PDA

View Full Version : Boxing - ring position terminology

jmlee
10-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi...!

I'm in the middle of a brief but sort of important bare knuckle boxing scene and realizing I have no vocabulary for boxing terminology.

I don't need much but I'm wondering if there's a certain phrase I should be using when describing the position(s) of the boxers in the ring. In particular, is there a word or specific phrase to describe the rotation of the boxers within the ring -- i.e. If they have reversed positions since beginning the match.

Essentially the two boxers have begun with their backs to (their own) opposite corners (are they called corners??). I want to describe that boxer A now has her back to boxer B's corner and I don't want to sound ignorant.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

J

mirandashell
10-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Can we have a time-frame for this? If modern, it would be 'her opponent's corner.'

jmlee
10-31-2011, 01:30 AM
Yep, it's actually future, so it's... 21st century nostalgic. ha ha

Thanks!

Puma
10-31-2011, 03:58 AM
When boxers "dance" around and change position so their backs move from one corner to the next, it's called circling. Puma

mirandashell
10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Yep, Puma's right. Circling is good.

ironmikezero
10-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Opponents' corners and neutral corners... the flooring is referred to to as "the canvas"... a defensive fighter's back touching the perimeter ropes is said to be "on the ropes"... to quit is to "throw in the towel" (sometimes actually done by the fighter's mgr/trainer).

It's pretty simple, and likely best to keep it that way.

jmlee
11-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Great! Thanks!

What would one call one's own corner? Is it... a "home" corner?

ironmikezero
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Great! Thanks!

What would one call one's own corner? Is it... a "home" corner?

I don't remember hearing it called a "home" corner... If the fighter is a current (defending) champion, you might hear "the champ's corner" and the "challenger's" or "contender's" corner.

Since most fighters would be ranked (according to W/L record) and have not yet attained champion status, the possessive form of their names would be used to describe their respective corners; Sullivan's corner, Garcia's corner, etc.