PDA

View Full Version : need help naming a government organization

doomwdfortune
10-30-2011, 04:49 AM
i need help coming up with a good name and acronym for an American Federal law enforcement agency. the agency specialty in a mix of fields like intelligence investigation anti terrorism and a little swat like work i intend to us the name in a published work if I'm lucky enough

Maryn
10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
(Whoa. Spell check is your friend, okay?)

Is there a reason not to use the real agencies which do this work? Or will you be having this agency be super-secret, violating laws, and that sort of thing?

How about "i-cubed" (how people would say it), I3, for Intelligence, Investigation, and Intervention?

Maryn

ironmikezero
10-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Homeland Security (DHS) performs all those missions in one way or another. You might want to be more specific as to the areas of investigative and/or intelligence responsibility.

http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm

Debbie V
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Do you want ironic? Federal Law Enforcement Agency = Flea. Change Agency to Entity = Flee

Central Intelligence Integration Community = CIIC (pronounced sick.)

Less ironic but overblown: Home Enforcement Response Organization = Hero

Federal Response Enforcement and Domestic Operations Mission =Freedom

You can do anything with this. What tone would you like?

L.C. Blackwell
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
There's also a matter of commonly used names: among employees and others, the KGB was referred to as the Center; the FBI was the Bureau, and the CIA was simply the Agency.

SuzanneSeese
11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I have to do research on the CIA and special forces for my novel. I'm somewhat apprehensive to start digging around the internet when the government is involved. Should I worry about raising some eyebrows?

Because I know they're watching. ;)

ironmikezero
11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Stick to what's available in the public domain and what they might offer through the PIO. You'll be noticed, of course, but you won't be in any trouble. Now, trying to penetrate a firewall would be a different scenario altogether...

SuzanneSeese
11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Now, trying to penetrate a firewall would be a different scenario altogether...
I wouldn't be able to do that if I tried.

Thank you! I'm finding some links in these Story Research threads. I might go to the library for some research first before "getting noticed".

L.C. Blackwell
11-06-2011, 03:42 AM
They may be watching, but in all honesty, they couldn't care less. You'd have to be doing much more interesting things than that.

Go to Amazon or Ebay (half.com) and enter search terms to come up with a list of books. You can also check what your libraries have to offer, although unless you use interlibrary loan, this may be limited. You'll also want to look for a broad range of sources, since CIA officers writing their memoirs tend to have strong opinions, but not necessarily agree with each other. Additionally, there are books, purported to be written by intelligence insiders, which are pure tabloid journalism, and should be avoided--these are pretty identifiable, as they're either wildly sensational, or have an agenda to push: sometimes a combination of both.

Enjoy the search, and as long as you don't do anything illegal, you're fine. CIA officers are people too. :)