when I was in school I can't remember any of the others he's mentioned :)

bob88
11-07-2011, 12:34 AM
You people are AMAZING!

In the words of the legendary Jay-Z:
"Thank you, thank you, thank you, you're far too kind!"

So thanks everyone. You really helped me out here.

shawkins
11-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Southern U.S. here. Religious upbringing, haven't voluntarily attended services since I turned 18.

1-7 yes, 8-10 no.

shaldna
11-07-2011, 02:57 PM

2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording – not mine)
10. Joseph's tales

!

In Ireland and the UK we are taught Religious Education at school, and so most people would have been taught all of the above, many at primary school level. My daughter is five and they are doing the Flood at the minute, and I remember our school play when we were 10 was Joseph.

I remember doing a lot about Moses as well, at that age we thought the plauges were cool - you know what kids are like.

We didn't do Jacob or Sodom and Gomora until we were in secondary school though.

MoLoLu
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I live in switzerland but my parents are from the states so I got a bit of both cultures.

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days Yes
2. Adam and Eve Yes
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) Yes
4. Noah's ark and the flood Yes
5. Tower of Babel No
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord No
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Can't remmber story but came up in bible class at one point
8. Jacob tricking Esau No
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording not mine) No
10. Joseph's tales No

Thanks guys!

We had bible classes here and I went to church on holidays until I was 10 or so. Since then I've not had anything but cursory involvement with biblical themes.

lacygnette
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
U.S. and yes to all of them from Sunday school. How could I forget the sacrifice? I remember the picture - very graphic and gory. As a previous poster said, you know what kids are like. Also in Joseph's tales - wasn't he left in a well or hole and someone had to haul him out and save him? I suspect I've gotten that a bit mixed up. Jacob tricking Esau - do you mean with the goat skin so that he would appear as hairy as Esau? That one stuck with me too. The Tower from which all our many languages stem. Nice to be reminded about these as stories. I no longer have (perhaps never did) hold religious reference to them but think they are interesting tales.

L M Ashton
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm a Canadian living in Sri Lanka, Christian. Familiar with all of the above.

The husband, a Sri Lankan, is Muslim and is also familiar with all of the above. Probably the entire rest of his family is, too.

L.C. Blackwell
11-08-2011, 08:03 AM
From the US: thoroughly familiar with everything you've mentioned.

DrZoidberg
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I know you didn't ask about other countries but I'm from heathen Sweden. I know 1-7 well. I have never heard of the rest. I'm atheist. Raised as such and have always been.

I think it's great that you're asking these kinds of questions. I do suspect that having a Biblical theme means that people with religious interest will primarily pick up your book. If you make it too accessible your core audience might think you're talking down to them? Just a thought.

JinxVelox
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm an American and was reared in a non-Christian home. Despite that, I learned bits and pieces of 1-4 throughout my life (some by accident, some by reading more out of curiosity). The rest - I'm drawing a blank.

Overall most Americans would be familiar with most of that list, since the majority of Americans tend to be Christian.

Purple Rose
11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Yes to all. I think most Christians (Catholic and Protestant) would be familiar with all. I taught Sunday school in a Presbyterian church for nearly ten years. Our lesson plans and materials were from the US and I believe almost all Methodist and Presbyterian churches used the same materials. All those stories were covered at some point during the year.

seun
11-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Brit with absolutely no religious background or belief - familiar with more or less all the points/stories mentioned. Joseph's tales and Jacob wrestling are vague for me. Heard them referenced, but couldn't tell you anything about them.

defyalllogic
11-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Familiar will all but 8, 9 , and 10, which I've never heard of. I'm from America. (went to catholic school for 6th and 7th grade)

Julie Reilly
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Bear in mind that I was brought up C of E and went to church regularly, sang in a church choir and was a complete happy clappy Christian until I went atheist in my 20s, so I might be not be typical. But . . .

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days - YES
2. Adam and Eve - YES
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) - YES
4. Noah's ark and the flood - YES
5. Tower of Babel - YES
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord - YES
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son - YES

These last three ring very vague bells, but I wouldn't say I'm particularly familiar with them.
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

I'm in the UK.

Julie Reilly
11-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Even here, in our Bible-obsessed-society, we skim through that part...

I like that part - but I never learned about it in school! The book of Enoch makes for an interesting read also, but if you believe the Catholics, I'm damned to hell for all eternity just for reading it.

jaksen
11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't belong to any church but am familiar with all of them. I went to 'Sunday school' from ages 4 to 14, Protestant church, Congregationalist.

I have found that my knowledge of the Bible is better than that of my husband, who's Catholic and went to CCD until he was about 15.

My daughters have been raised with no religious background and the only one that stumped them was the one about Jacob and Esau.

From liberal old Massachusetts.