10 Queries in 10 Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Agent Sara Megibow (Nelson Agency) did an interesting Twitter "experiment". She took a string of 10 queries from her inbox (minus identifying details) and Tweeted whether she'd accept or not, and why. Here were the results:

#1 - pass. The author explains why s/he wrote the book and it's inspiration, but never tells me what the book is about. #10queriesIn10tweets
#2 - pass. The author's query reads something like "please go to this weblink to read a sample" and nothing else. #10queriesIn10tweets
#3 - pass. Good, unique concept. But, writing is weak - too many rhetorical questions and character descriptions. #10queriesIn10tweets
#4 - OH! really unique fantasy. A few spotty moments in the pitch, but overall writing/story really grabs me. ACCEPT! #10queriesIn10tweets
#5 - pass. Runon sentence in the opening paragraph and poor grammer throughout. #10queriesIn10tweets
#6 - pass. Darn, a decent concept but the query is (literally) a listing of plot points. No narrative. #10queriesIn10tweets
#7 - pass. Oodles of mistakes. Poor grammar, 3 paragraphs of "why I wrote this book" and "pages pasted below to read." #10queriesIn10tweets
#8 - pass. Ouch. Counted 15 spelling errors in paragraph one, poor grammar, pitch is buried in description of the plot. #10queriesIn10tweets
#9 - pass. Not one correctly formed sentence in entire first paragraph (sorry if I sound snippy -am trying to be nice) #10queriesIn10tweets
#10 - pass. SOOO badly wish I could quote, but I won't. 4 misspelled words and 3 sentence fragments in first paragraph. #10queriesIn10tweets

So there you have it, a real-time example of the "stats" that get tossed around (90% is an easy rejection due to errors, etc.) It also goes with the idea that "the writing is key" rather than a unique concept is all you need. Even the ones that sounded interesting got a no due to grammar issues/weak writing.

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! This is just what I've always wanted--the opportunity to be a "fly on the wall" while an agent is reading queries.
Is it wrong that I'm happy that many of the queries are so flawed?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to pass on Tweet #5 because she misspelled "grammar." Wait! Tweet #1 contains my pet error: "it's" used instead of "its!" Double pass! ;)

I'll accept Tweet #4 because it shows what it really takes to get a "More, please": No egregious errors, and the story GRABS the agent.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So what is the point of that? Since its anonymous it doesn't help the person who sent it and since she doesn't quote material it really doesn't help anyone else to avoid those mistakes. Just seems unnecessarily snarky to me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
So what is the point of that? Since its anonymous it doesn't help the person who sent it and since she doesn't quote material it really doesn't help anyone else to avoid those mistakes. Just seems unnecessarily snarky to me.

It's not snarky at all. When agents snark queries on Twitter, it's a trainwreck in the making.

This was an agent's attempt to show queriers how she goes through her inbox and decides yes or no when it comes to requests. It's a very common question asked.

She couldn't quote without the writers' permission (bad form, as well as too much space).

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
I saw this on twitter yesterday and thought it was great. It didn't personally identify querying authors, (so no one was bullied or made to feel bad) and it let others get a feel for what goes on inside an agent's head when tackling their slush. I think she handled it nicely. No snark, just honest feedback.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
It's kind of stunning how many rejections are based on just plain mechanical failures of grammar and spelling. Puts things into perspective when you're angsting over whether your concept is fresh enough or whether your voice comes through clearly in the query.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

It does alert us to mistakes that turn agents off, and here they are:

• Does not tell what the book is about
  • Directs agent to a sample at a website
  • Pitch buried in the letter instead of up front
  • Weak writing/rhetorical questions and character descriptions
  • Run on sentences, poor grammar, poor spelling

The point is to make sure your query is the best that it can be.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Reaction score
Tweet #1 contains my pet error: "it's" used instead of "its!" Double pass! ;)
I noticed that straight away too.

I wonder how many people 'reject' an agent (i.e. decide not to sub to them) because of their spelling errors?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
There are many reasons behind why agents reject queries. A good blog to read (if you have a lot of time and enjoy having your eyes bleed) is Author! Author! http://www.annemini.com/

From what I've read, it's not uncommon for an agent (or more likely, the agent's assistant) to pass on a query by the end of the fifth written line. It doesn't matter if the agent's guidelines asked for five or 1,000 pages either: if there are errors in the query an agent will stop there.

