memoir partial request: include preface?

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
(I posted in the thread below about prologues, but then thought maybe this deserves its own post.)

I've written an issue-based memoir that includes a preface. The preface is 3 pages and includes a few key stats and facts about the issue. Then Chapter 1 begins the narrative.

When requested for a partial, should I include the preface? Does it count toward the number of pages requested?

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
It would count towards the number of pages and No, I wouldn't include it if it's background information. I want to read the book, not a load of statistics. It also sounds like it might go as comfortably at the end of the book as the beginning.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you've been asked for the first fifty pages, then that's what you should send. If those fifty pages include the prologue then send it; if the book is just as good without the prologue, then why are you including it?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
For the memoir (also issue-based) I co-ghostwrote, the subject included a prologue with introductory facts in her original draft. I don't remember at what point the information moved, but in the end, those facts were included in the epilogue, instead. The published book still has a very short prologue, but it sets the story rather than presenting facts about the issue. The facts are actually far more interesting once you've read the story and really care about the issue, rather than in advance, where they end up sounding preachy.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
If you've been asked for the first fifty pages, then that's what you should send. If those fifty pages include the prologue then send it; if the book is just as good without the prologue, then why are you including it?

It's a preface, not a prologue, and it is included because the issue my memoir addresses is really unusual and the stats/facts are helpful in setting up the narrative and introducing the issue.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
For the memoir (also issue-based) I co-ghostwrote, the subject included a prologue with introductory facts in her original draft. I don't remember at what point the information moved, but in the end, those facts were included in the epilogue, instead. The published book still has a very short prologue, but it sets the story rather than presenting facts about the issue. The facts are actually far more interesting once you've read the story and really care about the issue, rather than in advance, where they end up sounding preachy.

Moving it to the end might work nicely, actually. Thanks.