• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

HELP - Need to bounce some ideas around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weet

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to write a short science fiction story. The key word is short story - I want to turn this into a script of no more than 6 pages at some point in the future.

Here's what has come to me so far. Any ideas, suggestions, whatnot would be most appreciated! Keep in mind that this is all brainstorming and quite rough =)

I'm seeing three characters at most, two of which would need to be characterized well, the third less so. I'm getting glimpses of a political figure of some sort sitting on a judgement seat a la Rome. He's clearly THE one in charge. The story seems to be narrated by one of this political figures body guards (bodyguardA for lack of a better name). I get the feeling that a war is happening offworld and the leader is has power over one of two great factions.

Now comes the odd part.. I'm seeing a character with a marking of some sort on his body (maybe a tattoo? Or perhaps something more scientifically advanced?) which indicates his allegiance to a sect of anti-governement rebels turned assassin. The presence of this rebel group seems to permeate the society in distressing frequency though the political figures refuse to acknowledge the group. I see this character using his association with this sect to gain access to the "high level political figure" in an assassination attempt. Maybe he's even someone the political figure knows and therefore does not suspect? Somehow the assassination attempt (which seems to utilize a composite knife due to its ease of hiding and undetectable signature. Of course the government is not prepared for or expecting this sort of "crude" means of assassination) doesn't go as planned and one body guard is killed in the process. Bodyguard A from above responds by killing the assassin.

The assassination attemp has a profound affect on the people (for which reason I'm still trying to discover). It turns out in the end that the "Bodyguard A" is also a member of this rebel group and the whole event was planned as it unfolded (ie the bodyguard was supposed to kill his own assassin friend). What I'm struggling with is the reason for this strange turn of events. Why does the act of attempted assassination matter so much? Why not just assassinate the guy if the group is a bunch of rebels? What is to gain for the rebel group? How do I make these characters unique? What role does science play in all of this (it seems to perhaps be related to the agenda of the rebel group).

Help! I've hit a wall and need some people with which to bounce this idea around!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Why not just assassinate the guy if the group is a bunch of rebels?

How about if the political figure who was the target is actually the LEADER of the rebellion -- in secret? He's been accused in the press (or whatever this world has the equivalent of) of plotting with the rebels, so the assassination attempt (and the death of his comrades) clears him to topple the government from within.

Just a brief thought. Now, back to editing (sigh...) Have fun! :D

Weet

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :) It's much appreciated. I'm used to bouncing ideas back and forth with a close friend but he has recently re-located so I'm left to my own devices.

Oooh great idea! That certainly gives me something to ponder. Thank you!

I've also been wondering if the reason might be due to some technology? Maybe to "prove" that something works - or doesn't work? Argh I don't know. I feel the story needs a bit more science but the place for it keep eluding me.

Weet

Ok, new issue. At this point there really isn't any one character that changes in some way. It's also slighly ambiguous who the story is really about. Anyone have some ideas?

I'm thinking that maybe if I have the Guard be the one who the story revolves around. Make it so his decision to actually go through with killing the assassin (a person he knows) is difficult the real reason isn't revealed until the end of the story (at the same time the rest is revealed). Somehow I'm not sure that works though.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
If you go with my initial idea, then I'd do the story from the POV of the political leader who was to BE assassinated. Sure, he's the boss of the rebels, and this is all supposed to be part of the big plan, but what if someone in the rebels wants him dead? He wouldn't know, because he couldn't trust anyone. So you get that heart-pounding terror as the assassin creeps closer. The leader knows he's coming, and HOPES that there's only one plan, the one he created -- but war is war, and plans change. Then he can feel grief at the assassin's (his friend's) death, and remorse about his friend who is about to be killed too. Etc., etc. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck on emotional roller-coaster this way.

The nice part about this is that you don't have to reveal the REASONS for his emotions -- his fear, or relief or grief. You just feel it along with him until the end when you learn the truth. Then you also get the "behind-the-scenes" reactions of fear and relief from the other government officials (who he actually despises) and his reactions to those other officials and, therefore, his personal views on the government that the rebels are trying to upset.

Just my .02! :D

Last edited:

Weet

Wow fast reply! Thanks for all the help Cathy.

You make a good point. I'm just not sure how to translate that into a visual medium though (as I eventually will want to translate it onto film). It's easy to show actions but not easy to show what a character is thinking. I'm worried that showing the politician hanging around with a worried look on his face might not sell the viewer on the reality of the assasination plot. Then again, maybe it would do just the opposite? I like the "behind the scenes reactions" idea. That could be quite powerful visually.

The only reason I wondered about perhaps doing it from the guards perspective is that he's the one who actually has to pull a weapon and kill the assassin (of coures this is entirely moot if the guard isn't a member of the rebel group). That could be visually powerful.

Lots to think about!

Weet

One thing that is really bothering me is the lack of ties to technology and its affect on the human condition. I know the definition of Sci-Fi is broad but this almost feels like its closer to fantasy than sci-fi.

*sigh* Anyone have an idea? Anyone care to point out something I should go back and look at? Maybe take the story in a similar but different direction?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm just not sure how to translate that into a visual medium though

It actually translates quite well. Think of the original Dune movie (not the remake). By going from the POV of Paul Atreides, you're IN that very perspective -- hunted, yet also the hunter. It can be quite powerful (with the right actor) with just a look or a glance to convey a world of emotion. Think about the scene when the "seeker/hunter" is trying to kill him in his chambers. The images are terrific when he's trying to figure out WHO is behind the joystick running the weapon.

Weet

Oh wow, it's been forever since I've seen the old version of Dune (off topic but seeing Patrick Stewart in that movie always makes me laugh for some reason). I'll have to go find a copy and refresh my memory. Thank you.

As for technology and the motivation of the rebel group; I'm beginning to feel that the rebels believe the government supressed/changed history regarding some technology that would impact everyones lives (for worse more likely than better). I'm not sure how to integrate that with an assassination plot.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, it would be easier with a novel, but for a short story, how about if you make the assassination a COVER for a THIRD person sneaking in during the commotion to steal proof of the original history -- like from someone's personal library in the guarded section, or a safe or something? Something to get the populace to side with the rebels? Then, even if the hero (whichever you choose to be) dies, the actual goal of the mission succeeds. Of course, once again, nobody knows it.

It might also be interesting for the narrator/POV to be the THIRD person, who sees everything, and can comment, but the reader doesn't know much about him until he makes it into the open with the goods, to the cheering of the "good guys."

Just a random thought...

Weet

Hmm interesting. For some reason I'm not feeling that cover for a third person is ideal. Can't explain it rationally. :)

Here's a thought I had last night:

What if at this point in time war has effectively become an ineffective means of achieving an end? The only real way to make change is through the shoddy political system? In which case a faked assassination would open some door [not sure what] for the rebels. The narration could start with a brief intro of the ancient wars and technological advances that lead to the current ineffectiveness of war (ties in technology without being overly blatant about it) and then delves into the meat of the story? Some variation on that maybe?

The third person idea is very interesting. I'll have to think about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.