Writers should view agents and their assistants as professional readers and the query as a first sample of what's to come.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Queries are supposed to be an author's very best representation of his or her work.

A tweet is typically given less attention than a facebook post.

A misspelling in one is not the equal of a misspelling in the other.

Anyway, I appreciate this. I like the "agents-eye-view" thing. And I like that so many were rejected over simple spelling and grammar errors, because it drives home something else I've seen on this board and elsewhere: if you can turn in a query that is relevant to the agent in question, with a greeting that addresses them specifically, without grammar and spelling mistakes, you're already in the top ten percent. Maybe higher.

The statistics on acceptances aren't so scary when you realize what most of the slush looks like.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of stunning how many rejections are based on just plain mechanical failures of grammar and spelling. Puts things into perspective when you're angsting over whether your concept is fresh enough or whether your voice comes through clearly in the query.

Also a concept that some people here, mainly newbies, need to pay attention to when posting.

THIS IS A WRITERS' SITE. FOR WRITERS.

BE ONE.

Pay attention to your spelling, grammar, general writing skills when posting here, in the same way you should when constructing whatever writing you intend to submit for publication. Practice may not make perfect, there being no such animal, but it damn sure does make for improvement and raising of standards, which will serve you well in the long run.

caw

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...it seems like most of those rejections are over things that I'd consider fairly commonsense. I imagine that agents and publishers get a ton of queries lack in the basic things like that, because there are a ton of unprofessional and unrealistic people out there. But I wonder how many queries this (and other) agents pass up even though there's nothing obviously "wrong" with them.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to pass on Tweet #5 because she misspelled "grammar." Wait! Tweet #1 contains my pet error: "it's" used instead of "its!" Double pass! ;)

I'll accept Tweet #4 because it shows what it really takes to get a "More, please": No egregious errors, and the story GRABS the agent.
I'm going to pass on this agent altogether. Someone who can't spell "its" and "grammar" and who also thinks there are degrees of uniqueness (Tweet #4) and drops a hyphen from "run-on" (Tweet #5) isn't fit to judge literary craftsmanship. So sayeth I.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
Wow. So because she didn't stop to edit her tweets, you'd pass on an agent who routinely takes the time to help unagented writers, shows amazing enthusiasm for all her clients and who also seems to be damn good at her job. I mean, if the major deal she got a client just last week is anything to go by.

Sorry. That's a little mind-boggling to me. If an agent was composing posts or blogging and making grammatical errors and common spelling mistakes, maybe...but real time tweeting, particularly when you're actually carrying on a conversation? There's critical, and there's getting carried away, IMO.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Wow. So because she didn't stop to edit her tweets, you'd pass on an agent who routinely takes the time to help unagented writers, shows amazing enthusiasm for all her clients and who also seems to be damn good at her job. I mean, if the major deal she got a client just last week is anything to go by.

Sorry. That's a little mind-boggling to me. If an agent was composing posts or blogging and making grammatical errors and common spelling mistakes, maybe...but real time tweeting, particularly when you're actually carrying on a conversation? There's critical, and there's getting carried away, IMO.

If it was her personal tweet stream, not so much. However. This is her professional one. Agents do not help writers purely because they are saints, they are business people and they recognise that helping writers is a good way to get a great reputation among us lot. To destroy that by not taking a little bit of care over her posting...well. It gets hammered into us over and over: This Is A Public Place, The Agents See All So Represent Yourself Well. It works both ways. An agent rejects a writer who makes grammar mistakes, I may reject an agent who does the same.

Goodness knows I have no legs at all when it comes to spelling mistakes, but somebody whose job includes spotting misuses of "its" and "it's" should not be capable of making those kinds of typos. It should be drilled into her fingers.

