Tips on getting more subscribed members?

lotus7

Getting the hang of it all
Registered
Reaction score
Any advice on how to get more subscribed members for a writing blog?

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Here's something I posted on another board when a similar topic came up--maybe it will help.

Blogging Tips for starting up a blog

1) Understand your audience. Who are you targeting--writers? Readers? A certain type of writer (Just Sci-fi writers, YAers, etc)? People with common interests, and hobbies? Something else? Whatever it is, really think hard about who your IDEAL audience is.

2) Once you understand who your audience is, think about what they want. What is your ideal audience searching blogs for, hoping to find? Most importantly, think about what your audience needs MOST, and then try and give it to them. Case in point, my blog specifically targets writers and provides descriptive writing aids to help them succeed. Blogs posts should be all about ADDING VALUE to your audience. Think of posts you can do that offer value. If your audience is writers, the three core areas I believe are the most popular are: 1) blogs that center around a theme of writing support, 2) blogs that are essentially time savers by providing great links/reviews/article that will help writers & 3) blogs that offer writing tools and strong writing information. You don't have to cover only one thing on your blog, but one thing should stand out as the 'main' focus.

3) Interact with other bloggers, visit other blogs and comment. Visit the blogs of the people who visit you, find blogs that are similar or complimentary to your blog's focus. Check out the people who comment on those blogs, because likely they will also be interested in yours. Comment, follow and most will come check out your blog too.
smile.gif

4) Post regularly, as in every week. If you post twice a week, that's great. Twice a month...it's hard to retain your audience. Most people have a lot of blogs in their Google readers, and if they don't see a pattern happening with your posts, they may miss your content. Don't pick an 'aggressive' posting schedule that you can't keep up, like posting every day. Once you add twitter and blog visiting...it cuts into your writing time.

5) Link to your blog. This can mean cross promotion with other blogs in sidebars, putting a link (and description if possible) in your signature in every forum you post on, post in the 'What did you blog about' thread here and on other forums. If you belong to a writing forum that doesn't have this thread, start one.
smile.gif
Connect your blog to Facebook network blogs so your posts show up there, and post a link to the posts (using #writing #amwriting hashtags) on Twitter & post to Google+ (if you have an account).

Other tidbits:

--Try a giveaway or contest. I've done both, both for prizes and critiques. Always a hit.
--Find guest posters who draw a crowd. There are some well know folks in the blogging world that people will come to your blog to read their guests posts--find people who fit your audience and ask them to post on a like-topic but with a slant that will make it stand out as unique.
--Offer a link round up. This goes back to the 'saving time' thing. We can't be everywhere at once, so a strong link list once a week will draw readers especially if they are really strong content that fit your audience's needs.
--Participate in blog chains or start your own. A blog chain is where many bloggers get together and all blog on a certain topic on a certain day/week. Each person links to the others, multiplying your exposure. This is a good way to start up a following. An excellent example of this idea is the 'blog Crusader': http://rachaelharrie.blogspot.com/p/list-of-crusaders.html
--Offer to guest post on other blogs. Extend your reach and post on other blogs.
smile.gif

If you like, I've written quite a few blog posts about blogging which you could also check out. I've guest posted as well, and those are listed in my blog header under Guest Posts. For quick tips tho, check out the label Blogging Tip. These have been very popular with readers and will really help make sure your blog is readable, usable and is getting the biggest bang for your buck!: http://thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com/search/label/Blogging%20Tip

At the end of the day tho, STRONG CONTENT is the best way to create a blog following. If you strive to offer posts that give your audience something to take and build into their knowledge base, then word spread and the rest will follow. Everyone, no matter what level of writer they are, has a unique viewpoint and can offer something new to readers! Post on topics you are passionate about and try to offer as much value as you can to the audience. People will come, I promise!

lotus7

Registered
Reaction score
Angela, great advice! I've been doing some of these things already, but not everything. Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to checking out your blog.

lotus7

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:Angela, love your blog and just subscribed

Damir

Registered
Reaction score
Great advices Angela.