Should I put a hold on submitting?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out 13 queries over the past two weeks. I've rec'd five resposes so far. Three were form rejections, one was a request for the full based on synopsis and 2 sample chapts. The second request was from a query that garnered me a request for 50 pages and two days later she asked for the full.

Should I keep submitting, or wait a couple of weeks and see what happens? I would sign with either agent as they are top tier and rep both my genres (romance and mystery).

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I would probably wait a short period of time to see if you get responses to any of the remaining 8. Since you've gotten full requests, your query is probably good, but I'd still wait a short period. Maybe another week? Then send out another 5-10 and begin the waiting again.

I wouldn't wait to hear back on the fulls, because that could take a while. But I also wouldn't flood the market too quickly either, just in case you get feedback on something that you think is legit.

Congrats on the requests!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Keep submitting. You are under no obligation. If you wait, you just give me more time to beat you to the punch... wink-wink

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably wait a short period of time to see if you get responses to any of the remaining 8. Since you've gotten full requests, your query is probably good, but I'd still wait a short period. Maybe another week? Then send out another 5-10 and begin the waiting again.

I wouldn't wait to hear back on the fulls, because that could take a while. But I also wouldn't flood the market too quickly either, just in case you get feedback on something that you think is legit.

Congrats on the requests!

Thank you. Yes! This is what I was thinking. I won't wait on the fulls, but it hasn't been that long since I sent out the queries, some as recently as a few days ago, and I'd like to see what if any feedback I could gleam; could make submitting in the future more effective. An agent I queried on Monday has one of the fulls. I sent it to him today. <fingers crossed>

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
If you wait, you just give me more time to beat you to the punch... wink-wink

Oh no! You don't write mystery do you? <g>

I like your title, Lolita's Redemption. It's an attention grabber. But then, I read Lolita when I was 14. Left quite the impression on me. <gasp>

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Keep submitting. If the agents reading your ms reject it, they won't necessarily give you feedback. They might say "Thanks for the chance to read this but it doesn't suit my needs at this time."

Also, you can use an offer of rep from one agent to get another agent to finish reading your ms. Example: I queried a superagent I really wanted, they requested my ms, I sent, I kept querying for MONTHS and got another offer of rep, I told the superagent I had another offer, and lo! the superagent called me the next day and offered me rep.

Oh yeah, my sig line. Well, I blame my project, not my agent.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
To my way of thinking, there are only three reasons to stop submitting:

1. Your query isn't doing so hot, and you need to tweak it before sending out the next batch. (This doesn't apply to your situation.)

2. You've decided to honor an agent's request for an exclusive. (This doesn't apply to your situation, either.)

3. An agent near the top of your list of Dream Agents has asked for the full, and you want to wait for that agent's response before querying more. (This is a form of optimism that should be used with extreme caution. Plus, this doesn't apply to your situation.)

So, yeah, keep submitting.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
You're on a roll. Why stop? Keep subbing