PDA

View Full Version : Is Reality TV "Reality" anymore?

CrastersBabies
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
I've heard that many reality television shows are scripted, or that they push for drama.

I find that I'm becoming more and more disgusted with "reality television."

Furthermore, these competition shows are a farce to me. When I see some chick on Project Runway who won a beauty pageant (and seems VERY well off already) competing for prizes and prestige, I get a little miffed.

When I see a singer on American Idol or X-Factor (who *gasp* already has an album, already DOES shows, already tours) trying to win, it bothers me. I want some unknown up there, someone who isn't already successful. I don't want to give the person who already HAS their foot in the door another foot, I want it to go to some undiscovered talent.

Same with some of these other shows. "Yeah, I'm a lawyer and I make 250k a year, but I really want to own a restaurant instead."

I dunno. Where is reality television heading? I'm losing interest. I have been for a while.

Thoughts?

Snowstorm
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't take reality TV as reality. I think they call it "reality" just because they have to call that genre "something".

I think the TV producers are running out of ideas. I shudder to think how TV will be 10, 50 years from now.

Jehhillenberg
11-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I know what you all mean. Couldn't agree more with the points.

Maybe at the inception of "reality shows" there was an essence of actual reality; the pioneering show about that family The Louds.

But 2000- is the era of reality TV and so it's just another form of television programming giving certain everyday people a chance at stardom.

I was highly disappointed to find out some of my favorite trashy reality TV shows are scripted to an extent. The betrayal! :D

My prediction, or guess, is that scripted reality will be around for a good while. It's cheap and works for [our] economy as it is. Great timing I suppose. More competition shows for "ridiculous" stuff. More discovering good TV personalities for ratings.

ETA: Hopefully actual scripted dramas will make a strong comeback, with created fictional characters, wardrobe, sets, and all. :)

shakeysix
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
One of my student's family was featured on the "Harvest" reality show. We are all having a good laugh over that episode because it is so far from reality. "Oh heavens! The field is on fire and we won't get any money for our hard work!"--s6

JimmyB27
11-02-2011, 05:14 PM
There's never been any reality in 'reality' TV.

seun
11-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't take reality TV as reality. I think they call it "reality" just because they have to call that genre "something".

Was utter crap already taken?

allenparker
11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Reality television is and has always been scripted. Look at the daytime television shows like Jerry and such. They look for people, real people with common denominators near as low as possible. Then they set the scene to excite and thrill the audience.

If we look at Survivor, the first season, you have to wonder how they caught some of those things they caught, like Whatshisname naked at the beach and the all the discussions about the alliance. It was silly from the start.

The bad news is that this is nothing new. People, in tight times, have always been willing to look silly on television or other venues for money, like the all night dance-a-thons of the depression times.

Just as the world turns to something new, something old emerges.

movieman
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Next thing you know, people will be asking whether documentaries are real.

Toothpaste
11-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Reality TV is of course not reality. And most of it is grating. And just plain disgusting.

However I do enjoy the shows where I get to see talented people create things and there is no public voting involved, but rather a panel of judges: ie. Project Runway and Work Of Art

I also like Amazing Race because it's a glorified game show, it isn't meant to be real life, it's clear it's all a game.

Shadow_Ferret
11-02-2011, 11:14 PM
The only true reality TV show was the original Candid Camera because those people did not know they were on TV.

Anytime someone knows there is a camera on, you will not get their natural reaction, therefore it isn't reality.

Steve Coate
11-03-2011, 04:09 AM
There's never been any reality in 'reality' TV.

This. Squared.

areteus
11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I suggest you seek out a couple of books by Ben Elton - Dead Famous and Chart Throb. One parodies big brother and the other X factor type shows. In those books he makes some very good points about reality TV. In particular in chart throb the line most characters say at one point or another is 'no one ever does the maths' referring to the disparity between the number of applicants and auditions cited (millions) and the time available for the judges to see them all and then goes into how much time the judges actually spend auditioning (1 day).

Reality TV has been scripted from the start. It's an old news trick called 'shooting to the script' - you have a script already lined up so you send the cameras out to find that script, as in select individuals who you know will give you the required soundbites and then edit them to make sure it comes across as you want. In reality TV you select your participants based on your script then encourage them to be the way you want them to be and edit them to show whatever angle you want. Some shows do it really well, others not so well.

The MG Renegade
11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I've heard that many reality television shows are scripted, or that they push for drama.

I find that I'm becoming more and more disgusted with "reality television."

Furthermore, these competition shows are a farce to me. When I see some chick on Project Runway who won a beauty pageant (and seems VERY well off already) competing for prizes and prestige, I get a little miffed.

When I see a singer on American Idol or X-Factor (who *gasp* already has an album, already DOES shows, already tours) trying to win, it bothers me. I want some unknown up there, someone who isn't already successful. I don't want to give the person who already HAS their foot in the door another foot, I want it to go to some undiscovered talent.

Same with some of these other shows. "Yeah, I'm a lawyer and I make 250k a year, but I really want to own a restaurant instead."

I dunno. Where is reality television heading? I'm losing interest. I have been for a while.

Thoughts?

You're completely right! Stores like Jersey Shore or any of the celebrity "reality" shows (Simmons, Kardashian, Spelling) are boring to me. I especially resent the Real Housewives shows...

I have grown weary of American Idol and X-Factor. I must admit though that I still watch America's Got Talent and Dancing with the Stars, but that's about it... The rest are truly scripted or TOO dramatic to be considered reality... :Soapbox:

dgiharris
11-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Meh, you guys are asking all the wrong questions and going about it the wrong way.

Its not whether Reality TV is real. The better question is HOW REAL, on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being scripted like an episode of "Friends" and 10 being like a reporter in the field during Vietnam.

Shows like Deadliest Catch and Man vs Wild are probably around an 8 or 9.

Shows like X-factor are probably a 5

Top Chef and project Runway are probably about a 7 or 8

Mel...

regdog
11-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Meh, you guys are asking all the wrong questions and going about it the wrong way.

Its not whether Reality TV is real. The better question is HOW REAL, on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being scripted like an episode of "Friends" and 10 being like a reporter in the field during Vietnam.

Shows like Deadliest Catch and Man vs Wild are probably around an 8 or 9.

Shows like X-factor are probably a 5

Top Chef and project Runway are probably about a 7 or 8

Mel...

I agree.

Take Deadliest Catch. The Bering Sea can't be scripted. Boats sinking, accidents happening, men dying, are part of being a fisherman. That part of the show is very real, editing months of footage to focus on arguing, confrontations or petty crap is the less than real aspect of the show. Sure, living on a boat for months at a time will cause anyone to fight, but to focus solely on it as they have many times is too much.

X Factor, American Idol, Kardashians are little more than poorly scripted tripe that has no "realism" in them.

movieman
11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
The better question is HOW REAL, on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being scripted like an episode of "Friends" and 10 being like a reporter in the field during Vietnam.

I'd question that definition of 'real'; I remember a Vietnam reporter saying that soldiers tended to die faster when the TV crews turned up because they'd play John Wayne for the camera and forget that the guys on the other side were firing real guns.

Even without a script, people behave differently when cameras are around. I've been on TV a few times in 'news' shows and we knew exactly what story we wanted to give the 'news' camera.

scarletpeaches
11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Reminds me of Schrodinger's cat. Observation alters the thing observed.