American/British common knowledge

bob88

Not writing as much as he should be
Registered
Reaction score
Hi people, could really use some help...

I'm not from an English speaking country (in fact I'm from Israel – let me know if you drop by =) and need help with my WIP.

I'm writing this novel that has many references to themes from the Old Testament, and then it suddenly hit me that maybe readers from other countries won't be able to relate to that.

So the question is this, if you'll be kind enough to help an author-friend in need:
Which themes of the following are you familiar with? (And it would be so cool if you could state in which country you live, too)

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days
2. Adam and Eve
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible)
4. Noah's ark and the flood
5. Tower of Babel
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son
8. Jacob tricking Esau
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording – not mine)
10. Joseph's tales

Plus if there are other wildly known stories from the book of Genesis I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks guys!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the United States, and I'm very familar with 1 through 8. I think most Americans would be familar with 1 through 4, and maybe 6 and 7, although it really depends on the person's religion and upbringing.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in America, Oregon to be specific. Grew up in a semi religious household.

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days Yes
2. Adam and Eve YES
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) Yes
4. Noah's ark and the flood YES
5. Tower of Babel Is this the one where the trumpets knocked it down? If it isn't then No.
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord Yes
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Yes
8. Jacob tricking Esau No.
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording – not mine) No.
10. Joseph's tales Was this the technicolor dreamcoat thing? If not, no.

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
The Tower of Babel was the prelude to peoples being scattered and the languages of the Earth being confused -- you're thinking of the Walls of Jericho.

Reaction score
bob88 -- what about the Sons of God having relations with the daughters of men and breeding the Nephilim?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Tower of Babel was the prelude to peoples being scattered and the languages of the Earth being confused -- you're thinking of the Walls of Jericho.

Ahh yes. That is it. I only remember the part in the song "And the walls came tumbling down."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
American/British common knowledge ...

That Italian men are better lovers and those of us over 60 are the best...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
American/British common knowledge ...

That Italian men are better lovers and those of us over 60 are the best...

Why, Mr Berlusconi - is that really you? Is that really all you??

bob88

Registered
Reaction score
bob88 -- what about the Sons of God having relations with the daughters of men and breeding the Nephilim?

Wow, you actually learn about THAT in school?

Even here, in our Bible-obsessed-society, we skim through that part...

bob88

Registered
Reaction score
And btw thanks everybody! You're SO helping me out here, you have no idea!

more comments are of course welcomed =)

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I'm familiar with 1-8. I went to a Presbyterian church until I was 17 and took bible study classes (must have missed a few). My husband was raised in a non-religious household and is not familiar with any except 1,2 and 4.

We are both from the US.

Reaction score
Wow, you actually learn about THAT in school?

Even here, in our Bible-obsessed-society, we skim through that part...
No; we learn next to nothing at school (which I left nearly 20 years ago).

I'm 35 now, and have known about the Nephilim since my late teens, when I started studying the Bible in my own time.

Any Bible knowledge I have -- well, most of it anyway -- is privately-acquired, as a result of my own interest.

I'll admit that I'm probably a little more familiar with obscure Bible stories and texts because of this. Apologies if that sounds arrogant. I don't mean to come over all "I know more than anyone else, nyar nyar!" It's just, as a bookworm, I love reading. And religion, the Bible in particular, has always fascinated me. And it's not something I often get the chance to discuss with fellow writers. :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for Britain, but in the United States you can comfortably assume a fairly wide spread, if superficial, knowledge of the Old Testament. A lot of us pick up Bible stories by osmosis.

Many of us have a more than superficial knowledge of the Old Testament, of course. But even people who aren't very religious and don't go to church are going to have some basic knowledge. It's hard to escape here.

I grew up in Oregon in the US and had Bible stories and such from my Catholic mother and all the Confirmation and CCD classes she made me go to. Plus I've read Asimov's books on the Old Testament. So I'm more knowledgeable about it than the average bear.

