Agents & Edits & Partials, Oh My!

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a question about partials and agents and editing that I hope someone can answer...or at least shed some light on for me.

How reluctant are agents to submit a partial to a publisher?

For example, when my first work made the rounds at publishers I got a lot of positive comments but no deals - they were all interested, however, in my second WIP. In fact, several publishers asked to see a partial. I sent the first 50 pages to my agent, but she refused to send a partial, saying it would narrow our chances and that partials were extremely difficult to sell because it was much easier for an editor to reject a partial than a full. She insisted I make her suggested changes to it, finish it, and then send the full because it would build up the anticipation in editors who are waiting to see it. (I'm not sure I believe that, but what do I know?) And, of course, it causes me physical pain each time I see a PARTIAL sold on Publishers Weekly because someone out there is buying them, right?

And the same thing happened to a critique partner. Her agent refused to send a partial of book one in a series and overviews of subsequent books to an editor. She said she wanted to see the whole series before she pitched it - and, of course, we all know a series can take YEARS to write. So even though my partner is previously published, and the first book of the series is written and the overviews complete, the agent is balking. She gave her some amorphous comments about "fixing it," and said that they would push off any possible submissions until January.

So I guess my question is: Is this normal? Do agents not want to pitch partials? Or is it possible that the agents have fallen out of love with the ideas?

I sometimes feel like a hamster on a wheel, running and running but never getting anywhere.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Your situation doesn't sound particularly odd to me. Very few editors will buy a partial from an unknown writer. It's probably happened, but I can't think of a single instance (for fiction, since obviously non-fic is a whole different animal). After you've established yourself, it's easier to sell to editors on proposal (sample chapters and outline).

I don't follow PW for deals, I keep track on Publisher's Marketplace, and I've never seen a deal listed as being a partial or full. When you say partial, are you sure you don't mean proposal?

Your crit partner's situation seems a little odd. I can see her agent asking to see an outline of where she sees the series going, but not to actually write the entire series before pitching. That's pretty bizarre, because what if the series doesn't sell?

But generally, unless you're an established author with a good track record, agents probably won't go out with just a few sample chapters the first time out.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chaos!

I did mean to say Publishers Marketplace - oops.

I think what you said makes perfect sense, at least in my situation. I guess I'm just nervous that if I make the editors wait too long that they'll lose interest or worse - someone will pitch a similar idea to them and they'll grab that. But I can understand why my agent would want me to finish it before selling it, especially since I'm totally new to the game.

My friend's situation does concern me. I get the feeling that her agent has fallen out of love with her project. I just wish there was some magical way to transport what's in our heads directly into a completed MS without all those pesky days and months in between.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day I sold a YA novel to a publisher based on three chapters. But that was baaack in the day. And they had solicited it. They'd seen a non-fiction proposal of mine and said, "you should write this as a YA novel." So I did. And it was published. Not so easy these days.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like a hamster on a wheel, running and running but never getting anywhere.

Seems like you *are* getting somewhere. Editors want to see your second book, and you're writing it, right? That's excellent. :) Definitely sounds like forward progress.