PDA

View Full Version : The Fades (BBC)

BunnyMaz
10-29-2011, 05:57 AM
Blooooooooooooooooooody Hell.

I think the Beeb pretty much proved they still have what it takes with that finale, then. Bleedin' Nora. I'm running out of appropriate swears so fast I've had to revert to quoting my Gran.

Talk about gut wrenching. And just... just.

Chuffin' 'eck.

Anyone else seen them all?

If not, go over to the iplayer and do it. Now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=The%20Fades

DO IT.

And then we can all spoileriffically talk about it together.

BunnyMaz
10-29-2011, 07:23 AM
*edit*

For those of you that haven't heard of it, Fades is a six-episode horror/fantasy series on the Beeb about the afterlife, and the consequences of it getting borked. Gripping stuff. Starts out with, and continues to include, typical Beeb pared-down humour, but gets progressively darker each episode.

victoriajakes
10-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I've been debating watching this. How scary is it? (I want scary.)

BunnyMaz
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM
It is quite scary. It flips about between gore-based horror, dry comedy, and other forms of horror here and there. Definitely worth a watch.

Sarah G
10-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Loved this show, and just saw the last episode which was great! Bit scary in places for me but wow lol Hope they make a new series with more episodes.

childeroland
10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
After what happened with Sarah, will Dormer be back next series (especially since she's doing Game of Thrones?)

What exactly did Paul do wrong at the end that Neil told him not to mess with Ascension and the sky was turning red?

Neil is going to die a horrible death, right? Right?

BunnyMaz
10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't think there's going to be a second series. I hope not. he unanswered questions are what made the ending to awesome; like a short story that leaves you begging for more. It's a good way to end it.

Zelenka
10-29-2011, 08:16 PM
I haven't watched it since about episode three or four. I really wanted to like it, thought it was a good premise, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters. I may try again just to see how it finishes, if the last one's good.

alegory
10-29-2011, 08:19 PM
I was toying with the idea of starting a thread about this- looks like you beat me to it :tongue

I had a casual interest in this when I first saw it advertised but, after the first episode, I was totally hooked. I love the characters and how dark it became, the gore, the plot...

I thought it was really well written and casted. I'm not a fan of gimmicky characters who are overly-themed in terms of their personalities and I think Mac and Anna (in particular) could so easily have become just such characters but I loved them because the way they were played and their characters were scripted showed why they were like that. I never doubted they could be real people, you know?

I'm kind of torn between wanting and not wanting a second series. I'd love to see what happens next in terms of the story and what the characters do after everything that's happened but, at the same time, I agree with Bunny: there's something about those unanswered questions that makes it a whole lot more terrifying.

Eek, long post- sorry!

dpaterso
10-29-2011, 08:22 PM
We enjoyed it lots. Creepy/funny. Great newcomer talent (well not really, they've all been in other series before this).

-Derek

BenPanced
10-29-2011, 09:15 PM
iPlayer not available outside the UK viewing area.

So, neener.

BigWords
10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
I watched the first episode when it was broadcast, but (for one reason and another) missed the second - iPlayer is glitchy at best, and completely unwatchable the rest of the time, so I'm waiting on the DVD box-set.

rugcat
01-15-2012, 01:10 AM
The Fades (http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-fades/) is premiering in the US on BBC America tonight.

Seems like it might definitely be worth a look.

dragonjax
01-15-2012, 02:09 AM
FABULOUS. Thanks for posting, rugcat! Must set my DVR!

Tomspy77
01-15-2012, 03:57 AM
I don't think there's going to be a second series. I hope not. he unanswered questions are what made the ending to awesome; like a short story that leaves you begging for more. It's a good way to end it.

At risk of seeming like I'm spamming, I will post you a recent news item from a blog I edit.

There may or may not be a second series, the original plan was for three entire runs to tell the whole complete story.

http://www.cultbritannia.co.uk/2012/01/13/fades-producer-on-the-present-and-the-future/

Calla Lily
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I caught the first 3 eps on BBC on demand yesterday. Not bad. I like the actors. I zapped through some of the standard "humiliating HS scenes" and all of the psychiatrist scenes. So many series do that. It's old.

I liked how they did the worldbuilding in the first ep.

The only part that makes me laugh when I'm not supposed to is windering if everyone got lung disease from breathing in whatever they used as ash in the visions.

I'll give it a couple more eps.

dirtsider
03-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Not sure if there's another thread on this show yet. But I recently picked up season 1 of The Fades. Both funny and creepy. I'm only half way through season 1 so far. (Not hard considering it only has 6 eps. <shakes fist>)

The show's pretty much about a ghost/zombie apocolypse. The MC is a geeky 17 year Brit (it is a BBC drama) who finds out he really isn't crazy but actually is seeing things. So far, so cool.