1. Creation of Earth in 7 days Absolutely, it's the subject of much political rhetoric here.
2. Adam and Eve Absolutely.
3. Cain and Abel (first murder in the Bible) Yes.
4. Noah's ark and the flood Absolutely.
5. Tower of Babel Not as well known as the others and, as you've seen, can get confused with the walls of Jericho.
6. The destruction of Sodom by the hand of the Lord This is also dragged into politics here.
7. The Lord asking Abraham to sacrifice his son Not as well known as the others.
8. Jacob tricking Esau Really not as well known as the others.
9. Jacob's wrestling with the Lord (that's the Bible's wording – not mine) Really not as well known as the others.
10. Joseph's tales Really not as well known as the others.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

I'm not from an English speaking country (in fact I'm from Israel – let me know if you drop by =) and need help with my WIP.

I'm writing this novel that has many references to themes from the Old Testament, and then it suddenly hit me that maybe readers from other countries won't be able to relate to that.

So the question is this, if you'll be kind enough to help an author-friend in need:
Which themes of the following are you familiar with? (And it would be so cool if you could state in which country you live, too)

2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

Plus if there are other wildly known stories from the book of Genesis I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks guys!

All of those are well known to Christians, and some of those are in general knowledge. If you want to claim that an American or a Brit knew any or all, then you would be justified.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I knew about the Tower of Babel because I've been a huge fan of MC Escher since before I could read. The other stuff I know about even though I was raised with no religion by lapsed Quaker vaguely New Age hippies. Really, Bible knowledge permeates US culture.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

I'm in the US, not a Christian, and am familiar with 1-7 with ease, vaguely remember something about 8 & 9 and familiar with 10 if you mean his life story.

Good luck with whatever you're doing.

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
U.S.

Familiar with 1 - 9 easily

I'm not sure what you mean by Joseph's tales. I do know the story of Joseph. The 'Coat of Many Colors' part would be commonly known too - there's even a song about it. (By Joseph's tales do you mean his interpretation of Pharoh's dreams? I can't think of any other 'tales.) I've taught Old Testament to youth and adults (at different times). I'd bet most Americans are comfortable with 1 - 7 and possibly 8.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
US

obviously all of them as my fellow citizens say

don't forget the garden of eden and goins on there

Sampson and Delilah were always a bit hit

Solomon's solution to the two mommies fighting over the baby

David and Goliath

The coat of many colors

all of those are common bible school matter.
I'm sure I've missed others

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

2. Adam and Eve
5. Tower of Babel
8. Jacob tricking Esau
10. Joseph's tales

Thanks guys!

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm familiar with 1-8 from childhood. Wasn't raised in a religious household, but we were raised with high culture art, music and literature. All of which contain at least some of those stories.

I learned #9 later on in the course of spiritual awakening.

I live in Eugene OR USA, raised in San Diego.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know them all.
I assume by the last one you mean Joseph's interpretation of dreams. Fat cows, skinny cows and all that.

Other things in Genesis. Esau selling his birthright.

Jacob getting tricked by Laban into marrying two of his daughters instead of one.

That thing where Rachel and Leah get into a pissing contest over who can have the most babies. (personally and by proxy).

Edit. FYI

I'm old. I was brought up with this stuff.
My son is in his 20s and he wouldn't know any of these, maybe not even Adam and Eve, because I made sure he wasn't brought up like me.

Last edited:

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I've got a pretty good knowledge of the old testament, because, like Scarlet, I read the bible out of interest when I was a kid.
So I'm familiar with all of the above. And I'm from New Zealand/the USA.
But I don't think you have to worry about even the more obscure bits. I find I see them referenced over and over in books.

For example, Many Waters, by Madeleine L'Engle builds quite a storyline using that almost throw-away section (it's something like two sentences isn't it?) of Genesis about giants and the Nephilim having their way with the ladies.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think all would be fairly widely known in the US. I'm in my sixties, wasn't raised in a religious household, and picked up all those and others mentioned above by osmosis. References in books, attending assorted services (Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, snake-handling Baptist) with school friends.

MM