Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is something I have got a lot in different ways about my WIP. Even when is set in a world with airships, wristwatch communicators, a nation that uses toilet paper as currency, a culture who follows a religion that makes all its members to wear a mask all the time and so on...

...yet, my stories set in this world deal with presidential elections, office clerks dealing with depression and in general, social issues rather than grand adventures or life and death situations. So people ask me why do I bother with the fantastic elements at all.

What do you think? Is there no problem being mundane with SFF or one should, well, be fantastic when writing fantastic literature?

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I think as long as your plots include SF/F stuff that makes them in some way different than the same plot set in the real world, anything can pass. At least that's my opinion.

But what do I know? I'm just a window cleaner....

Last edited:

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I can't remember where I read it, but someone in the field once defined SF like this: If you remove the science (or spec element) and the story doesn't fall apparent, then you're not writing science fiction.

If your stories deal with "mundane" issues but are utilizing the world/science/etc you've included, then you're probably good.

If you take out all that and the story still stays fundamentally unchanged, then I'd have to agree: Why try to make it sci-fi if you aren't utilizing those elements in the story? When I read spec-fic I expect the story and characters to be heavily entwined with the proposed fantastical in some way.

Last edited:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
The only question I would have is: Do the issues your characters deal with and around which the story revolves tie into the fantastic elements of your world? As long as that's the case, I don't think you have a problem. Science fiction and fantasy doesn't have to be action and adventure, and can certainly encompass social issues. A lot of the stories published in these genres are about social issues. They're about how these fantastical changes would impact their societies, or they're using certain features as metaphors and really commenting on our world, etc. The only problem would be if you're using the fantasy elements purely as window dressing and they have no impact on your character's lives or problems. If that's not the case, don't worry about it.

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
Science fiction and fantasy doesn't have to be action and adventure

YES, this. SFF takes all kinds of forms. The idea that SFF must contain a world-wide war or a travel quest is simply false.

There are plenty of fantasy stories that make good use of the fantasy element, but have a more socio-political plotline. The Alchemy of Stone, Dawn, and Bone Dance: A Fantasy for Technophiles are just a few examples that immediately come to mind.

It's called "science fiction" but there are social sciences as well as physical sciences. Social science fiction is hands-down my favorite form the SF/F genre. I know many writers, published and unpublished, who enjoy SF specifically because it allows them to write alternate societies that holds up a mirror to our own. This teaches readers to think outside the box and question our own way of doing things.

There is incredible power for SFF to create a new history and speculate on a new society. Most other genres will restrict you to modern life and real-life history, which means authors are limited to rehashing the historical status quo over and over instead of brainstorming solutions (or at least alernatives.)

Many fantasy enthusiasts complain about fantasy races and tropes as being "overdone", but I think the worst offense is to take a fantastical world and make it a copy of our own western culture. Why so many monarchies instead of meritocracies? Why so many patriarchies instead of gender egalitarian societies? SF/F puts a limitless universe of peoples, worlds, and societies at our fingertips, but too many fantasy authors retread the same pseudo-Midieval grounds and SF authors mimic the social values of 2011 without thinking how different they'll be in another 500 years (You think 99% of astronauts will all be white men in the future? Really?)

Be a pioneer--make it social, make it political! Keep it on the small scale with characters we care about instead of copying the wars of warmed-over Tolkien rip-offs. You're in good company of hundreds of other SF/F writers who care about the same things you do, and use spec fic elements to illustrate their themes and ideas.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Passage or Bellwether by Connie Willis? It's hard to get more "mundane" than those books and they are definitely Science Fiction.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Its SF and the mundane does not bother me so long as there is a conflict that ties all the stuff together and which must be resolved.

Otherwise, if I am just reading someones diary of their daily life, SF or no SF, I am moving on...

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
The presidential elections, depression, and social issues exist in the context of your fantastic world, right? Many others have already said that makes it completely legitimate SFF and you're in good company.