That said, it makes great reading. I hope more agents do this.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. First conclusion I think can be drawn from this is that someone screens Sara Megibow's queries. The reason I think this is a safe conclusion is there are no wrong genre (a big chunk of easy rejects for agents is sending the wrong genre/wrong agent -- since there are none here, I think it's safe to assume that someone screens out the real trash). Also not included are the grossly bad -- ones where you wonder if English is a language even used by the writer.

Based upon what we see in QLH, people at AW will avoid the gross rejection process and will actually make it to the agent.

So if you make it to the agent, you've got something in your query that attracts a minimum of attention. And then a whopping 50% are rejected because of simple editing failures (queries number 5, 7, 8, 9 & 10). Notice how it isn't one single error that sinks the query, but multiple errors. Basically you've got to master the basics of grammar and spelling. This error isn't too common on QLH, probably because we scare the crap out of people for that level of sloppy work.

Number 1 is commonly seen in memoirs and memoir-type fiction, although I've seen it in other genres. QLH has quite a few of this error. It seems to be caused by writers focusing on themselves and not the reader.

Number 2 is seen occasionally in QLH and just doesn't work. It's basic psychology. Until I'm really interested in something, I don't go looking for it. Yet people are convinced that they are that interesting that people will look.

Numbers 3 & 6 are the interesting ones. A decent query, possibly would get you an A in a class, but just not quite good enough. At 20%, this is a big group, and would represent an even larger group in QLH. And there's a possibility that 3 & 6 would be accepted by another agent. The almost there query (as well as the almost there manuscript) are the hardest to improve.

Number 4 probably got rejected by quite a few agents. It's clear it has a few problems. But it's good enough (which is actually a fairly high standard in this case). It's not perfect.

And if it is eventually posted someone, people will say it's not perfect and how come my imperfect doesn't work as well. And the answer is real simple. This one was good enough and yours isn't. There's a line between good enough and not quite there, but that line is definitely there.

It's always dangerous looking at a small sample size. But out of the queries that make it to the agents (I'm assuming most agents use someone to get rid of the gross errors), I think these percentages are probably pretty accurate. But these type rejections, providing the story has the legs to make it work, are the ones most likely to be improved by a process of good editing, beta readers, and places like QLH.

Yet each of these queries that were rejected were probably viewed by the writer as 'good enough,' if not pretty near perfect. And I'd bet at least 6 of the people who got rejected would not easily accept that there query isn't good enough and that the agent is wrong. People hate the idea of change.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thinks its a shame that agents don't have a slightly different "form rejection" they can select when passing that says something like, "I encourage you to engage the services of an editor." I guess the author might get offended or start an unwanted dialogue with the agent, though.

I've received some R's that I know aren't due to misspelling and such, but I think mine might be too short. I've been searching the threads for query related advice and popped in here.

Thanks for sharing the info Cyia.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to pass on this agent altogether. Someone who can't spell "its" and "grammar" and who also thinks there are degrees of uniqueness (Tweet #4) and drops a hyphen from "run-on" (Tweet #5) isn't fit to judge literary craftsmanship. So sayeth I.

You'll be passing on many of the best agents. Writers need to know how to spell, how to use proper grammar, and that there's only one degree of uniqueness, which I strongly disagree with. Makes sense for grammar, I suppose, but not for real world uniqueness.

Anyway, agents must be able to tell a publishable story from an unpublishable story, a talented writer from an untalented writer, and just enough grammar to know whether the writer is doing his job.

Rejecting an agent for the kind of mistakes this one made is the same as rejecting a writer because he doesn't know how to draw up a good contract, or how to sell foreign rights, even though he writes bestselling fiction.

If an agent can place my book with a top publisher, I don't care if she spells "dog" C-A-T", uses double negatives, and dangles her participle in public.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
I'm sorry, but it seems pretty silly to "reject" an agent for grammatical errors. They aren't writers. And yes, you want an agent who can notice errors in your work, but that's primarily YOUR job, folks. The agent's main job is to *sell* your work, and that requires an entirely different skill set.

Ms. Megibow has solid sales (just sold a series at auction in a major deal,) has loyal, happy clients, and works for an extremely well-respected agency. That's far more important than a grammatically pristine twitter feed, imo. ;)

ETA: Dang. James beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.