• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Distance learning, online courses, independent study ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reni

Work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello, everybody! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but it seemed most appropriate to me.

While I was in between college semesters, I lucked out and scored an editing position at a newspaper, which waylaid my education as I had a very unpredictable schedule and nowhere to fit classes in around my job. I kept saying I'd go back to college, but here I am three years later ... working in an editing position at a magazine, with nowhere to fit classes in around my job.

I very much want to finish my journalism degree, but the traditional college classroom situation doesn't look like it's going to happen for me. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any direction in finding a solid, accredited journalism program either online or through independent study or distance learning.

I'm almost done with a correspondence program I started a year ago, and this method of education has been very convenient for me as my instructor sets loose deadlines for assignments and I can work at my own pace when I have time, then simply mail assignments in and receive them back with my instructor's comments. The setback is this program only counts for a handful of credits, which I can apply to my "real" program if/when I find one that works for me.

I've been very discouraged so far in searching for a journalism program online. I've found plenty of "online journalism" courses (i.e., writing for the Internet) but that's not what I'm interested in. I'm seeking a real journalism degree from a real, accredited school.

Any suggestions? At all? :idea: Thanks in advance for any help!

Gozzy

Registered
Reaction score
USQ, Australia is good

Hi Reni,

I did a Postgraduate Diploma of Journalism by distance education thru the University of Queensland, Australia. It took 18 months as I worked full-time lecturing / freelance writing in Tokyo. I reckon I had to set aside somewhere between 10-15 hours for study a week (20 in the first semester because it was a wee bit of a shock studying again), which didn't hurt too much. The courses were well structured, albeit with some fierce deadlines (it is journalism) and and one or two early morning 3-hour exams at the Australian embassy before going to work!!!
Generally, I found it helped me to improve my writing / editing skills and broaden my writing horizons. I also got some really good feedback on some of the articles I wrote as coursework, which resulted in me getting them published in some nice magazines.
The feature writing modules were especially good, while some of the 101 classes seemed to have too many students and lacked a personal touch.

I think the link to USQ is http://www.usq.edu.au

There are also some good looking courses thru legitimate universities in the US and UK, but the tuition fees are higher.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.