Some would say that the ability to address normal issues from a fantastic viewpoint is one of fantasy's strengths. You can talk about politics without bringing up specific parties or nations, dealing with the issue in abstract without distracting secondary issues. You can explore depression from an angle that we don't see in the real world. If toilet paper plays a major role along the way, that's just gravy.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thank you, folks. You really know how to rise one's morale. :)

Yes, I mostly use it a SFF world to manage hypothetical and, in my opinion, interesting cases and commentaries and situations. It manages one takes pieces of our world, mix them up, understand them, subvert or recreate them or whatnot.

Take the example of the Colonial Question, the dominant culture, which my MC is a member of, invaded an island continent while struggling with a rival nation, attempted to set a colonial government after winning the war, grant them independence to appease them over but put a puppet government who ended up ousted by the legitimate king turned rebel leader and now they cannot leave them alone since they might attack in any moment but cannot attack first since it will look as bullying by other nations. I guess similar scenarios have been seen around the world with many nations and cultures, but I don't want to have India and the UK and get angry letters from two nations in two continents, I want to have my personal take on it, with cultures that are neither Hindu nor British.

At the same time. I still feel that it could be seen a bit of "window dressing": lots of introspection about what means to, for example, hitting a brick wall in life and being afraid to be happy. But as pointed out before, it helps to be universal while writing: you don't talk about a black female colonel who is a higher up in the Republican Party of NYC and have people saying is unrealistic but have a black female colonel who is a higher up of the Conservative Reform Movement of Alphaville and they have no argument. There are universal themes and interesting ways to talk about them...

AlienGirl

Banned
Reaction score
I guess it kind of puzzles me why you came up with the new tech at all if it doesn't matter to the story. I can know lots of things about my world that I don't mention in the book, but if I mention something unique and interesting in the book, generally it's going to matter to the story. If the science isn't crucial, it's not science fiction. But social science is also science, including political science. Whether what you write about is going to be interesting to the "typical" science fiction audience is one thing. But I don't think not focusing on the technology disqualifies it from the genre. It's called science fiction, not tech fiction.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
If you're worried about the book not going over well with a sci-fi readership, then I suggest you change the sci-fi to supernatural and write it as literary fiction -- you'll have magical realism, which is a very popular genre among Latin American readers as well as Latin America's best writers like Allende, Marquez, and Lorca, and has a strong following outside the Hispanic world, too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
But then again, the tech is not the basis of the story here, it's just a complement.

Take for example, Dune. While reading it, I used to tell it to my grandfather omiting the most supernatural elements, it's still a pretty solid story of how the son of a space Duke goes to the space Sahara desert, becomes a friend of the space Beduins and becomes space Lawrence of Arabia, and reconquers the space oil industry from space Exxon Mobile.

It helps to tell a very compelling story, but is not the focus of said story. It's the humanity (or their species equivalent) and interactions and evolution of the characters that matter us the most.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Spot on. I agree. Nice to cite Dune, too. I've read it numerous times and think it's a great example to use here.

Last edited:

seeker_nomad

total newbie
Registered
Reaction score
SFF is still stories about the human experience. I think that we use the extended metaphors that SFF allows us in order to tell a broader pallet of stories which are still, at their essence, about our own selves.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
One way to think of it is how individuals (not necessarily humans) interact with circumstances different from those in our current reality.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think your ideas sound totally interesting!

I always suspected the warning about "if you can take the science out then it's not really..." yadda yadda, was aimed at people who write "space on a stick" stories. That is, it's a regular stagecoach robbery story, but it's on a spaceship, with a space driver driving the space horses while a space wrangler protects the space treasure from the space pirates before they go to the space saloon and drink some space whiskey.

That is, the science fiction has nothing to do with the story.

Unfortunately, I think that "rule" gets applied even when there's something deeper going on.

It sounds like you're using strange environments to explore things people think of as common in new and illuminating ways, kind of like Terry Pratchett uses the Discworld. I think it sounds great.

BTW: I swiped "space on a stick" from steampunk guru Thomas Willeford, who said putting a gear on a stick doesn't make it a steampunk stick.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thank you all. :) Especially Kelley for comparing it to Pratchett, I think it's pretty spot on... and perhaps a carry over since the first books I read in English were Discworld books.

Status
Not open for further replies.