From Cozy to Carnage-A Webinar

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone was thinking of attending this webinar with Barbara Poelle? If you don't know her, she's a good, really very funny agent with a lot of wisdom.

I thought the price was kind of steep ($89), but it would probably be worth it if you're in the "Who Should Attend" category (Oh, also, she does a Q and 1st page critique for every entrant, looks like):

Who should attend?

Writers who are actively querying agents and publishers in both adult and YA

Writers who feel they are hearing similar themes in rejection letters

Writers in the initial stages of writing who need to nail down what subgenre they are writing in and who would be most interested in their submission

Writers who will be pitching their concept at a conference

Writers who write for adults but are thinking of trying a YA novel in the mystery/thriller genre

The webinar is this Thursday at 1. If you go, let us know. I would love to hear about it!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write enough in the solid thriller/mystery genre or any of the subgenres to make the price worth my while. What I thought was a thriller morphed into alternative reality sci fi. I'm still looking for a vampire to fit in so I can call it urban fantasy. ;) It sounds like attendees may get some good, first-hand insights and overviews that will at least leave them better informed about the agent side of things.

Jilly McGilly

Crumpled!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got into town for the Backspace Conference, and now I'm thinking, why didn't I just do a $90 webinar? I'd love to know how the webinar went. Any takers?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Jilly. This is Very Important. Go to the West Village. (Subway stop: W 4th Street.) Find this place. Buy us all every chocolate item in the store. This is why you're at the conference. To get the chocolate!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Barbara Poelle a few years ago about a nonfiction project. She was overwhelmed with fiction at the time, but she was kind enough to give me a few pointers about my proposal and to refer me to another agent. The other agent ultimately declined, but her tips dramatically improved my proposal.

Unfortunately, when I finally got an agent (for my novel), he declined to sub it until he sold my novel, insisting that it would improve my platform. He never sold the novel (stopped subbing it after he bought out a nonfiction agency), so I've just recently started subbing the nonfiction book again ... on my own.

So what I'm saying, if you can get through all my rambling, is that Barbara Poelle is, in my opinion, absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

Jilly McGilly

Crumpled!
Registered
Reaction score
Jilly. This is Very Important. Go to the West Village. (Subway stop: W 4th Street.) Find this place. Buy us all every chocolate item in the store. This is why you're at the conference. To get the chocolate!

O. M. G.

I might be a little late to the conference tomorrow morning.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
The owner will make you items by special request. If you don't see any dark chocolate nonpareils, I recommend asking him to make you a bag or two. The peanut butter cups are sooo good, and the dark chocolate raspberry creams? Fab-u-lous! I try not to try anything else. :D