Cover Art to Avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Really? The title alone makes me wonder, but the cover art is just bizarre.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I was going to say don't think it's fair to include self-published covers, but I looked them up and as far as I can tell, they're not. :eek: Although normally "Agnes and the Hitman" has a much nicer cover and I can't find that version anywhere but on that blog.

Bad covers at a safe distance are why I enjoy this site so much: http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/

It shows a new terrible professionally published science fiction or fantasy book cover every weekday. I've seen some bad cover sites which are really over-the-top mean, but this one has a genuine sense of humor. It even had an actual cover artist show up and apologize. ;)

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
J7RRH.jpg

This is excellent!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have never seen that Agnes and the Hitman cover, either. What edition is that? The original US cover (same for hardback and paperback) is quite attractive.

The Rifleman tie-in novel cover is pretty standard design for a late 50s/early 60s TV tie-in paperback. I've seen many worse examples of the genre!

On edit: I was disappointed by the Satan Burger cover. Presuming we're talking about the same edition, let me summarize for those who don't want to look at it: it's a fairly well-composed, slightly grainy black-and-white photo of a naked person crouching on a restaurant table above a plate, presenting their rear end to the camera. The font is a bit tacky, but it really isn't a design disaster in my opinion. It's Mellick's most tasteful cover by a mile, too--artsy nude photographs are so much more appealing to me than the gory pinup caricatures I've seen on his other books.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think perhaps you are a little to harsh with covers from another era...

The Andre Norton one is from the late sixties or early seventies . SF&F back then was just taking off and while some books had Frank Frazetta covers, most did not. There is also the fact that in the fifties and sixties, space was still pretty unknown, thus you got a lot of green men and flying saucers on covers. The readers from back then would not have been turned off as it was pretty common.

You might try reading some of Ms Norton's work. It was very early SF and she was later named as the first Grand Dame of SF&F. If my memory serves. A honor I think she well deserved...

As to the Rifleman cover, it was a studio shot and look at the price of the book from Dell. That had to be late fifties or early sixties...

Would these covers past muster today. Not really, but then again, I wouldn't say they are all the worse covers ever.

Of course, opinions vary...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see anything wrong with the Rifleman cover initially. And then I looked at the position of that log and went, "Ooooooh."

Still don't see anything wrong with the Norton though. It's pulpy and weird, sure, but it has its own charm.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
In my misspent youth, I had to do a thesis paper on book covers in the SF&F field, from 1965 to 1987 (the year I did the paper).

Without droning on, marketing was still finding its way. In the pre-Star Wars era, SF was still mostly identified by pulp images (bug monsters and scantily-clad babes) or pompous abstract paintings meant to evoke a futuristic vibe. Fantasy got a huge boost with the Tolkien revival of the early-seventies (when Frazetta duked it out with the Brothers Hildebrandt for cover styles.)

It's not so different today. We have some stunning artwork, but there are still tropes that help identify genres and writers. Sometimes, with very little representation of the actual characters, setting, or plot.

M R Mortimer

SF Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suspendedearth.com
ROFL - its great looking through old covers sometimes, but I agree with the "other times" assessment - a lot of them would have been considered brilliant designs in their day. THey still are a bit tragic. Some of their ilk hold up though and that makes it all the more sad!

I'm just glad none of my covers have made such a list! At least if they did I could only blame myself - I figure why pay somebody else for their artistic talent when I can take the blame myself? lol.

nchahine

Something should go here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
noorachahine.wordpress.com
Oh, my eyes! I think every author's worst fear is that someday they'll get published only to be stuck with a cover art just as bad as these.

I hope that Blazing Embers cover was a joke...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
In my misspent youth, I had to do a thesis paper on book covers in the SF&F field, from 1965 to 1987 (the year I did the paper).

Without droning on, marketing was still finding its way. In the pre-Star Wars era, SF was still mostly identified by pulp images (bug monsters and scantily-clad babes) or pompous abstract paintings meant to evoke a futuristic vibe. Fantasy got a huge boost with the Tolkien revival of the early-seventies (when Frazetta duked it out with the Brothers Hildebrandt for cover styles.)

It's not so different today. We have some stunning artwork, but there are still tropes that help identify genres and writers. Sometimes, with very little representation of the actual characters, setting, or plot.

Aw. I ... kind of liked the pompous abstract futuristic covers.

I agree with IceCreamEmpress about Satan Burger. Its cover image is personally distasteful to me, but it is (speaking purely artistically here) not bad. It's a well-done piece of art suggesting something gross.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
What in the name of arse is going on with the old guy, the bath and what looks disturbingly like a child?

Reaction score
That's erotica for the seniors among us, apparently.

But nonetheless disturbing.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I like the two women just standing there watching in a terribly disinterested fashion. Like any minute now they're going to decide that watching a nearly naked man sword fighting a squid is boring and go get a latte. And the fighting doesn't exactly look like a desperate battle to the death either. More like street theatre. They'll split the take at the end of the day and go for a couple of beers together.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Dunno. He's got a nice backside, Becky.

I liked the abstract covers, too, Alessandra. They were a little more thought-provoking than the bug monsters and the bored babes. (I haven't the faintest idea where that paper went. It got a good reception, but this was in the days before thesis work went online. And I've moved three times since then.)

Status
Not open for further replies.